Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:
Default League of Legends

The most popular online computer game right now with about 25 million people and it is free to play.

Is anyone playing? Haven't seen a thread at all on CP about it.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

I play, but I avoid playing on teams I don't already know everybody on.

Lots of whining and crying. Less that some other incarnations of these games, but playing with 14 year old gamers and griefers takes fun out of it if you have to listen to them for an hour.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

League of Ragers.

Fun game, but even playing with friends someone is gonna rage. May even be you, it just sneaks up on you.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
Mtt48
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Get a Dota 2 beta key. It's decent
Mtt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Meh, just got to take it in stride - there are times you feel like raging (I.E. Don't chase that low health champ in the early levels who is clearly baiting you at their turret).

Also I played an intermediate bit game last night, had a Sivar on our team go 0-16 lol and fed the bots. We came through and won at the end.

I'm still learning the game, but it has a shocking amount of depth IMHO.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
League of Ragers.

Fun game, but even playing with friends someone is gonna rage. May even be you, it just sneaks up on you.
Yeah, but most of the time it's "Dear god we suck" type of rage, followed by laughing or "Hey, we can still win" (in our typical Flames fan delusion ). We don't get someone messaging the other team saying "It's not my fault we suck. GG, a**holes" or asking a teammate "[player], do you even know how to play?". It's even worse when you play support type characters (my primary)...in my experience almost any time they get a kill (period), unless you were doing all the work, the other player will almost undoubtable cry that I stole his kill. Even in "vs bot" games, where you basically have to be comatose to lose after a while.

Quote:
Also I played an intermediate bit game last night, had a Sivar on our team go 0-16 lol and fed the bots. We came through and won at the end.

I'm still learning the game, but it has a shocking amount of depth IMHO.
A lot of it is a learning curve. There is a lot to. It's part of what makes it fun: It feels like such a simple game, but small things like getting the last hit on creeps, positioning, or just reading the minimap (or setting up wards) makes a world of difference.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I feel for your Kirant, playing support is pretty tough until near end game. You receive zero money whatsoever and pretty much have to rely on a Phil stone (I've played support Soraka a couple times now).

I'm not even good at last hitting creeps yet - depending on the characters (looking at your Ryze), some of them have really awkward hit times.

Which champs do you like playing? I'm enjoying Graves this week (since he is free) and had tons of fun on Gangplank. Usually playing them top lane (as I do not know how to jungle at all). You can make both of these characters pretty tanky end game and they both have pretty decent poke abilities.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I feel for your Kirant, playing support is pretty tough until near end game. You receive zero money whatsoever and pretty much have to rely on a Phil stone (I've played support Soraka a couple times now).
Depends how you play. Many of them aren't money intensive.

If you're a pure support, last hit a few enemies for basic boots and Philosopher's Stone (or Heart of Gold), and stay inside your lane for a while. If playing some hybrid (such as building AP on a support), you generally dominate until other players start buying more. Always good to buy a gold piling item though. It makes you very consistent (and offers an outlet for purchasing wards)

Quote:
Which champs do you like playing? I'm enjoying Graves this week (since he is free) and had tons of fun on Gangplank. Usually playing them top lane (as I do not know how to jungle at all). You can make both of these characters pretty tanky end game and they both have pretty decent poke abilities.
Anything that doesn't involve getting close...my decision making in close combat is pretty bad. Lux, Ziggs, Ahri, Sona, Lulu...almost anything that basically keeps out of fighting and more into sniping unless a routing ensues. I'm generally not bad with skillshots (I learned this type of game from playing the original Defense of the Ancients as Lina...who is basically 2 skillshots and a "Click and Die" attack), so that hasn't been much of an issue.

EDIT - My friend described me as the flippin' Jay Bouwmeester of our teams...I should feel insulted, but given the fact that I play squishy characters...I'm surprisingly not

Last edited by kirant; 04-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Hah, in the games I have played support there is no last hitting mobs - you get an earful if you're support.

If you're playing Sona Support - what is your typical build / set up? I haven't played Sona yet, but really like her skill layout.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I play Heroes of Newerth, which is the same game pretty much. I installed LoL when HoN was down but never did get around to playing it. I think the most obvious difference between the 2 is being able to deny your own creeps. Other then that, not having played LoL I have no idea of the difference.

It's definitely got a really steep learning curves, such that a good chunk of my gaming buddies never bothered to learn it. I don't know what it is about this style of game, but it really really brings out the worst in people. The HoN community has to be one of the worst out there. Yet, I can't pull away from the game, very addictive. Ok, you're talkign about LoL, so i'll leave now sorry haha.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hah, in the games I have played support there is no last hitting mobs - you get an earful if you're support.

If you're playing Sona Support - what is your typical build / set up? I haven't played Sona yet, but really like her skill layout.
Depends.

Pure support: I think it's basically rush Philosopher's Stone, and Heart of Gold, get Boots and Aegis of the Legion. Much more, and you're not warding the map enough in a 45-60 minute game.

Then again, playing pure support sucks unless you're playing on a pre-built team, as basically a team of 5 tanky AD characters and mages can win most random agmes. I've generally been of the mind to go with a hybrid AP/support model. Early game, you can use a Q->Power Chord attack to do surprising damage (generally 25-33%) in one swing if you build a little of both (Also doesn't hurt when you can spread minor slow with Q later on if you build a Crystal Scepter). Then stick on some cooldown reduction and vary up your aura as needed.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

My friends roped me into this game a while ago and it's pretty much become a nightly affair. I now have around 15 or so champions unlocked so I usually have enough variety to keep it fresh. A few things I usually notice from new players is a lack of awareness and poor decision making. That tends to get corrected over time but the only thing I usually suggest is always err on the side of caution. It's better to let a guy escape with 5hp than it is for you to go for the tower dive and die from the turret.

Last hitting is pretty easy once you understand how quickly your champ's attack animation/damage is. But yes, as a support you should be getting very few minion kills. If you want to have some fun in a game, build a pure AD Sona. She deals out so much damage its absolutely insane.

Also if you need some help with build suggestions, check out http://www.mobafire.com/. It's a pretty good start and some of the user guides have an excellent breakdown of the champions and their abilities.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
My friends roped me into this game a while ago and it's pretty much become a nightly affair. I now have around 15 or so champions unlocked so I usually have enough variety to keep it fresh. A few things I usually notice from new players is a lack of awareness and poor decision making. That tends to get corrected over time but the only thing I usually suggest is always err on the side of caution. It's better to let a guy escape with 5hp than it is for you to go for the tower dive and die from the turret.

Last hitting is pretty easy once you understand how quickly your champ's attack animation/damage is. But yes, as a support you should be getting very few minion kills. If you want to have some fun in a game, build a pure AD Sona. She deals out so much damage its absolutely insane.

Also if you need some help with build suggestions, check out http://www.mobafire.com/. It's a pretty good start and some of the user guides have an excellent breakdown of the champions and their abilities.
This!

But for Sona do you mean AD or AP?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This!

But for Sona do you mean AD or AP?
He means AD. AD Sona is a semi-griefer, semi-legitimate build which is a lot of fun to use (well, it started as a griefer build...then people realized it's kind of usable, so it's deployed for fun and shock factor)...kind of like how AD Annie was viable at one point.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
He means AD. AD Sona is a semi-griefer, semi-legitimate build which is a lot of fun to use (well, it started as a griefer build...then people realized it's kind of usable, so it's deployed for fun and shock factor)...kind of like how AD Annie was viable at one point.
Yes as kirant pointed out, AD Sona can absolutely throw some players off balance as it does have that shock factor. I've run into a handfull of AD Sona's that have absolutely torn me apart because I wasn't expecting her damage output to be so high.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I was looking online and was only seeing AP builds - Blasting wand, archangels, rod of ages, etc.

What are you stacking do AD?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was looking online and was only seeing AP builds - Blasting wand, archangels, rod of ages, etc.

What are you stacking do AD?
Sona is not a character I play however, going with AD staples would include things like an Infinity Edge, Blood Thirster and Trinity Force. You can also add a Phantom Dancer and a Black Cleaver/Madred's Bloodrazer depending on the enemy team. I tend to build glass cannons most of the time so you'd probably want to get a Guardian Angel or something.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i've always liked using hybrid cho....nomnomnomnom
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #19
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Got a few new champs today - LeBlanc (LeBurst) - is absolutely silly. I'm surprised I haven't seen more people cheese with her. Doesn't have a ton of HP, but when you hit level 6, it doesn't really matter as you can kill almost any champ in the open. Not sure how well she does late game.

Anivia is pretty cool as well - just not a late game champ aside from the CC abilities. Her burst abilities just don't scale that well for damage, so you have to build her kind of tanky. Haven't tried AD yet though (troll build).

I tried Lee Sin once and realized I have no idea how to play him. I guess he is a Jungler / ganker, otherwise I just die with him. Apparently he is pretty good in the lanes, but I guess I need a lot more practise.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

this feels like it all originated from warcraft 3 and DOTA which started as a custom map. Is that correct?
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote