Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:
Default Black Friday laptop

My wife’s looking for a new laptop for around $400. Just wants to store pictures and that on it. Any one know of any Black Friday sales?
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I know there’s a Lenovo for $399 at staples and a Acer at Walmart
Old 11-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Ok nevermind.

I guess “help me find a laptop for my pictures” means I’m going to buy one tonight from Best Buy
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why a laptop over a Chromebook?
Old 11-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this thread was a rollercoaster.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 01:58 AM   #6
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Those times when asking for help is more just letting you know that it’s going to happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I might be able to keep the thread title alive with the same request. My wife is in the RN program and is lugging around a heavy laptop for school. Is there something lightweight without heavyweight performance (and price)? The Microsoft Surface Pro looks ideal but is overkill and way out of my budget.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Yeah, I've got a family member in the same boat as well...
Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you just need internet and office type stuff I like the chrome books.

It does limit you if you need specific software as it only does web based and the android App Store.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I might be able to keep the thread title alive with the same request. My wife is in the RN program and is lugging around a heavy laptop for school. Is there something lightweight without heavyweight performance (and price)? The Microsoft Surface Pro looks ideal but is overkill and way out of my budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Yeah, I've got a family member in the same boat as well...
I've gone through a ton of laptops for school purposes over the last decade+ and whatever brand you decide on, don't buy a commercial grade laptop. Buy a business grade laptop. Depending on whether touch screen is required (IMO it's not necessary, just a nice to have), I would highly suggest buying a business grade laptop with i5 and SSD minimum for school. Furthermore ALWAYS use some type of program with a cloud upload feature such as Dropbox and save ALL school work in Dropbox or equivalent. If the laptop dies, crashes, is stolen etc. It's super easy to login to another computer and keep going rather than having to start over. For school, as dumb as this sounds, I also always recommend looking into purchasing a small 4-6 ft extension cord. It helps to ensure that you have longer range to a plug, can share a single plug with others at times and in the event someone runs a cable over, less likelihood of damage and it's cheaper to replace a damaged extension cable for 10-15 bucks than a damaged charger which you need ASAP and will run 3-5 times that amount depending on the level of expedite.

Chrome books are also good for traveling, but IMO they're a handicap in school. Don't get one of those for higher education. Get a good laptop and sell it after school is done. Or just keep it for personal use. Whatever.

My favourites are either a Lenovo T or X series (I own both) and make sure it has a SSD. There's some Dell (XPS) or HP options (probook or elite book), and I've owned all of them and used them all, but I don't have as much recent experience with them and they're a bit inconsistent due to recent redesigns. Those companies also like locking down laptops software and hardware wise which also makes them a PITA if you need to do minor upgrades a few years down the road. Lenovos are designed for you to open them up and do basic stuff yourself which I like (ie: Ram and SSD).

Lenovo X series is the ultra portable. The Lenovo T series is a little thicker but not by much (15-20% more weight and bulk). Both are designed to be a reasonable weight with good performance but also immune to typical impacts and compression from "normal" studying and work circumstances. The X and T series can easily withstand like 15-20 pounds of books stacked on top without breaking a sweat vs commercial grade I'd be worried about 5 pounds (not recommended you do this regularly though). Keyboards are also excellent to type on for extended periods of times (unlike many crappy keyboard layouts for commercial grade laptops).

If you buy, make sure to get Rakuten and get anything ranging from 4-10% cashback for purchases on Lenovo Canada website. Both should be available for around $800-1100 all in before cash back, especially with Black Friday deals going on.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #11
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is somewhat different from what the thread is aimed at, but if you're looking for a sub-$2K gaming laptop it'd be hard to do better than these two right now...

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77662

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77660

4K OLED screen for 1949, or the 240hz LCD version for 1899. There's a ton of upgradeability in the Aero 15 chassis as well as one of the better batteries you can get in the segment.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #12
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

She needs a laptop to store Pics? Just grab an external drive (Assuming you already have a computer) for storage
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #13
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought this one off amazon for 699.00 I am going to return it as I bought something from the buy & sell here instead.

If anyone is interested in the sale price I would be more than happy to give it to you

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:23 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
She needs a laptop to store Pics? Just grab an external drive (Assuming you already have a computer) for storage
How many pics can the typical person without a DSLR/Mirror less take anyways. If you have an idle SD card slot, I say take advantage of it and buy a 128/256 GB class 4 or 10 card for cheap to expand the computers memory. It'll run like $30-50, take probably like a year to fill up and won't be in the way like an external drive.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:29 PM   #15
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

She has a DSLR and has been taking some photography courses and a couple of the programs she wanted to try wouldn’t go back on the old laptop. 32 bit windows 7. Plus it was pretty bulky and heavy and was just time for a new one.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
She has a DSLR and has been taking some photography courses and a couple of the programs she wanted to try wouldn’t go back on the old laptop. 32 bit windows 7. Plus it was pretty bulky and heavy and was just time for a new one.
Ah, that’s slightly different then. She’d likely use the laptop just as much to view pics in high definition (vs camera screen) as well As storing the pics she is taking on her camera.

If you have extra budget, I’d consider looking into a USB screen. It’s super nice to have a dual screen option for laptops.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #17
cacaorel
Draft Pick

I know that Black Friday has passed but there are still various black friday and cyber monday laptop deals available. You can also find a good deal on gaming laptops as well. Presently, you can look for Acer Aspire 5 on which you will save around 10%.

Last edited by cacaorel; 01-15-2020 at 09:00 PM.
cacaorel is offline   Reply With Quote