Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Ivrnet

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre
 
SoulOfTheFlame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Exp:
Default A Game of Thrones **BOOKS OFF LIMITS** v2

MOD EDIT: RULES FOR THE THREAD

There shall be no discussion from the Song of Fire and Ice book series by George R. R. Martin. Please keep all discussion limited to the HBO televised series "Game of Thrones" and related official media (i.e. YouTube Channel video content).

Posts containing references to the books will be removed and access to the Entertainment subforum may be revoked.



----------------

Since A Song of Ice and Fire seems to be on indefinite hold... We have something else to look forward to: The HBO series!!!!

Cast is now out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/


Sean Bean and Peter Dinkladge? The cast is freaking sick. This show is going to be great.
__________________


SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoulOfTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I sill don't think we needed Sansa's rape to get that story to the point it's at.

Related, anyone remember if Winterfell has a moat?
'Needed' is a strange way to think about any created work.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
fredr123
Franchise Player
 
fredr123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Interesting interview with Kit (Jon Snow)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14...dies-interview

If he is coming back, they are really committing to the lie.
Read that earlier. Made me think that if Kit comes back technically maybe it's not going to be as Jon Snow...
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hosting a French Salon.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
'Needed' is a strange way to think about any created work.

"Required to move the story forward."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
To be fair, Yeah_Baby is the resident hipster, he only likes the Flames ironically.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player
 
Cali Panthers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Watch season 6 open with an hour of Bran and Hodor....
Um...good? For my money, that's the only story line that has any real fruit to bear at this point. Having super-warg Bran meet with the "3-eyed raven" and the children of the forest with all their special magic seems like a confluence of characters who can really do some special things in this series. And now that Jon Snow is gone I don't see many in the kingdom who can repel the White Walkers, which is still the main plot as far as I'm concerned.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If we can't fall in love with replaceable bottom 6 players then the terrorists have won.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
"Required to move the story forward."
I don't really understand the criticism of that scene at all. It seemed like an integral part of the story in showing what an awful and horrible marriage it was.

To bring up her escaping with Theon as evidence it was unnecessary makes even less sense. It was that very scene that pushed Theon to start to break free of being Reek, and culminated with killing Myranda and helping Sansa escape.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hosting a French Salon.
Exp:
Default

I just think it's funny. Leave all the story lines on cliff hangers and then ignore them for 60 minutes. But you're right. The White Walkers are the ultimate baddies.
_______ ________ is Azor Ahai reborn. And they will defeat the White Walkers.

And I have read theories of who Azor is. But that's just it. They're theories. What a strange new world we live in.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
To be fair, Yeah_Baby is the resident hipster, he only likes the Flames ironically.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hosting a French Salon.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't really understand the criticism of that scene at all. It seemed like an integral part of the story in showing what an awful and horrible marriage it was.



To bring up her escaping with Theon as evidence it was unnecessary makes even less sense. It was that very scene that pushed Theon to start to break free of being Reek, and culminated with killing Myranda and helping Sansa escape.

You're right. Theon was so impacted by it, when Sansa asked him put the candle in the tower, he ran to Ramsey.

I just don't think the rape was required, and they could have used something else to achieve those ends. Furthermore it's troubling that a women's rape wasn't about the women at all, but about a man's story arc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
To be fair, Yeah_Baby is the resident hipster, he only likes the Flames ironically.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't really understand the criticism of that scene at all. It seemed like an integral part of the story in showing what an awful and horrible marriage it was.

To bring up her escaping with Theon as evidence it was unnecessary makes even less sense. It was that very scene that pushed Theon to start to break free of being Reek, and culminated with killing Myranda and helping Sansa escape.
Do you legitimately not understand the criticism of that scene? It was completely gratuitous. If anyone needed that scene to inform them that Ramsey was a monster and Sansa was probably in for a bad time, then they hadn't been watching the show at all in season 3. That scene added nothing to the emotion of that escape.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
corporatejay
Franchise Player
 
corporatejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Do you legitimately not understand the criticism of that scene? It was completely gratuitous. If anyone needed that scene to inform them that Ramsey was a monster and Sansa was probably in for a bad time, then they hadn't been watching the show at all in season 3. That scene added nothing to the emotion of that escape.
Well if Theon is dead (which I hope he's not) we didn't need 5 hours of torture porn either.
__________________
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to corporatejay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Well if Theon is dead (which I hope he's not) we didn't need 5 hours of torture porn either.
No we didn't. I think that went on way too long as well ... but "Game of Thrones" right? If you dare criticize it, you obviously just want cliche'd network dramas.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:47 AM   #12
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
No we didn't. I think that went on way too long as well ... but "Game of Thrones" right? If you dare criticize it, you obviously just want cliche'd network dramas.
That's not really it though.
No, that scene wasn't needed - it was gratuitous and vile. Like much of the show is. It's a sprawling tale, so by that very nature, a lot that is shown is not needed to push the story forward. Some is just more ugly that it needed to be.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hosting a French Salon.
Exp:
Default

And for what it's worth, I wasn't a fan of Jamie's rape of Cersei in season 4 either. Just totally pointless in my opinion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
To be fair, Yeah_Baby is the resident hipster, he only likes the Flames ironically.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Stannis seemed resigned to his fate, and knew his march was a suicide mission. He fully realized what he had done and wanted to die. If he is alive, what role can he play? He has lost all authority.

Melissandre is a fraud, or has some other agenda. How is it she can simply ride into Castle Black where women are not included?
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/

Last edited by troutman; 06-15-2015 at 09:10 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I don't think anyone is asking for a cliche, but there are some storytelling fundamentals that shows should follow. Fundamental one: don't waste time. As a fan of the show I currently feel that I've wasted all the time we've spent on Stannis. If the intent is just to state yet again that not everyone survives, then that is poor storytelling. I'm sure people here will get all up in arms again over that statement but this isn't a uncommon feeling when it comes to GoT this season.

This finale didn't leave me wondering what's about to happen. It's left me wondering how long it's going to take to get the story back on track. They go from Hardhome which looks like things are going to start to focus, and now it's looking we're heading back to more meandering, especially in the Essos storyline. Except now it's with which characters? Who is the character in the north that makes us care one iota about what happens at the Wall? Ser Davos?

#TeamWhiteWalkers I guess.
Please explain. For one thing we don't know with 100% certainty that he's actually dead. Second of all why do you feel the time was wasted because he lost the battle to the Boltons? Why should it be written in stone that he win that battle and what here left you cheated? IMO the story wraps up nicely as his story was always about a man so hell bent and determined to gain the throne that he would not take no for an answer. He gambled on black magic, ignored the weather, other obstacles, was willing to lose everything and he did. Again I simply don't understand the expectations here by some.
__________________
RIP Al Davis / 1929 - 2011

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-15-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hosting a French Salon.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Stannis seemed resigned to his fate, and knew his march was a suicide mission. He fully realized what he had done and wanted to die. If he is alive, what role can he play? He has lost all authority.

Melissandre is a fraud, or has some other agenda. How is it she can simply ride into Castle Black where women are not included?

Also lets not forget she thought Stannis was the Lord of Lights chosen. We saw another red priestess in Volantis preaching it was Daenerys.

And I'd like to remind everyone about good ole Thoros of Myr and his power to resurrection Beric Donndarrian.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
To be fair, Yeah_Baby is the resident hipster, he only likes the Flames ironically.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #17
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player
 
EldrickOnIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Please explain. For one thing we don't know with 100% certainty that he's actually dead. Second of all why do you feel the time was wasted because he lost the battle to the Boltons? Why should it be written in stone that he win that battle and what here left you cheated? IMO the story wraps up nicely as his story was always about a man so hell bent and determined to gain the throne that he would not take no for an answer. He gambled on black magic, ignored the weather, other obstacles, was willing to lose everything and he did. Again I simply don't understand the expectations here by some.
Exactly.
We are following the stories of everyone who wants the iron throne.
Some left the game early, some are still playing.
If Daenerys is killed later in her quest for the throne, will all that time have been wasted also? If we only followed the narrative of the one who wins in the end, it wouldn't be much of a story.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #18
Bigtime
Franchise Player
 
Bigtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I don't know about the ultimate fate of Stannis. He was always the kind of guy to look everything in the eye (including his own daughter burning on the pyre), yet during that scene with Brienne his eyes kept straying to something off to the side.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
Coys1882
First Line Centre
 
Coys1882's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I just don't think the rape was required, and they could have used something else to achieve those ends. Furthermore it's troubling that a women's rape wasn't about the women at all, but about a man's story arc.
Well I think one could argue it was important to show it in that not only was she raped but she was raped as a virgin on her wedding night which I assume would be even more horrific for a woman. Pair that with all the dreams and hopes she had of her wedding night with Joffery and how far that's fallen for her really drives it home. I think it really helps establish how driven she is to get away to the point she'd even Thelma and Louise it with Theon.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #20
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player
 
Yeah_Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hosting a French Salon.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Well I think one could argue it was important to show it in that not only was she raped but she was raped as a virgin on her wedding night which I assume would be even more horrific for a woman. Pair that with all the dreams and hopes she had of her wedding night with Joffery and how far that's fallen for her really drives it home. I think it really helps establish how driven she is to get away to the point she'd even Thelma and Louise it with Theon.

You could. But they way I viewed the rape was more about Theon than Sansa frankly. It wasn't even about Sansa having her new found agency violently taken away. It was about Theon's surrogate sister being violated to become a reason Theon becomes Theon again.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
To be fair, Yeah_Baby is the resident hipster, he only likes the Flames ironically.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016