Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #301
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a dumbass. I am all for equality, 100% and unequivocally. But I truly believe there are Femin-nazis out there that are completely out to lunch.

The A/C is sexist? Where will it end I ask.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #302
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I don't know why I venture into threads like the Patrick Kane one in the FOI forum. Multiple people in there posting things that make me:

- shake my head
- vomit in my mouth a little
- lose faith in humanity
- all of the above
It's just another example of people who haven't actually done any research on the topic, just completely talking out of their asses and believing that their opinions are somehow authoritative on the subject, except on something way more heinous.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #303
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's just another example of people who haven't actually done any research on the topic, just completely talking out of their asses and believing that their opinions are somehow authoritative on the subject, except on something way more heinous.
So... that's pretty much most people in most threads.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #304
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The "I Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore" thread

People are more willing to give people they like the benefit of the doubt or come up with justifications. Compare Jared Fogle thread and the one about Patrick Kane or Jeremy Clarkson. Yes, some differences in the alleged indiscretions that took place, but you can tell people love Patrick Kane and Jeremy Clarkson and they are more worthy of getting a fair shake compared to other people who are not as beloved.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #305
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy should be charged with 2nd degree murder.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2.../22539224.html
Quote:
A 20-year-old woman is dead after her father refused to allow male lifeguards to save her to maintain her honour, officials in Dubai say. Police told Dubai's 24-hour news channel Emirates24/7 that the "Asian man" took his family to the beach for a picnic and a day of swimming when his daughter started struggling in the water.
"Two rescue men were at the beach, and they rushed to help the girl. However, there was one obstacle ... this Asian man who considered that if these men touched his daughter, then this would dishonour her. It cost him the life of his daughter," Lt. Col Ahmed Burqibah, of Dubai Police's search and rescue department, told the station.
Against the man's wishes, the lifeguards apparently tried to save the woman anyway.
But Burqibah said the father — a large man — physically prevented them from reaching her in time.
"He started pulling and preventing the rescue men and got violent with them. He told them that he prefers his daughter being dead than being touched by a strange man."
The man has since reportedly been arrested and faces charges.
Waseem Ahmed, the director of risk at Dubai Festival City, told Hotelier Middle East the tragedy highlights the need for more female lifeguards on Dubai's beaches.
Seriously?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #306
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Disgusting.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #307
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even know what there is to say. Absolutely horrible.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 PM   #308
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Relevant!

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #309
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much wrong in that country. I wonder how the society would turn out if every adult male in the country was banished until the children had grown and developed in the absence of the misogynostic influences.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM   #310
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two Indian sisters who were ordered to be raped by a local council as "punishment" for their brother's actions are appealing to the country's Supreme Court for protection.

Meenakshi Kumari, 23, her 15-year-old sister and the rest of the family have fled their village after the order was issued by an unelected, all-male village council. They ruled that the sisters be raped and paraded naked in public with their faces blackened because their brother Ravi eloped with a woman from a dominant caste.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/64984/india...brothers-crime
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #311
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see this ending any way other than poorly.

Quote:
We turn to websites and apps to determine what movie we should see, which restaurant to visit and even which doctor might provide the best care — but should we rely on ratings for people?

An app being developed in Calgary called Peeple aims to do just that.

"You're going to rate people in the three categories that you can possibly know somebody — professionally, personally or romantically," said peeple CEO and co-founder Julia Cordray. "So you'd be able to go on and choose your five-star rating, write a comment and you will not be anonymous."

The app requires you to log in through Facebook and to provide your phone number in order to ensure you're a real person and to make it more difficult to submit malicious ratings.

But why should we rate people the same way we rate restaurants?

"You should have the right to know who somebody is before you invite them in to your home, around your children. They become your neighbours, they teach your kids, you go on dates with them," said Corday.
Quote:
Negative comments do not automatically show up on the app, but are first sent to the inbox of the person being rated. The two people have 48 hours to work it out between them or the person being rated can defend themselves by commenting on the rating once it's posted.

"There seems to be some fear and I have a lot of empathy for that. With any new idea or concept, there's naturally misunderstandings, there's naturally fear, there's naturally a bit of resistance. But I'm going to lead by example and show that this app is actually more positive than it ever could be negative," said Corday.

Rather than seeing this as a means to attack people online, Corday thinks even bad reviews can be positive.

"So, you can't please everybody, but if you're a business owner, or you're a professional, or you're that young urbanite or you're that parent looking to make better decisions, you also deserve to see where you could improve," she said.

"Think of this as an ability to grow and get some honest feedback."
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/rating-peo...215603523.html
Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #312
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Peeple probably deserves its own thread. Should get a mod to split it out, perhaps.

But, in a case of true irony, the women behind Peeple are upset that people are posting negative comments about them, against their will, to social media:

https://twitter.com/swearyanthony/st...57150889410560

The irony actually burns!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #313
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this app is like a highway straight through to the heart of darkness. What a terrible idea.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #314
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I believe if this app makes it to release, it won't operate the way they intend it. They have a youtube channel documenting their design process. In one video, the app designer notifies them that due to facebook restrictions, they can't link other people in someones friends list to their app automatically, without the express consent of that person. Which makes sense, you would want to know if your data has been taken and used to create a profile in another app. Without that ability to "steal" customers, their user base will be strictly limited to people who download the app and connect their profile to facebook.

Essentially, out of most peoples facebook friends list, I'm guessing only a few will go through with signing up. Don't sign up and then you can't get rated. People will stop using the app pretty quick when they are unable to rate the person they want to because they aren't on it.

I sort of feel sorry for some of the investors http://www.forthepeeple.com/ (scroll down)

They also received $50k grant from some type of government program. When asked about it, they get defensive. https://archive.is/sOhA3 How they handle themselves is embarrassing.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 10-01-2015 at 01:48 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #315
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a joke or an Onion article? Seriously, what the hell is going on?
I hope the nephew counter sues and wins $127,000 plus court costs.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/WeirdNe.../22561998.html
Quote:
A New York City woman is suing her young nephew for "negligence and carelessness" after he jumped up and hugged her at his eighth birthday party, leaving her with a broken wrist.

Jennifer Connell, 54, wants US$127,000 in damages from Sean Tarala, now 12.

Edit: Hmm, appears this is old news (fail by Canoe.ca), a jury awarded her nothing, nada, squat.

She says the injury has damaged her social life.

"I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d'oeuvre plate," she told the Connecticut Post.
I'm guessing she isn't going to see her social life improve when the internet is done with her.

Oops, looks like this is old news (reported again today?). Seems she was awarded $0, nothing, nada, squat.

Last edited by Jacks; 10-13-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #316
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Is this a joke or an Onion article? Seriously, what the hell is going on?
I hope the nephew counter sues and wins $127,000 plus court costs.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/WeirdNe.../22561998.html
I'm guessing she isn't going to see her social life improve when the internet is done with her.
Not a family person is she?
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 04:58 AM   #317
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

A young cat, maybe six months old, was rescued by my wife and a friend in the street when it was injured. They took it to the vet and paid for surgery to save it from damage to its bladder. The vets were pretty convinced that the injuries weren't from a car but had been inflicted by a person.

Cat had to undergo a second surgery as they found its kidney was also ruptured, and he died during the surgery.

That some people choose to inflict needless pain and injury on other living, feeling beings makes me not want to live on this planet anymore.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #318
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
A young cat, maybe six months old, was rescued by my wife and a friend in the street when it was injured. They took it to the vet and paid for surgery to save it from damage to its bladder. The vets were pretty convinced that the injuries weren't from a car but had been inflicted by a person.

Cat had to undergo a second surgery as they found its kidney was also ruptured, and he died during the surgery.

That some people choose to inflict needless pain and injury on other living, feeling beings makes me not want to live on this planet anymore.
You are right, that is disgusting.

At the same time, it gives me hope that your wife and her friend did that for the cat. Not a lot of people would, so thank them for me.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #319
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can someone be so desensitized that putting multiple bullets into a curious dog is not only an automatic reaction, but defendable and not seen as a big deal by the person doing the killing? "Oh sorry kid, I just shot your best friend for no reason. But I'm the good guy! Remember that." What a dickbag.

There's a vid, I couldn't watch it because I'm at work, but I'm glad it's being blocked. I don't want to see it.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cow...atches-horror/

Survey says.... FLORIDA!
Old 10-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #320
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
How can someone be so desensitized that putting multiple bullets into a curious dog is not only an automatic reaction, but defendable and not seen as a big deal by the person doing the killing? "Oh sorry kid, I just shot your best friend for no reason. But I'm the good guy! Remember that." What a dickbag.

There's a vid, I couldn't watch it because I'm at work, but I'm glad it's being blocked. I don't want to see it.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cow...atches-horror/

Survey says.... FLORIDA!
I couldn't watch the video. I couldn't bring myself to click on it because the situation was so sad and rageworthy at the same time.