Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #841
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Red Sea Diving Resort should have been called Bad Jewish Argo.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #842
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Boys was bad. Real bad. It was essentially the plot of Superbad with 12 year olds, and devoid of humour. Anything remotely funny was in the trailers, so I'm a bit surprised to see posters claim the opposite. I laughed exactly 3 times. The kids were poor actors, even for kids. If I hadn't used my Scene points to purchase the ticket I would have walked out 30 minutes in and demanded a refund.

Do not recommend.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #843
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Good Boys was bad. Real bad. It was essentially the plot of Superbad with 12 year olds, and devoid of humour. Anything remotely funny was in the trailers, so I'm a bit surprised to see posters claim the opposite. I laughed exactly 3 times. The kids were poor actors, even for kids. If I hadn't used my Scene points to purchase the ticket I would have walked out 30 minutes in and demanded a refund.

Do not recommend.
Yeah my teenage son saw this with a friend and said it was dumb, with just a few laughs. If he’s not finding it funny, then I imagine most adults aren’t going to like it.

I might give it a try when it makes its way to a streaming platform, since I’m pretty lowbrow.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #844
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah my teenage son saw this with a friend and said it was dumb, with just a few laughs. If he’s not finding it funny, then I imagine most adults aren’t going to like it.

I might give it a try when it makes its way to a streaming platform, since I’m pretty lowbrow.
Even then, I think there is one or two Seth Rogan films that I can even tolerate. They're just usually so bad.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #845
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to see Blinded By the Light yesterday. Such a fun, sweet, and inspiring movie. I had a grin on my face the entire time.

You don't necessarily have to be into Springsteen to enjoy it. But if you are a fan of the Boss, this film is a real treat.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 11:11 PM   #846
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ready Or Not is a great, light-hearted rom com.

It's also technically a Disney movie since it's under Fox 20th Century through Walt Disney studios. My friend and I then speculated on whether or not that makes the lead female a Disney princess. If so, she might be the best one ever.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-26-2019 at 01:02 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #847
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

It's also technically a Disney movie since it's under Fox 20th Century through Walt Disney studios. My friend and I then speculated on whether or not that makes the lead female a Disney princess. If so, she might be the best one ever.
Isn't this movie about the family hunting the bride? The trailer makes it look like a horror movie.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #848
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aladdin was.....awful.

Oddly enough, Will Smith's Genie might have been the sole redeeming quality, but overall....wow that was bad.

I watched it with my wife and daughter who are about as Pom-Pom-Waving Disney-lovers as they come and watching people watch a story they loved and cringing...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #849
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I couldn't pay attention to the rest of the movie over how pretty Naomi Scott was as Jasmine.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #850
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I couldn't pay attention to the rest of the movie over how pretty Naomi Scott was as Jasmine.
I definitely think there is room for a dark, gritty DC-esque remake of Aladdin due to socio-political circumstances inherent in the primarily Religious-male dominated Dark Ages Arabia.

"Hey Princess Jasmine, you see that Monkey? That monkey has more rights than you! Now, lets talk about this 'not being silent' and seemingly endless proclivity for breaking out into upbeat and positive song...."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #851
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just came from watching Interstellar on IMAX. I only ever got to see it on dvd, and heard it was quite the experience to watch on IMAX.

Wow. One of my top 3 all time already, and IMAX just put it on another level for me.

What a great movie.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #852
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Just came from watching Interstellar on IMAX. I only ever got to see it on dvd, and heard it was quite the experience to watch on IMAX.

Wow. One of my top 3 all time already, and IMAX just put it on another level for me.

What a great movie.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Quote:
Brockmire: My only triggers are dive bars and the movies of Christopher Nolan.

Jules: That's right! You threw a whiskey bottle at my TV during Interstellar!

Brockmire: Interstellar. You know, I just want to be told a story at the goddamned movie. I don't want to be taught a lesson in how to solve the puzzle of what the hell I'm watchin'.
Jim nails it yet again!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #853
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Boys was hilarious, and cute. Go see it!
Old 09-03-2019, 12:19 AM   #854
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Just saw Ready or Not, thought it was great!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 03:52 AM   #855
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s a movie on Netflix called Expo. If you like horribly edited films with cringe inducing acting and a nonsensical plot then this is the film for you.

Made it through about 15 minutes before I turned it off. What a pile of crap.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #856
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kid wanted to watch Godzilla King of the Monsters. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised as it's maybe the most satisfying film ever made for fans of giant monster movies. Unlike the last film the monsters get plenty of screen time so there's no chance of feeling cheated that you had to sit through a lot of a mediocre story to see a little bit of monsters. Unfortunately the lead roles were miscast as Vera Farmiga (I find her extremely annoying, almost a deal breaker in any film) and Kyle Chandler just don't have the chops to carry the flimsy storyline. I don't understand why writers feel the need to inject stuff like the generic broken family story into a monster movie. Nobody is watching a movie like this for a generic drama. I wish they would spend a little more time making better side stories rather than injecting generic filler like this as it's the difference between a good and great movie. Still not enough to derail what is a pretty great monster spectacle.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #857
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched a Robert Pattinson indie flick called High Life and kinda liked it. Sci-fi movie about a ship of about 10 inmates sent toward a black hole so humans on earth could find out more info on what it is. Kinda a different concept and pretty well done. Not a good RT or IMDB rating, but that's indie flicks for you - and Robert Pattinson tends to be pretty good in most of those. Worth a couple hours of your time if you like a story.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:53 AM   #858
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Screwball. Doc on Netflix about the Biogenesis steroid scandal. It’s wild. Might be crazier than Icarus.

If even half the stuff they say it’s true, then MLB is insanely corrupt and this should be getting way more attention. We’re talking intentional criminal action by MLB that’s so brazen yet incompetent that it’s hilarious.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #859
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

IT Chapter Two gets the N-E-B seal of approval. I didn’t like it quite as much as the first movie but I still thought it was fantastic. The actors did a great job mimicking the maneurisms of the kids from the first movie. 8.5/10.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:51 AM   #860
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

IT was definitely a step down from the first one. I agree that the actors did a great job of impersonating the kids but the director really threw it in your face. There were constant flashbacks between the older and younger actors.

Finn Wolfhard had to be de-aged already and it was distracting. They really should have filmed the kid scenes at the same time as the first movie.

It also wasn't particularly scary.

I'd give it a 6/10. Looked great. Acted great but the story was meh and wasn't really that creepy.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: