Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #341
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been a Virgin for years now. Excellent customer services, great prices, great coverage. They use Bell's towers (I think). No bull##### fees.

Right now I pay $55 for 5 GB, unlimited Canada wide mins, unlimited national and international texts.

Highly recommend. Also you don't have to deal with any of the Wind nonsense with roaming, I've had good service all across AB, SK, and BC.
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #342
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
I've been a Virgin for years now. Excellent customer services, great prices, great coverage. They use Bell's towers (I think). No bull##### fees.

Right now I pay $55 for 5 GB, unlimited Canada wide mins, unlimited national and international texts.

Highly recommend. Also you don't have to deal with any of the Wind nonsense with roaming, I've had good service all across AB, SK, and BC.
Yea good luck getting that now. You have some legacy plan that no longer exists because the big 3 have been allowed to run rampant. Koodo is doing $94/mo now for your plan and Virgin is now at a whopping $105/mo and they've cut the maximum data to 3GB... This is why people are heading to lower cost alternatives like Wind, tired of getting bent over by crappy pricing and plans. I complained to retentions at bell before quiting and they wouldn't give me anywhere close to what you are getting
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #343
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

So I'm with Rogers for 15+ years and I have the $30/6GB plan that came out when the iPhone did. If a fast connection with good coverage is important, stick it out with a big three and pay about $30 more? There seems like less phones you can get as only T-Mobile is on the same frequency.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #344
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Yea good luck getting that now. You have some legacy plan that no longer exists because the big 3 have been allowed to run rampant. Koodo is doing $94/mo now for your plan and Virgin is now at a whopping $105/mo and they've cut the maximum data to 3GB... This is why people are heading to lower cost alternatives like Wind, tired of getting bent over by crappy pricing and plans. I complained to retentions at bell before quiting and they wouldn't give me anywhere close to what you are getting
No I don't. I just switched over to this plan a month ago. It's not advertised on the general site but it's still up under the members area. It's also free to switch plans under the same level with Virgin. So sign up with a silver plan and just switch to this one. It's still very available to members:

I took a screenshot of it but I don't know how to upload a photo on here so you'll have to take my word for it.

Virgin has always been significantly cheaper than Bell/Telus/Rogers and has had better customer service and no fees.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #345
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
So I'm with Rogers for 15+ years and I have the $30/6GB plan that came out when the iPhone did. If a fast connection with good coverage is important, stick it out with a big three and pay about $30 more? There seems like less phones you can get as only T-Mobile is on the same frequency.
Problem with even some of the better plans is that with the new 2 year plans+changes, grandfathering those deals is getting to be short-lived/non-existent. For example, Bell has a no blanket policy for grandfathering, Telus is $70+ after plan/add-ons for certain plans (hard to determine which ones) and Rogers is giving one last grandfathered upgrade to any eligible customers with $60+ after voice/data.

Dollarwise, we're barely better now than we were before after the changes.
Nexus devices and the like are great, but not necessarily an option for everybody.

Quote:
No I don't. I just switched over to this plan a month ago. It's not advertised on the general site but it's still up under the members area. It's also free to switch plans under the same level with Virgin. So sign up with a silver plan and just switch to this one. It's still very available to members:

I took a screenshot of it but I don't know how to upload a photo on here so you'll have to take my word for it.

Virgin has always been significantly cheaper than Bell/Telus/Rogers and has had better customer service and no fees.
I want to say that this plan is only being offered in Ontario/Thunder Bay as there's definitely no plan like this available to the public in Alberta.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #346
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I want to say that this plan is only being offered in Ontario/Thunder Bay as there's definitely no plan like this available to the public in Alberta.
As I mentioned I just switched over to this plan last month and I'm certainly not in Ontario. I must be a magician
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #347
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Or your sales rep had to meet his quota and you got lucky.

But for the most part people aren't going to get that plan with the big 3.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #348
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Or your sales rep had to meet his quota and you got lucky.

But for the most part people aren't going to get that plan with the big 3.
Lol. Again, I didn't switch plans through any sales rep. I signed onto my account online and simply switched to this plan. And it's still available online for you other virgin members out there.

When I said take my word for it I was really asking a lot apparently.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #349
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So you've been with Virgin for years now. Perhaps they offered that plan to you based on that. New signups certainly don't get anywhere close to a plan like that.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #350
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Host it to imgur and link to it here using the IMG markup.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #351
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You must have the wrong numbers. I can't imagine paying $105/month for a phone. What exactly am I getting for that? I'm paying $40 with wind for unlimited everything. Who cares about roaming. I'll gladly pay the few extra bucs for roaming with wind to not have to pay $105/month.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #352
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
You must have the wrong numbers. I can't imagine paying $105/month for a phone. What exactly am I getting for that? I'm paying $40 with wind for unlimited everything. Who cares about roaming. I'll gladly pay the few extra bucs for roaming with wind to not have to pay $105/month.
Nope... numbers aren't wrong... Look at these craptastic plans. Screencap of virgin's website.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #353
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yup...once our plans are done, the wife and I are going from Rogers to Wind. I'm sick of paying $160+ a month for our phones. We have unlimited everything except for data (we share 2GB). This is nuts.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #354
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nope... numbers aren't wrong... Look at these craptastic plans. Screencap of virgin's website.
$105 for unlimitted everything? I'm guessing admin fee's and taxes on top of that? Really wish verizon would come back.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 AM   #355
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
If you're looking at Virgin's platinum plans, that's where you're going wrong. The Gold plans is the sweet spot of relatively reasonable upfront cost for the device with a flexible choice in the plans.
Are the data offerings reasonable? No they're terrible. Yet you don't look at Virgin for their Platinum plans when you might as well go with Robelus with their better selection of handsets.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #356
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I'm almost certainly switching now... This is great news!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/08/13/wi...sa-and-canada/

Spoiler!
Old 08-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #357
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I'm almost certainly switching now... This is great news!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/08/13/wi...sa-and-canada/

Spoiler!
Sweet... if you are worried about coverage outside the city now this is excellent. But even without the new changes the unlimited US roaming add on for $15/mo was excellent and I had used like 300MB of data while I was there for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #358
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Real winner would be if they would be able to offer the $15/mo unlimited Canada roaming add on.

I guess they have a deal signed with Bell that gives them cheaper roaming rates. If the Canadian government did their job properly and forced the big 3 to reduce the roaming rates they offer to smaller providers, Wind could do very well. Hilarious how are 'pro-business' government likes to stifle competition. I guess all that lobbying money the big 3 pay is worth it.

Also interesting to note that the ARPU(average revenue per user) for Wind always keeps going up. Not near as high as what the big 3 get, but encouraging that they actually keep making a bit more money while offering great plans.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #359
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had data roaming disabled from day one on my phone and always viewed it as the one service hit I take for the price I pay.

95% cost savings on that'll do nicely.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #360
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I am looking at buying a Nexus 5 and bringing it onto a network, does Wind support the Nexus? If I am in Calgary area most of the time, occasionally in the surrounding area, rarely beyond that, does Wind work for that well?
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote