Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #521
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

My friend used to work with transit drivers who had hit people. Some of them can't return to work for a very long time afterwards. I can't imagine being in a position where you see what's about to happen and not be able to do anything to prevent it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #522
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Took a good 45 minutes to go up 44th to 52nd, which was the detour.
Yup. I was out for a walk, when I saw traffic backing up along 44th like crazy. Snarled up traffic in the neighborhood/along 44th for a pretty decent chunk of the day. I'd heard about the ctrain incident, but not the traffic accident. What a mess.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #523
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
75 deaths since the LRT was built in 1981
I wonder how if majority happened in the past 10-15 years since technology was more prominent.

It amazes me how many people just assume its safe to cross with their heads buried into their cellphones, even with the bells ringing they'll still saunter across like its going to stop for them.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #524
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
THere has been several pedestrian vs train collisions over the years at this exact location. The only reasonable cause of these is pedestrian inattention. The two directions of track are separated there, with the station area in between. You Physically have to walk towards an incoming train before you can cross a track in any direction, so unless the pedestrian isn't ever looking up (to see the lights or the train itself) AND can't hear the bells, there shouldn't be a problem. However, pedestrians appear to not pay attention, apparently. I've said it before, place some flashing lights in the ground right beside the tracks, so that the pedestrians with their heads down at least see something.
you can't legislate stupid. you could put in lights and make the sidewalks vibrate and people would still ignore it and get hit by trains.

at a certain point if people want to earn a Darwin award, you have to let them.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #525
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
at approximately 2 deaths per year of service those trains are not people movers, they are killing machines......shut them down
Old 05-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #526
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
It amazes me how many people just assume its safe to cross with their heads buried into their cellphones, even with the bells ringing they'll still saunter across like its going to stop for them.
It's also the mentality of entitlement nowadays, that I and my instagram account are more important than your train which will stop for me.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #527
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder how that compares to other LRT and subway systems across North America and around the world?

It's lower than I would have expected.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #528
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think if your caught jaywalking while distracted the officer should be able to give you a choice. a $1000.00 fine or a swift kick to the gender box.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #529
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I wonder how that compares to other LRT and subway systems across North America and around the world?

Comparison to Vancouver

Quote:
TransLink estimated that 117.7 million passengers boarded SkyTrain’s three lines in 2014, and it claimed that trains were on time, within two minutes, 93.4 percent of the time. The Scott Road fatality was the second of 2015 at a Surrey station and the 75th since the driverless trains went into service in 1985.

Most of the deaths have been ruled suicide, but could some, or all, have been prevented?

The October 2014 independent review by former Toronto-area GO Transit head Gary McNeil, which was ordered after the two major July 2014 SkyTrain service outages, recommended more eyes and ears on cars and platforms. So did the 1993 passenger-safety review by Toronto Transit Consultants. The latter report recommended attendants be deployed on all trains during morning and evening peak periods to respond more quickly to passenger-assistance and guideway-intrusion alarms.

Toronto Transit Consultants found surveillance cameras did a good job of monitoring fare machines, escalators, and elevators at SkyTrain stations but little else. It recommended “pan-tilt-zoom” cameras in downtown’s four tunnel stations. “With respect to platform coverage, it is understood that additional cameras are planned in order to improve coverage.”

Little had changed in platform monitoring by 2014, when McNeil’s report said staffing and surveillance were still inadequate.

“When a major service delay occurs today, there is not enough STA [SkyTrain attendant] staff available to effectively deal with evacuation,” McNeil wrote. He noted that there were only 40 to 45 attendants and supervisors stretched across the system last July 17 and 21. McNeil recommended greater visibility for frontline staff, but he didn’t say how many should be deployed at any one time. He did recommend spending $5 million over two years on better surveillance cameras for the Expo and Millennium lines, including closed-circuit cameras focused on the edge of platforms. However, “this could be deferred if improved response times to delays occur.”

Platform-edge cameras might have helped save a life on March 21 at Scott Road Station.

Statistics from the B.C. Coroners Service spanning 1985 to May 2015 show 75 deaths on SkyTrain tracks, of which at least 10 were accidental. The Commercial-Broadway (11) and Main Street (10) stations had the most deaths. (None have been recorded on the Canada Line.) Through mid-February 2008, 32 victims were male; 25 of the dead were between 19 and 39 years of age. Nine perished in 1994, the deadliest year on record; in 2014, four died.
http://www.straight.com/life/458271/...eaths-examined

Considering Calgary's LRT is at grade, it's less that I would've thought as well.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #530
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
THere has been several pedestrian vs train collisions over the years at this exact location. The only reasonable cause of these is pedestrian inattention. The two directions of track are separated there, with the station area in between. You Physically have to walk towards an incoming train before you can cross a track in any direction, so unless the pedestrian isn't ever looking up (to see the lights or the train itself) AND can't hear the bells, there shouldn't be a problem. However, pedestrians appear to not pay attention, apparently. I've said it before, place some flashing lights in the ground right beside the tracks, so that the pedestrians with their heads down at least see something.
When they expanded the platform to 4 cars I wish they hadn't added the level crossing. I've seen pedestrians running across 36th against the light there to catch the train. It just never seemed like a good idea.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #531
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The news said a third of them were suicides. So about 50 accidental deaths in 36 years of service.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #532
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One of those was a friend of mine that stood in front of it on purpose.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #533
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The news said a third of them were suicides. So about 50 accidental deaths in 36 years of service.
Yeah, there is that aspect as well.

That stat totally floors me though. That is an actual and genuine Occupational Hazard for transit workers. Thats wild.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #534
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you can't legislate stupid.
As a society we do it all the time with varying success in just about every aspect of life.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #535
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
It's also the mentality of entitlement nowadays, that I and my instagram account are more important than your train which will stop for me.
Okay now you guys are just making #### up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #536
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
When they expanded the platform to 4 cars I wish they hadn't added the level crossing. I've seen pedestrians running across 36th against the light there to catch the train. It just never seemed like a good idea.
The level crossing makes a lot of sense to me, until you consider the stupidness of distracted people. The level crossing shortens many people's walks to the platform by 200 metres and removes the need to go up and down 3 flights of stairs. The cost to install it was minimal. The crosswalk to cross 36th Street needed to be moved to the North side of Whitehorn Drive anyway.

It would be a shame if it was removed. In its design, it should be significantly safer than almost every other crossing of 36th Street.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #537
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if it has been discussed before

Doubtful there will be a change in process in the Green Line... but when we took our son to Disney Land we took an extra train ride to San Diego for Sea World several years ago... we were pleasantly surprised to see the pedestrian underpass so folks do not cross train tracks.

In Calgary, as the Province / City can create pedestrian underpasses throughout the city by NoseHill park & 14th Street, Tuscany to cross under Nose Hill Drive by Stoney Trail...
I'm not sure why planning for ped underpasses is not considered for any LRT crossings where pedestrians are in all new construction...

That being said I know we all need to be aware of our surroundings & be vigilant to not get distracted by phones, etc.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #538
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

New York sees about 50 deaths a year from the Subways. 2 is far less than I would have expected as well.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #539
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Mumbai has around 10 deaths per day from rail transit.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #540
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mumbai has around 10 deaths per day from rail transit.
That's it? Having been to India, that sounds shockingly low. I guess that's just one city.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote