Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #1121
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
On the topic of what-ifs, are there any other players you guys think would be higher if the season’s played out like a normal season? I think the top 10 would be a lot more solidified if we had seen more of Guenther and Sillinger (as mentioned), but McTavish imo would’ve made a big statement.
It would have been nice to see Wyatt Johnston and Ryan Winterton for the whole year. There will be other OHLers, Jacob Holmes and Ty Voit come to mind, that might have infiltrated the first few rounds. Holmes still might get picked in the third.

Last edited by Sandman; 06-19-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #1122
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the Nazarov twins related to Andre?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #1123
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Dylan Guenther and Ryder Korczak did it. Jack Finley was close. Closer to home, Connor Zary did it. 67 points in 63 games as a 16 year old versus 53 in 48. Zary didn't go top five. The assumption is weak IMO.
Korczak and Zary are late draft birthdays which allowed them to have a full season of WHL experience prior to putting up those numbers which is huge.

Finley put up under a point a game in his draft year. Not comparable.

Guenther and Sillinger are the only one's to put up those numbers in their 1st full seasons which is massive.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #1124
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Latest Draft Consensus document

https://www.calgarypuck.com/wp-conte...onsensus-2.pdf

Now has 18 different rankings (plus the two not included CSB ranks).

Deep enough that we're not seeing a lot of change any more. I added Scott Wheeler's ranking from March, but I'm sure he will do an update in the next couple of weeks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #1125
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I can't find anything on these two except a Facebook (of all places) highlight video of Dmitiry and only Eliteprospects has files on them. Hockey DB doesn't even have them.

No bios no nothing. Other than height/weight handedness.

I think it'd be fun to trade up to a pick above or below one of the Flames picks in later rounds and draft them at the same time though. From what I saw on the highlight video they're interesting players.

Both of off handed wingers. Ilya I'd a LHS RW and Dimity is a RHS LW. It'd be a fun little story.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #1126
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No, I don’t believe so. Not that I can find.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #1127
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Crazy how the draft night is still 5 weeks from today
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #1128
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Korczak and Zary are late draft birthdays which allowed them to have a full season of WHL experience prior to putting up those numbers which is huge.
This is bull####. Of their draft classes they fell within the constraints of draft rules. They had at most maximum of six months advantage, which in the minor hockey system makes them from the same draft class. Their draft year production is what was used as a comparison, and that is consistent. What excuse is next? The sun was in their eyes?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #1129
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
This is bull####. Of their draft classes they fell within the constraints of draft rules. They had at most maximum of six months advantage, which in the minor hockey system makes them from the same draft class. Their draft year production is what was used as a comparison, and that is consistent. What excuse is next? The sun was in their eyes?
Huh?

More time/experience isn't a factor?

You're sarcasm is suggesting someone introduced a player's religious beliefs into a hockey conversation, not something tangent like age and development time.

I don't write a player off when he's one of the older ones in his draft class, but there is a factor that has to be looked at there.

The whole thing is about the player's arch, and if you draft a guy that isn't as deep into his arch there is potentially more there.

It certainly isn't bull####.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #1130
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Re: Latest Draft Consensus document

That's awesome. FWIW I've found out of about 8 forecasters over the years Bob McKenzie has been the closest to predicting the top 10 and top 30 of all of them. I seem to recall him nailing the top 12 in a row a few years ago.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GS Skier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #1131
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Re: Latest Draft Consensus document

That's awesome. FWIW I've found out of about 8 forecasters over the years Bob McKenzie has been the closest to predicting the top 10 and top 30 of all of them. I seem to recall him nailing the top 12 in a row a few years ago.
Should be a fun tool on draft day ... even with the second round pick etc. When you see a guy had a player that Calgary took in the 40s at 27 it's interesting.

Personally building it has been great for getting to know the names.

But I'm sure there were be a bunch of surprises on draft day. Man I love draft day. Hopefully day two isn't such a slog this year, that was insane last year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #1132
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the plan was all back to normal for draft day. Where's 8t being held and what are the covid rules for that region?
Old 06-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #1133
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry if I missed it but is the draft happening in person this year or virtually?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #1134
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's being held remotely again. Just looked. So prepare for savage lolligagging.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 02:18 AM   #1135
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

RW/LW Sasha Pastujov,6'0"183lbs (USHL): 18gp/10g/16a/26pts, 6th in the USHL for p/gp. That was after his time playing on the USDP's Under 18 squad, putting up 30g/35a/65pts in 41 games-1st overall with 1.59p/gp. Also played in the U-18 tournament, where he was the top-scorer for team USA with 8pts-the next highest scorer for his team had 5pts. He was USA's best player, despite being constantly keyed on. Pasta possesses a toolkit of high-end offensive weapons, including sharp hockey-sense, anticipation, and vision. He has an innate feel for the offensive zone, and is a play-driver. He also has a pro-caliber shot, that he can get off from anywhere, and a quick, deceptive release. He often plays his off-wing, and has accurate one-timer that he uses off the rush, or on the PP-his wrister is dangerous as well.

Pasta is an immaculate passer, and can get the puck to high-danger through traffic, even from across the ice. His distribution is elite, and often flashy-and together with his lateral mobility, he can open space, time, and lanes. Finds, and creates seams out of nothing, and controls the PP from the half-wall. Ridiculous IQ, one of the best in this class. Another area where he is one of the elite, is his stick-handling prowess-he's creative and confident with the puck, and is calm and poised maneuvering and making plays through tight-traffic. Makes deking through defenders look routine. He's ultra-patient-scans for plays while multiple attackers are on him. These skills make him great in transitioning through the neutral zone, and making clean, controlled entries, or tape-to-tape passes. His vision and puck control help him to dictate the pace and create scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates. He has patience to open lanes, drawing attackers to him to make the open space for plays. Fantastic offensive awareness, and can execute high-end plays in tight. Great deception in manipulating opponents with subtle movements in his body, hands, and feet-and changes in pace and direction. He's difficult to defend with his stickhandling and elusiveness.

Pasta works hard in dirty areas, goes to the net and battles, can play physical, and has a good understanding of his duties in all three zones. He's a reliable defender, with a good stick and decent positioning, and wins battles along the wall, and the net-front. Gets time on the PK, where he pressures defenders, and causes turnovers. Lays down good back-pressure, and helps out his D. Good work-ethic and a non-stop motor.

There's been talk about his skating being a negative, but those concerns are highly overstated, and many scouts agree. He looked just fine in the U-18s. His mobility is above average, but needs more explosiveness and better acceleration. It's decent, albeit not spectacular. He achieves a very good top-speed, and he actually has high-level edgework and lateral agility to weave through traffic. Many of his perceived flaws will be worked out as he gets stronger. He's not always as engaged defensively as one would want him to be, and he sometimes struggles with his exits. His play without the puck needs some work, as he sometimes looks lost. Next year he'll be playing at Notre Dame, where he'll have time to work on these things, but this is the player that everyone will wonder how he lasted so long in the first round. IMO, I like this player just as much as guys like Lucius, McTavish, and Lysell.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 02:29 AM   #1136
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Last year's trade down was fun because they still got Zary and balanced out their pick deficit.

But I'm not sure there's enough value in the extra picks coming in to warrant a trade down. Unless they've dealt some of their other picks before hand on trades.

What extra picks are they getting?

How can we know this without that answer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #1137
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be upset if the Flames took Sasha Pastujov at 12. I would rather them trade down to pick him, but I think Sasha Pastujov is clearly a good player.

Some of the best production in the draft despite being one of the youngest. It also seems like his skillset would translate well to a fast-paced NHL setting.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 12:39 PM   #1138
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I wouldn't be upset if the Flames took Sasha Pastujov at 12. I would rather them trade down to pick him, but I think Sasha Pastujov is clearly a good player.

Some of the best production in the draft despite being one of the youngest. It also seems like his skillset would translate well to a fast-paced NHL setting.
The problem with trading down to pick someone, is that there’s no guarantee they’ll still be there.
Rick M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #1139
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The problem with trading down to pick someone, is that there’s no guarantee they’ll still be there.
You do it if you are happy with any of X number of players and the gap of picks is less than the happy list.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #1140
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You do it if you are happy with any of X number of players and the gap of picks is less than the happy list.
I agree, but it means you don’t have one guy in mind.
Rick M. is online now   Reply With Quote