First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll just leave this here...

Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

If you have a few hours to kill, here's a full concert last year from the bands of SM Entertainment from Madison Square Garden.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #25
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ Sounds like someone is on an extended leave right now.... hehe
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I watched it already
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #27
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as Korean shows go, my g/f and her family love watching "Running Man" - the episodes I have watched have been pretty entertaining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Man_(TV_series)
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I can't keep up with those variety shows.

Another one is 2 Days, 1 Night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Days_%26_1_Night
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

This song's been #1 in Korea 4 weeks in a row.

Also the drama I'm currently watching King of Dramas (mentioned in Post #1) has a really nice theme song

Old 12-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #30
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
This song's been #1 in Korea 4 weeks in a row
I found the switching between Korean and English seamless. How prevalent is English in Korea? Is it taught in school? I can't tell the difference between this song and American pop songs so do K-Pop artists release full-English versions of their songs? I'm surprised there aren't more breakthrough artists beyond Psy.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #31
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn View Post
I found the switching between Korean and English seamless. How prevalent is English in Korea? Is it taught in school? I can't tell the difference between this song and American pop songs so do K-Pop artists release full-English versions of their songs? I'm surprised there aren't more breakthrough artists beyond Psy.
Psy blew up because his video was funny and he doesn't take himself very seriously (and probably most importantly he made a ridiculous dance for it). the pop song that GirlySports linked is a dime a dozen in North America, there's nothing that sets it apart besides being foreign. i think Psy is pretty much going to be a one-off for Asian popstars making it big over here, there will be plenty who try to copy his success but no one will come close
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you're stuck on a bus for 24 hours and all they show is K-pop, Chinese love ballads and SE Asia karaoke you'll learn to hate all of it.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #33
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Psy blew up because his video was funny and he doesn't take himself very seriously (and probably most importantly he made a ridiculous dance for it). the pop song that GirlySports linked is a dime a dozen in North America, there's nothing that sets it apart besides being foreign. i think Psy is pretty much going to be a one-off for Asian popstars making it big over here, there will be plenty who try to copy his success but no one will come close
If all the songs sound the same then the reason it's not popular here is because it's foreign. It's not just Korean, non-English artists from Europe can't break in either. North America just goes with local acts and local distributing companies, which makes sense.

If you find away to make K-Pop popular, you'd be a bazillionaire cause it hasn't been cracked yet.

Here one example. Hit play and close your eyes.... how's it sound?

"Can't nobody" isn't even correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
If you're stuck on a bus for 24 hours and all they show is K-pop, Chinese love ballads and SE Asia karaoke you'll learn to hate all of it.
A) I love that stuff

B) What were you doing on a bus for 24 hours?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

A) I love that stuff

B) What were you doing on a bus for 24 hours?
Overland travel in SE Asia - which is painfully slow sometimes (actually, after that bus ride I made a rule where I never travel more than 5-6 hours on any given day if possible). The first couple of hours I thought it was kind of funny/cute, but the Chinese love ballads especially wore on me. The K-pop songs were definitely the most palatable however. I don't mind some of the K-pop songs I've heard, but that bus trip really soured me. I'll also fully admit that the bus ride itself was waaaaay worse than any of the songs played .

Last edited by Kybosh; 12-02-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If all the songs sound the same then the reason it's not popular here is because it's foreign. It's not just Korean, non-English artists from Europe can't break in either. North America just goes with local acts and local distributing companies, which makes sense.

If you find away to make K-Pop popular, you'd be a bazillionaire cause it hasn't been cracked yet.

Here one example. Hit play and close your eyes.... how's it sound?
Sounds like all the hip-hop/pop songs listed in the iTunes top songs I browse through. Seriously, other than the fact the singer is Korean, there is no difference.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #36
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i think Psy is pretty much going to be a one-off for Asian popstars making it big over here, there will be plenty who try to copy his success but no one will come close
Well, Bieber's manager has just signed Psy and is in talks with Hyuna.

The article states that Hyuna's only 20, in university, and says she would like to work on her English before committing. But this may not be the last we hear from Psy...
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #37
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's awards season in Korea. All the beautiful people.

49th Grand Bell Awards

2012 Blue Dragon Film Awards

MMMMmmmmm

Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #38
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

The last pic shows more Korean cleavage than one usually sees in any 10 random K-pop music videos.

And I approve.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

On Strike!!!!!

Since we've been talking a lot about lockouts and strikes, thought you guys would be interested in an actor's strike!

Cast walks out of Great Seer shoots citing no pay

Quote:
There’s more trouble afoot in dramaland, with SBS’s historical drama The Great Seer being forced to shut down production on Saturday, December 8, when its cast refused to continue shooting.
The chair of the Korea Broadcast Actors Union issued a statement explaining that the drama, which began airing in October, has failed to pay a penny to its actors in the two months that it has been running. Until the production rectifies the situation, it stated that the actors will not film. Currently the drama has broadcast through Episode 18 of its scheduled 36.
Most dramas in Korea have a "live-shoot". They will shoot 2 episodes and then air those 2 episodes before shooting the next two. It's actually quite interesting because due to low-ratings, high-ratings or even fan opinion on message boards. Yes, the Korean version of CP could jihad something and change a script maybe!

It's quite amazing that such a huge channal SBS (one of the three main networks) is caught accepting a drama from a production company what can't pay wages. With the series 18 out of 36 episodes aired (9 weeks left!) what's going to happen now? The next episode is on Wednesday and there's no film. And these aren't any old actors, Ji Sung and Kim So-Yeon are superstars.

Well it sort of got resolved.

Quote:
The drama department head of SBS, Kim Young-sub, reported to the media the following day that the producers promised to take responsibility and resolve the payment issue. As a result, the cast resumed work on December 9 under the expectation that they will be paid by the 11th.
What a mess. The drama of the drama is better than the drama!

Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #40
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Some new music