Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #61
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

So all of our stuff is packed, picking up the truck tomorrow, and then, we commence the great move. Ended up getting some good hotel deals along the way, so kind of making what has been mostly an exhausting process into a bit of a vacation.

The big thing for us in the way of expense was a reduced rent, transportation costs (don't need a car), and a large discount my wife gets off her tuition due to my spousal benefits. Income tax, and everything else will be pretty irritating, yes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #62
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
So all of our stuff is packed, picking up the truck tomorrow, and then, we commence the great move. Ended up getting some good hotel deals along the way, so kind of making what has been mostly an exhausting process into a bit of a vacation.

The big thing for us in the way of expense was a reduced rent, transportation costs (don't need a car), and a large discount my wife gets off her tuition due to my spousal benefits. Income tax, and everything else will be pretty irritating, yes.
Goodluck!
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #63
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any thoughts living in Kelowna or Penticton?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #64
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanScores View Post
Any thoughts living in Kelowna or Penticton?
I lived in Osoyoos for 2 and half years. Great weather for sure. If you can find a decent job it's certainly worth a look. Decent jobs can be tough to come by though. Penticton might feel a bit small come the winter months whereas Kelowna has lots to do for the days that you don't want to be outside. The traffic in Kelowna is awful though.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #65
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post

Possibly the most successful thread hijack in CP history. A thread about a genuine guy wondering about moving to Cranbrook gives way to some fellow with nice shoes riding tax breaks on his wife's coat tails to Vancouver. And the guy going to Cranbrook even thanks his posts. He's a good guy.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #66
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heyyoooo
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 PM   #67
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I noticed this in the mall today. Coincidence?

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:46 PM   #68
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Either way, BC has a lot of ways to tax you. Car insurance will be about double. It's a state run insurance that the government takes funds out of.
So, regardless of your incorrect assertion that BC income taxes are higher non-dependant of income, and others showing that insurance is cheaper in BC, you are definitely right that BC has a PST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #69
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I noticed this in the mall today. Coincidence?

What location is this?
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:03 AM   #70
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
What location is this?

'the mall' location
Old 05-31-2016, 11:03 AM   #71
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
So, regardless of your incorrect assertion that BC income taxes are higher non-dependant of income, and others showing that insurance is cheaper in BC, you are definitely right that BC has a PST.
Car insurance is not cheaper in Alberta, unless you are a male under 25. BC has a flat insurance, which means everyone absorbs the cost of the 25 and under guys who are constantly getting in crashes.

The one example of insurance being cheaper involved someone being able to wipe their record clean upon moving out of Alberta.

Income taxes are marginally cheaper, but only if you're below a certain income level. You'll find that just about everything else is more expensive. There's also extra taxes on gas, alcohol, etc..

Anyone moving from Calgary to Vancouver for economic reasons is in for a rude awakening.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #72
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Anyone moving from Calgary to Vancouver for economic reasons is in for a rude awakening.
Not if they are giving up their car. That's worth a huge amount of money saving in Vancouver.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #73
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Car insurance is not cheaper in Alberta, unless you are a male under 25. BC has a flat insurance, which means everyone absorbs the cost of the 25 and under guys who are constantly getting in crashes.
It's not flat. You get a 5% discount off the base rate for each of your first 8 years of claim free driving. So a 20 year old is likely paying about 40% more than someone over 25 without any claims. A brand new driver would pay nearly twice what an experienced driver would.

It might be more expensive than Alberta, I'm not really sure, but it certainly isn't twice as expensive which is what you claimed. Unless you're saying I'd be able to get $2M liability, and full collision and comprehensive coverage with $300 deductibles for $550 a year?
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #74
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I find that in Alberta I can insure all three vehicles that I had for the same cost as two of them in BC. When I last lived in the South Okanagan, my 2006 Rav 4 was about 1800 a year, when we tucked in our tails and came across the mountains, it cost about $1200. At the time I was a mid 30's driver with 15 years of clean driving and my wife had an unblemished record. So I think we rated near the top of the grid for discounts.

But when I first moved from BC to Alberta as a 24 year old male, I had a 40% discount on my ICBC insurance..and was paying about $150 a month to insure a brand new X-Terra. When I looked into Alberta insurance it was going to be well over $300 a month. But the day I turned 25, that dropped to about $175 and eventually did get cheaper.

The rates in BC do vary a bit by region IIRC. The cost of insuring a car in the Okanagan differs from the lower mainland which differs from the Kootenays, or the Island.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #75
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The rates in BC do vary a bit by region IIRC. The cost of insuring a car in the Okanagan differs from the lower mainland which differs from the Kootenays, or the Island.
They differ in AB, as well, depending where you live.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 AM   #76
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My car and motorcycle insurance went way up when I moved back to BC. IIRC they require a record from your insurance company(s) for the previous years to qualify for any discounts and to jump through various hoops. It's since gone down except for my motorbike but to begin with I think I paid about double compared to Alberta.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #77
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am wondering what is it like to live year round living in the kootenays (Trail area) vs visiting? Any thoughts? We passed up on Cranbrook last year but the same opportunity is available in Trail that I am being considered for.
I've never lived in a small town ever, explains why I have so much apprehension on my part. Wife is from the area and she would like to go back around the area, be close to her folks and raise our kids in a smaller town. I've always enjoy it there when visiting but I haven't stayed there more than 1 week.

Can you also "suspend" an existing mortgage while looking for a house in another province once a house is sold in Alberta? We want to take our time finding the right house in the area instead of buying one right away.

Also an advise regarding hiring moving companies vs doing it ourselves ,renting a uhaul?

Last edited by DylanScores; 05-14-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added
Old 05-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #78
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am wondering what is it like to live year round living in the kootenays (Trail area) vs visiting? Any thoughts?
Can you also "suspend" an existing mortgage while looking for a house in another province once a house is sold in Alberta? We want to take our time finding the right house in the area instead of buying one right away. Thank you.
Not sure about life in Trail. But if you're wondering about keeping your mortgage loan while looking for another house, I'm sure you can't. There needs to be security in order for the loan to be in effect. No house, no security. You would likely have to requalify anyway even if you went from one house right into a new house. The new house has to qualify and the bank will likely want to requalify you as well. You'll probably just want to get prequalified for a loan so you know what you can afford.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #79
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am wondering what is it like to live year round living in the kootenays (Trail area) vs visiting? Any thoughts? We passed up on Cranbrook last year but the same opportunity is available in Trail that I am being considered for.
I've never lived in a small town ever, explains why I have so much apprehension on my part. Wife is from the area and she would like to go back around the area, be close to her folks and raise our kids in a smaller town. I've always enjoy it there when visiting but I haven't stayed there more than 1 week.

Can you also "suspend" an existing mortgage while looking for a house in another province once a house is sold in Alberta? We want to take our time finding the right house in the area instead of buying one right away.

Also an advise regarding hiring moving companies vs doing it ourselves ,renting a uhaul?
As someone who grew up in Calgary (18years) and moved in between Castlegar and Nelson I can tell you, you won't look back. As much as I love Calgary there is no comparison in quality of life.

Getting out of the hustle and bustle of a big city is extremely satisfying, no one around here is too worried about 'keeping up with the Jones' or getting indebted to the hilt to have the newest and greatest stuff.

Outdoor recreation is within 10 minutes in every direction. No need to book anything or make plans to go hiking, camping, atving, snowmobiling, swimming, tubing down the river. Just go. You'll start laughing when people brag about Calgary being only hours from the mountains. No more traffic jams, leisure activities are affordable.

Honestly the way of life is a lot more down to earth and I can't imagine living anywhere else. The problem with 'world class' cities, is that they're cities. Sharing world class man made buildings and costly entertainment venues with a million other people seems crazy to me after my new perspective. Give me a side by side, 100s of kms of mountain trails, some good friends and a cooler of beer any day.

Trail isn't too bad but I would recommend living outside the city itself.

If there's anything else you want to know about the area, fire away.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #80
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pmd you indes. Thank you.