Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2024, 11:10 AM   #2101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah there wouldn't have been subsequent times..........
It happened 3 times.

Thankfully, I never got bitten.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:38 AM   #2102
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

My brother has two pitbulls (yes, always two as someone said). One is small and you honestly wouldnt even think she is a pitbull, to be honest.

The other is an XL. It's a tank, like if it wanted to, i truly dont think my brother could stop it from getting at whatever it wanted. So with that in mind, its always my sister in law taking both dogs for a walk by her self. all 5'2", 120 lbs of her.

Anytime i hear news about another Pitbull attack i always shutter to think its that tank of a dog.

And yes, i love my brother but he predictably fits into the big truck, male peacockary, that seems to infect pitbull ownership
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:39 AM   #2103
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ban pitbulls please
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 11:42 AM   #2104
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

the worst were these effing morons bringing pitbulls in to Calgary from kill shelters in California. With no history of the dogs...

If one of those attacked a Calgarian or their dogs I hope that association gets their ass sued.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:54 AM   #2105
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Luckily my dogpark has very friendly people and almost zero pitbulls, but when I do see a pitbull owner it's always exactly who you imagine.

They're as loopy as antivaxxers, can't reason with them.

Last edited by Engine09; 02-28-2024 at 04:51 PM.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:55 AM   #2106
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention that breed sure seems to attract its fair share of trashy owners. I have no doubt there's plenty of responsible pit bull owners out there...but living downtown, it feels like nearly every time I see that breed on a walk, the person on the other end of the leash has a clear "thug life" vibe going on. I shudder to think how they're raising it.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:57 AM   #2107
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ed Hardy Shirt - check
White Oakley's - check
True Religion Jeans - check
Flat brimmed hat - check

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:04 PM   #2108
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Come on guys, it's only like 9 out of 10 owners who fit that description. Not every single one. A few bad apples, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM   #2109
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I always equate pitbulls to the gun argument. Small breed dogs are water pistols. The odds of them killing a human are astronomically low if not impossible. Maybe if your Yorkie decided to gnaw at your jugular vein for an hour after you passed out from copious amounts of opioids would be the only way it could happen.

All larger breed dogs to a certain extent are a firearm. If someone shoots you with a light calibre hunting rifle, yes you could die, but if it hits you in the right spot but there still a reasonable chance of survival. Most larger breed dogs can be reigned in from an attack, with good commands or a kick to the ribs.

Pit Bulls are like owning an Anti-tank rifle. You get hit, you're likely dead. Once a pit-bull gets to your throat and locks its jaws, you are done. There's almost no way to stop it. About 20 years ago I saw a pitbull attack a smaller dog at a dog park, and 3 people were kicking the dog as hard as they could and it was oblivious to it. Almost like the thing had an invincibility cheat code. And of course the owner was exactly what you'd picture, and yes he was such a good boy and never did anything like this before. Added points for fleeing the scene and not sharing his info with the owner of the dog his pet just killed.

And that's where there it's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people rationale comes in. The typical pitbull owner is trash. Not all, but most. They are the types of people that shouldn't own a gerbil, let alone a dog. You have a volatile, destructive weapon of an animal, in the hands of a volatile destructive person which compounds the odds of the thing going rogue. It's a terrible match.

I own guns, and I own dogs, both responsibly. I see no reasonable reason to own an anti-tank rifle, no differently than I see no reasonable reason to own a pit bull. An accidental discharge by the rifle is as unnecessarily dangerous to the public within a +/- 1 km radius as the chance of pit bull hopping the fence and deciding to go after my neighbour.

It's time to let this breed die out, at least in civilized countries.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:42 PM   #2110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Not to mention that breed sure seems to attract its fair share of trashy owners. I have no doubt there's plenty of responsible pit bull owners out there...but living downtown, it feels like nearly every time I see that breed on a walk, the person on the other end of the leash has a clear "thug life" vibe going on. I shudder to think how they're raising it.
That seems to be the case of most owners but clearly they have some lobbyists in high places as the breed really should be banned as it's a breed that was bred to fight and are inherently aggressive.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:01 PM   #2111
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I always equate pitbulls to the gun argument. Small breed dogs are water pistols. The odds of them killing a human are astronomically low if not impossible. Maybe if your Yorkie decided to gnaw at your jugular vein for an hour after you passed out from copious amounts of opioids would be the only way it could happen.

All larger breed dogs to a certain extent are a firearm. If someone shoots you with a light calibre hunting rifle, yes you could die, but if it hits you in the right spot but there still a reasonable chance of survival. Most larger breed dogs can be reigned in from an attack, with good commands or a kick to the ribs.

Pit Bulls are like owning an Anti-tank rifle. You get hit, you're likely dead. Once a pit-bull gets to your throat and locks its jaws, you are done. There's almost no way to stop it. About 20 years ago I saw a pitbull attack a smaller dog at a dog park, and 3 people were kicking the dog as hard as they could and it was oblivious to it. Almost like the thing had an invincibility cheat code. And of course the owner was exactly what you'd picture, and yes he was such a good boy and never did anything like this before. Added points for fleeing the scene and not sharing his info with the owner of the dog his pet just killed.

And that's where there it's not guns that kill people, it's people that kill people rationale comes in. The typical pitbull owner is trash. Not all, but most. They are the types of people that shouldn't own a gerbil, let alone a dog. You have a volatile, destructive weapon of an animal, in the hands of a volatile destructive person which compounds the odds of the thing going rogue. It's a terrible match.

I own guns, and I own dogs, both responsibly. I see no reasonable reason to own an anti-tank rifle, no differently than I see no reasonable reason to own a pit bull. An accidental discharge by the rifle is as unnecessarily dangerous to the public within a +/- 1 km radius as the chance of pit bull hopping the fence and deciding to go after my neighbour.

It's time to let this breed die out, at least in civilized countries.
Pit bulls are bred to.....not so shockingly enough, fight bulls in pits (AKA Bull baiting). It's not just a clever name. The way the dogs would take down, the much larger, bulls was to bite onto their necks and faces, not let go, and eventually the enraged bull would pass out and/or die. Bulls are very strong and thrash around, so the bite has to be very strong to hang on.

It's not just about temperament, it's about having a dog that has been specifically bred to have the physiology to kill larger animals by biting onto their neck and faces and not letting go.

It's, as you say, a 100% unnecessary danger to perpetuate. You can get a dog that's loyal and loving, that can also, far more easily, be subdued when it attacks. The anti-tank rifle is a good analogy. If the dog is built to kill a full grown, and enraged, bull, think about what it can do to a human.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 01:20 PM   #2112
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Pit bulls are bred to.....not so shockingly enough, fight bulls in pits (AKA Bull baiting). It's not just a clever name. The way the dogs would take down, the much larger, bulls was to bite onto their necks and faces, not let go, and eventually the enraged bull would pass out and/or die. Bulls are very strong and thrash around, so the bite has to be very strong to hang on.

It's not just about temperament, it's about having a dog that has been specifically bred to have the physiology to kill larger animals by biting onto their neck and faces and not letting go.

It's, as you say, a 100% unnecessary danger to perpetuate. You can get a dog that's loyal and loving, that can also, far more easily, be subdued when it attacks. The anti-tank rifle is a good analogy. If the dog is built to kill a full grown, and enraged, bull, think about what it can do to a human.
I would also point out that all fighting breeds have to be bred to be stupid, it is not in the nature of any dog to fight to the death, you have to pick dogs that aren't smart enough to know better and have a greater instinct of aggression to get a dog you can put in a bull pit that will fight, you put a collie in there and it will just run away, stupid dogs though are also harder to train and control
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:06 PM   #2113
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Yeah there wouldn't have been subsequent times..........
This last attack was very close to my house and I was actually walking my dog a few hours before it happened. My dog is a mutt, and even though she’s a big dog I don’t know if she could have survived an attack from 2 pit bulls.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:30 PM   #2114
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most pitbull of pitbull stories a few days ago. Lucky the woman was able to have the metal fences to climb up and scramble across just to stay alive herself. Wild.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:42 PM   #2115
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTF? Why didn't they just shoot some darts at all those dogs? Then have them put down, obviously. "Oh, this one looks like the blood on it might have been from incidental contact, not eating people. Let's re-home it." Unreal.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:02 PM   #2116
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
WTF? Why didn't they just shoot some darts at all those dogs? Then have them put down, obviously. "Oh, this one looks like the blood on it might have been from incidental contact, not eating people. Let's re-home it." Unreal.
Darts? it's LAPD, why not just shoot the dam dogs, I'm a dog owner and dog lover but I would have just grabbed the shotgun in that situation
Old 02-28-2024, 04:38 PM   #2117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Darts? it's LAPD, why not just shoot the dam dogs, I'm a dog owner and dog lover but I would have just grabbed the shotgun in that situation
Well, I figured with that many dogs and that many cops, the odds of an errant shot were at least 100%, so darts seemed safer with so many people around.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:50 PM   #2118
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just had a brief conversation with a coworker about this story, he got worked up immediately and stated emphatically that it's 100% on the owners. It's not the dog, it's the owners. Zero acknowledgement that these specific dogs are dangerous as hell and maybe they should control, limit or flat out stop breeding them.

That's why it's hard to get stuff done, people are unreasonable.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:28 PM   #2119
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Just had a brief conversation with a coworker about this story, he got worked up immediately and stated emphatically that it's 100% on the owners. It's not the dog, it's the owners. Zero acknowledgement that these specific dogs are dangerous as hell and maybe they should control, limit or flat out stop breeding them.

The pitbulls are like guns, yes of course its the owners fault, that's why 95% of the population should never be allowed either a gun or a pitbull, they are morons that can't be trusted.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:36 PM   #2120
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post

If he's aware that their are dangerous owners, how does he propose controlling them? Tests and licensing to own dogs, generally?

Maybe he's right. Maybe there are bad owners out there. It's also difficult to control whether bad owners get dogs. So maybe it would makes sense to have less dangerous dogs, especially in urban areas.

I just don't see how the existence of bad owners is an argument for having more dangerous dogs.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking