Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #321
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's a funny page. Pay us $1330 now! No indication of how much per sq/ft or installation costs, or dates, or how much power you can expect, just pay us! What a time to be alive. Do people actually do this? Give a company a bunch of money with little to no idea of any details, just for the privilege of being a beta tester?
Not sure why you are reacting like this. There is pricing information available as well as more details on how they work.

As Flash indicated the deposit is refundable.

Considering the strength of the tiles/shingles, it almost seems like a no brainer. Have to think it will also significantly increase the value of our home, especially in 10-15 years when solar is really popular on homes.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #322
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Not sure why you are reacting like this. There is pricing information available as well as more details on how they work.

As Flash indicated the deposit is refundable.

Considering the strength of the tiles/shingles, it almost seems like a no brainer. Have to think it will also significantly increase the value of our home, especially in 10-15 years when solar is really popular on homes.
Well I couldn't find it on their site. From what Bossy22 posted, you have to pay the deposit before you can access the calculator.

I do think it is a good idea, I just think paying a deposit for an unknown total cost is silly.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #323
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Considering the strength of the tiles/shingles, it almost seems like a no brainer. Have to think it will also significantly increase the value of our home,
It depends, not everybody is going to want to pay for a house where 30-40% of its original costs was tied to the the roof.

Quote:
especially in 10-15 years when solar is really popular on homes.
At which time, the solar of the future may very well devalue current panels. Or where if Alberta reduces the value of net-metering or goes to time of day pricing, the economics of home solar collapses.

Last edited by accord1999; 05-12-2017 at 11:40 AM.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #324
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well I couldn't find it on their site. From what Bossy22 posted, you have to pay the deposit before you can access the calculator..
You can do it by by going to (make sure to select the US region):

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

And then entering an American address.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #325
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It depends, not everybody is going to want to pay for a house where 30-40% of its original costs was tied to the the roof.

At which time, the solar of the future may very well devalue current panels. Or where if Alberta reduces the value of net-metering or goes to time of day pricing, the economics of home solar collapses.
So much stupidity, so little time. Notice the thing in their drawings called the Tesla wall? Complete off the grid solution where your grid connection only provides on-demand backup power. Net-metering is irrelevant.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #326
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So much stupidity, so little time. Notice the thing in their drawings called the Tesla wall?
14 kWh, C$8750. Even if you go through 3000 cycles at the full 14 kWh (which will likely kill the battery prematurely) that is a cost of 20.8c/kWh just to store electricity.

Quote:
Complete off the grid solution where your grid connection only provides on-demand backup power. Net-metering is irrelevant.
How can it be an off the grid solution when you're still on the grid?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #327
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a former roofer I may be biased, but I always laughed when Elon suggested it would be as affordable as a regular roof. And I'm a Musk fanboi.

These roofs are crazy unaffordable. They estimated the average cost of a asphalt roof around 6$, in Calgary for example it's around half of that. They also took 13.7 cent per KWH as their price of electricity, in Calgary it's currently 3 cents.

They also estimated the cost with only 35% of the tiles being solar generating, but when doing the electricity estimates they used 50% of the tiles being solar producing.

Quote:
. Previously, Consumer Reports had determined that a textured glass tile solar roof should cost no more than $73,500, including installation, to be competitive with an asphalt roof. That price factors in the about $2,000 a year a household would save on electricity bills in some of the country's more favorable solar markets, such as California, Texas and North Carolina.
Let's say your typical roof costs 8500(higher then the Calgary average). That means you've invested a extra 65,000 for a 2,000 yearly return? That's a pretty paltry 3% return. And that's in the sunny southern states, returns are gonna be even worse for northern/cloudy/neighboorhoods with lots of high trees.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #328
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/10...ry-china-year/

GM is building a battery factory in China and says that by 2020 two-thirds of all new vehicles they sell there will be "new energy" vehicles.

Yup, sure looks like EVs wont catch on calgaryblood.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #329
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
GM is building a battery factory in China and says that by 2020 two-thirds of all new vehicles they sell there will be "new energy" vehicles.
Two-thirds of all new models is not the same thing as two-thirds of vehicles available for sale.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #330
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two-thirds of all new models is not the same thing as two-thirds of vehicles available for sale.
Ah, one of those guys. Getting crushed by reality so have to resort to semantics.

Tinordi said 2/3 or all new vehicles they sell. That means 2/3 of units sold, that being a transaction of sale between a dealer and a consumer, will be of new energy technologies. Seems pretty straight forward.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #331
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The article that Tinordi linked to says:

Quote:
GM says that two thirds of all new models introduced to the Chinese market between now and 2020 will be “new energy vehicles.”
Old 05-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #332
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly. In other words, they can sell as many Equinoxes and Malibus as they want provided that they don't introduce a bunch of new gas-powered cars. I'm not even sure how often GM comes out with a new model... you'd think they could just keep re-packaging what they sell now ad nauseum. Even if they discontinued a model in the USA, they could just keep selling it in China. It's a pretty easy commitment to skirt.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #333
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the key with the roof tiles are the incentives. For Californians, great, for Albertans, not so much. If I were building a new home, I would be installing these, but that's 5 years away.
I have a friend in Marda Loop who already has solar, and he's ordered a couple of powerwalls.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #334
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Exactly. In other words, they can sell as many Equinoxes and Malibus as they want provided that they don't introduce a bunch of new gas-powered cars. I'm not even sure how often GM comes out with a new model... you'd think they could just keep re-packaging what they sell now ad nauseum.
Usually it's about 5-7 years for a completely new design so GM may only have a few new models total by 2020 with a couple that are EV or hybrid (or maybe just have EV/hybrid variants).
Old 05-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #335
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I have a friend in Marda Loop who already has solar, and he's ordered a couple of powerwalls.
Do you know their reasoning?
Old 05-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #336
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess what I mean is that I don't actually know what qualifies as a "new model". Every few years a car undergoes a new design - a 2005 equinox looks different from a 2015 Equinox. Does that redesign create a new "model"? Thinking about when I bought my SUV, they sold an RX330, RX350 and RX400h, which had only minor differences and you basically couldn't tell them apart. Are those three different "models" because they have slightly different names?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #337
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I guess what I mean is that I don't actually know what qualifies as a "new model". Every few years a car undergoes a new design - a 2005 equinox looks different from a 2015 Equinox. Does that redesign create a new "model"? Thinking about when I bought my SUV, they sold an RX330, RX350 and RX400h, which had only minor differences and you basically couldn't tell them apart. Are those three different "models" because they have slightly different names?
Yeah that makes sense, the term new model and GM's statement is vague enough that they could twist to it mean almost anything. It could be (using the Lexus example) as introducing a gas powered RX350, then the hybrid RX400h then a plugin-hybrid version and that might count as two-thirds.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #338
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do you know their reasoning?
He's a big proponent of renewable energy and ev technology. His roof is covered in solar. He owns a Roadster and a Model X. He knows the powerwalls won't fully support his home, but if it can contribute a small percentage, he will support the technology. In his view, as people support the technology, it brings the costs down over time as well as keeps the development going. He has no problem being the first gen buyer. His Roadster was. His old Model S was. And he was able to buy a founders Model X because of his support.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #339
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
And how many 'thirds' of the 2014 GM model lineup in china were new energy? Probably zero. The point is not that the absolute number as much as it is the rate of change. And 2020 is only 3 years out.

I think within 5 years we will know whether EV's are more iPhone or more google glass.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:54 AM   #340
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 05-13-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote