Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #141
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Last night's episode completely lost me. I know this show is out there, but that episode just left more questions than answers. Not sure how they are going to end this so quickly. I fear we are going to get no resolution, as you suggest above, the disappearance will just be left unexplained with everyone just moving on.
I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "lost me", but I always end up understanding way more about an episode after reading Alan Sepinall's recaps. Here's his recap for last night.

Spoiler!
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 PM   #142
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Sunday? Just making sure that they haven't changed the day that it airs.
My bad. Sunday.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:46 PM   #143
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can handle the whole not getting answers to the departures, but I don't think we are going to get any answers on Kevin Garvey either. Why can't he die? Why can he keep coming back? A lot of time invested into this god angle to basically end it next week without resolution.
Let's hold out before we judge the show on the Kevin questions. I have a hard time believing they leave that one totally not mentioned.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:22 PM   #144
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bravo for a brilliant finale.

Questions answered, with a little mystery as well(do you believe her story, do you care?).

Everything that we thought was important about this show really wasn't.

Carrie Coon needs to clear out space in her home for a big trophy shelf.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #145
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Bravo for a brilliant finale.

Questions answered, with a little mystery as well(do you believe her story, do you care?).

Everything that we thought was important about this show really wasn't.

Carrie Coon needs to clear out space in her home for a big trophy shelf.
It's funny that after watching the show all this time, I never actually stopped to think about the departure from the point of view of those that left that left. To them 98% of of the world departed. That is if you believe Nora's story as real. ("They have the resources, just not enough pilots")

I'll have to chew on this one for a bit. In the spirit of the show, it ended perfectly.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:28 PM   #146
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was an okay ending, but was really hoping for more.

Maybe there will be a Leftovers spinoff... The Sudden Departures, where we see their world.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #147
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I didn't think that was a good ending at all. Pretty disappointing as the show was top notch for three seasons. Zero resolution on Kevin. Are we supposed to believe Kevi's episodes were because of a heart problem?

My wife looked at me and said. "We waited three years for that?".
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #148
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't think that was a good ending at all. Pretty disappointing as the show was top notch for three seasons. Zero resolution on Kevin. Are we supposed to believe Kevi's episodes were because of a heart problem?

Kevin never dying was because of the heart issue. His episodes were where his mind went when he was out.

If it's revealed that Kevin is some kind of God or chosen one, would that have made the ending better? I don't see how they make that ending without it being extremely lame.

For such a crazy show at times, they went pretty straight forward with the finale and I thought it worked brilliantly.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #149
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I certainly didn't think we would see a resolution to where the people went. This show wasn't necessarily about them, it was about the people who stayed (the leftovers) and how they dealt with the grief/guilt etc.

I thought it was a wonderful ending (and i missed the heart thing); but essentially it's up to you to decide what they were: they could be real, they could be psychotic episodes, near death experiences, heart problems - who knows.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #150
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Maybe Kevin was lying about the pacemaker? we never do see it. Maybe they were all dead (Nora, Kevin Lori)..

But really,The entire theme of the last episode was about telling the truth or lying. The entire series came down to what was real and what we want to believe.

Some don't like endings that open it up to your own conclusions. For The Leftovers, there was no other way they could have ended it.

Had to think on it a few days, but loved it
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #151
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just burned through this show after reading a couple of quick articles on line describing the finale as 'the perfect ending'.

After being burned by LOST many years ago, I've since refused to get sucked into a series unless it was completely finished and I had confirmation that it wasn't a waste of time. Yes, I've been holding a LOST grudge for this long

Well, I feel like I've been duped again.

I really enjoyed the journey and thought the acting was top notch. But, once again, the finale was a joke and a let down.

I don't need to be spoon fed explanations for every little detail ... but I can't forgive a show for being weird just for the sake of being weird. If you are going insert major plot points, then you'd better damn well at least address those plot points later.

Lindelof is a joke. He consistently writes himself into a corner while trying to create engaging arcs and twists. When he can't resolve or explain later, he just moves on ... never addressing the subject again and just hoping the viewer forgets about it.

TL;DR - Enjoyable journey. Top notch acting. Left me largely unfulfilled.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #152
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

What major plot points were not addressed?
Old 07-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #153
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What major plot points were not addressed?
Ok. Perhaps not MAJOR. I guess the major plot point was the Departure ...which they satisfactorily resolved IMO.

Things that come to mind that were 'weird just for the sake of being weird':
- the deer he kept encountering at the beginning of the series - no purpose?
- his dog shooting buddy with no traceable identity - why make his identity 'untraceable'?
- and the dogs. They all just decided to go vicious?
- Holy Wayne - just another wacko cult leader? Then why make it so that he was able to predict the time of his own death?
- What was the significance of that particular edition of National Geographic?
- Jarden - how was the bird able survive buried for 3 days if the place wasn't truly magical?
- How does Kevin survive being poisoned and buried for 8 hours? His 'heart' condition? That's crap
- How does Kevin survive being shot point blank in the chest? His 'heart' condition? That's crap
- How was Kevin able to encounter the 'GOD' guy so many times previously if they explained away his character as just being a local Melbourne celebrity oddball?

Again, none of these are a big deal when viewed individually. I just hate that fact that he throws so many 'mysteries' at you (that should have implications), then he just ignores them and hopes you will forget.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #154
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ I think you're just bitter about Lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #155
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
^^^ I think you're just bitter about Lost.
Hehehehehe .... that is a VERY definite possibility.