Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #341
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were standalone CTs?
Old 06-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #342
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
There were standalone CTs?
Yup, the one on 64th next to Deerfoot. It's a Save-on now. The one in Dalhousie isn't to bad(for access, not the inside!), either. It's basically a stand alone.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #343
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canadian Tire on Macleod Trail is a stand-alone. The Pacific Place one on 36th is part of a mall, but it's certainly not a "power centre".
Old 06-17-2021, 03:23 PM   #344
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Westhills is way worse.

The area down by Copperfield is also a total mess.

But these areas are designed so that cars go slowly.
As someone that frequents Westhills, it is not the worst.

Only time it is bad is on weekends afternoons when people can't figure out how to navigate the 4 way stops.

Beacon dwarfs it with its awful, "funneled" entrance that isn't designed to support a high volume of traffic.

SH superstore area can get a bit hairy but the new westhills way exit to the ring road makes getting in and out much easier now.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #345
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yup, the one on 64th next to Deerfoot. It's a Save-on now. The one in Dalhousie isn't to bad(for access, not the inside!), either. It's basically a stand alone.
It was not standalone. There were other shops in the same parking lot.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #346
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
As someone that frequents Westhills, it is not the worst.

Only time it is bad is on weekends afternoons when people can't figure out how to navigate the 4 way stops.

Beacon dwarfs it with its awful, "funneled" entrance that isn't designed to support a high volume of traffic.

SH superstore area can get a bit hairy but the new westhills way exit to the ring road makes getting in and out much easier now.
Nope, it's worse. BH has a back route that's handy.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:37 PM   #347
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it felt stand alone, because you could pull in off a residential street and be right there. As opposed to the new one, where you literally cut through the centre of a mall to get to it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #348
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Is anyone else concerned about the lack of future large parks in this City to semi- keep up with population growth?

I see Fish creek being closed off in the south to future development and from I understand the Community planning document, it isn't really pro-parks.

Calgary is pretty spoiled, and as population increases, it would be nice to stay spoiled with extending our massive park system.
Originally there was all sorts of planning for fish creek to continue south all the way to Policemans flats along the river, but I don't think the developers and province could ever strike a deal. Such a shame, now there's just a bunch of random pathways that only people who live there use (Riverstone especially)
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #349
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well it felt stand alone, because you could pull in off a residential street and be right there. As opposed to the new one, where you literally cut through the centre of a mall to get to it.
These things were few and far between. Even by the 80s many of them were
"powered centered".
Old 06-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #350
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. That was a baby power centre. A horrifying sign of what was to come.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #351
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

As posted in the local restaurant thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Good news! Smugglers is coming back with new ownership. Bolero too along with Open Sesame renamed Monsoon.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/c...ck-in-business
Looks like they’re doing some renos in the Smugglers space but hopefully the same menu returns. Salad bar might be gone though.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #352
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Looks like they’re doing some renos in the Smugglers space but hopefully the same menu returns. Salad bar might be gone though.
That would be sad. When I was a young man and didn’t know any better, I thought Smuggler’s steak soup was the must-get item at the salad bar. In the fullness of my maturity I realized I had been wrong - it’s the Portuguese black bean soup.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #353
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That would be sad. When I was a young man and didn’t know any better, I thought Smuggler’s steak soup was the must-get item at the salad bar. In the fullness of my maturity I realized I had been wrong - it’s the Portuguese black bean soup.
We used to just call it....gravy.

Damn that stuff was outstanding though.

Sad to hear new ownership as i feel they will lose a lot of what made it my go-to place.

There was an item that wasn't on the menu.

Cajun prime rib sandwich with a side of garlic mash.

I could eat it every day if I had the chance.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #354
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love Smuggler's blackened prime rib. I don't usually order prime rib in restaurants because it is almost always under seasoned (including smugglers regular prime rib). I get it, restaurants have to cook for the masses and the masses generally tend to prefer more on the bland side of things. Like people who frequent Canadian Brewhouse and talk about how great the food is. That tells me you cannot cook or be trusted to judge food on any level.

Best Prime rib i ever had in a restaurant was at Red Lobster. People always look at me funny when i say that but I used to work there and never got sick of it. They don't do it any more but it was great. Nice thick crust on exterior.

I know the recipe so i cook mine very similar to that. Mary's browning sauce as a binder, a combination of garlic, home made blackening spice and Montreal steak spice. Cook on pellet smoker (or similar) to 107 F internal at 250 F. I then move to masterbuilt chip smoker with no chips and set to 150 F(I can't get my pellet below 170F. It takes about 3 hours to get to 130-135 F (medium rare). I gave this recipe to a friend who was having McGratton and Stajan families over a couple years back. He said they were blown away.

Last edited by guzzy; 06-24-2021 at 07:50 AM.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #355
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Sad to hear new ownership as i feel they will lose a lot of what made it my go-to place.
My dad used to be buddies with Frank Krowicki, who would host poker nights in a private dining room upstairs. The drinks were comped, of course, and before kitchen closing he’d have prime rib sent up. Nice game to get into.

The guy was a character who led quite a life.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...645&fhid=18552
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #356
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The King Eddy:

Quote:
That's right, folks! Our three-season rooftop opens July 1.
Did you know you can make reservations for July 2 onwards?
Reserve at kingeddy.ca/reservations. Please note: #CanadaDay is first come, first served.
https://www.facebook.com/KingEddyYYC
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:24 PM   #357
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What a brutal start it was.

Quote:
Born in Poland in 1935, when Frank was four years old his father was forcibly removed by Russians from the family home, never to be seen again. He and his three (step) siblings, mother and visiting aunt were captured and sent to northern Russia. Frank and his brother were put in an orphanage where the treatment of children was unspeakably brutal -only 10 % of the children survived. His two sisters died in Siberia. Through a political exchange program, the remaining family was reunited and sent to Zambia to a refugee camp. Life in Africa, though difficult, was a paradise compared to his earlier hardships.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #358
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
My dad used to be buddies with Frank Krowicki, who would host poker nights in a private dining room upstairs. The drinks were comped, of course, and before kitchen closing he’d have prime rib sent up. Nice game to get into.

I knew Frank well in my younger days.

Actually know Tim Worman really well and glad they are bringing him back to oversee things.

I spent a LOT of time (and $$) in Backstreet and associated restaurant back in the day. Hell I played on their slo-pitch team at times.

Many good friends to this day out of that place and most of them former employees.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #359
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I went to Smugglers more for the time-warp good feelings than the food (although also good). I'm a little disappointed to here there are renovations. Hopefully the vintage character will be retained. The article says the chairs are staying at the very least.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #360
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I went to Smugglers more for the time-warp good feelings than the food (although also good). I'm a little disappointed to here there are renovations. Hopefully the vintage character will be retained. The article says the chairs are staying at the very least.
It makes sense to keep the chairs. Can you imagine how much it would cost to haul them out of there?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote