Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2020, 11:19 AM   #1561
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the derailleur it sounds like maybe a rubber gasket got chewed up. You shouldn't need grease or locktite. What derailleur is it?

For the cogs, is it when the wheel is spinning and the cassette(all the gears) kind of gyrate around a bit? Cheap wheels can do that. But if you had a hard crash it's possible you bent the freehub body a bit. That's what the cassette attaches to.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #1562
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The side streets are all Zero Dark Snirty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #1563
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kudos to the plows who took care of all of the drifts before I rode home yesterday
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #1564
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
newbie bike repair question:

last year my season ended due to a hard crash that bent my rear derailleur hangar, so i got a hanger adjuster tool and re-aligned it, great!

however in re-installing the drailleur, it won't screw in tight with the hangar, if that makes sense. if i try to tighten it against the hangar, it sort of slips back to being 2-3 turns looser

i noticed when putting the adjuster tool in, it pushed out a lot of black rubbery stuff, do i need to buy some locktite or grease or something to secure it in there?

as well, the cogs kind of...bounce? for lack of a better word - is that normal? it doesnt look like the wheel is out of true or anything, just the cogs sort of rhythmically pulse while the wheel is spinning. i dont remember seeing that before, but i'm really new at this
It sounds exactly like the derailleur hangar is stripped out. If it holds a very very small amount of torque before loosening up, that’s exactly what a stripped thread does. Cogs on the cassette, is it possible the wheel isn’t true to the dropouts? Even a bit of debris can throw alignment off.

Probably bans me, but:
2018 Norco Bigfoot 2 - *large* - Red/Black scheme up for sale. Seriously so little used the tires still have their moulding tags. Pretty disappointed in myself for never getting out there and enjoying it, it’s just sitting around my place longing to be enjoyed. If anyone here is interested, PM me for details before it goes up on Kijiji.

Last edited by 81MC; 02-07-2020 at 03:10 PM.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #1565
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Can you please go back in time and by an XL and then sell it to me? Kthanks.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #1566
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I sold it. Now I'm sad and feel like an idiot, that bike really was perfect.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #1567
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

That’s normal. When you sell something you are telling the buyer all the great things about it. The regret should pass.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #1568
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

To the two guys running across 7th st against a red light, maybe next time the bobcat driver with his bucket at hip height won't be quite so quick to stop...I'm not sure they even saw him after he almost ruined their day.

I also had a fun run in with a typical Calgary driver...errr...clueless lady. Going up 10th st, just before 16th ave the bike lane crosses the turning lane. There is a sign clearly indicated vehicles turning right must yield to cyclists. I see in my rear view a blinker going, as I am about to ennter this area. Then I see this vehicle slowly pass me, so I wonder if maybe she is just phantom signalling. But no, she turns across right in front of me.

Since there was a line of cars stopping her from proceeding, I felt it was my duty to inform her she had just cut me off, illegally.

"I didn't cut you off!"
"yes, you did. You turned in front of me when the sign clearly indicates you are supposed to yield."
"I was in the outside lane, I didn't see you."
She was not, nor had ever been in the outside lane, from when I saw her start signalling from a position behind me, with a bright red light flashing.

"You passed right next to me, and you didn't see me?"
"No!"
"Then you should have your license taken away, and get off the road."

So I left unsure if she is a selfish driver, or a blind one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #1569
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that sucked. Grabbed my bike from the shed...front tire flat. Ugh. Quick mental calculation of getting changed, and taking the bus or a 10 minute tube swap...tube swap wins!

But the valve stem was really stuck in the rim, and I ended up puncturing the tube trying to get it out. Which made re-inflating to find the leak really tricky. But I found a very small one, and it looks like a stud had penetrated the casing. Had that issue last year with the back one.

No worries, thanks to I-Hate-Hulse, I knew I had a basically brand new one around somewhere...nope, not in the garage. Go check the shed, nope no where visible. Back to the garage. Nope. Curse level rising...back to the shed. I wouldn't have left it behind the lawn mower, chaise lounge and stack of patio chairs, right? Wrong. Curse level increasing. Just for good measure it was also looped around said stack of chairs. Finally liberate it.

So I get it installed, but the valve stem doesn't go in very far. Whatever, the air pressure will push in through. Air pressure did not push it through. So deflate, pull it out, drill the hole one size larger, and reinstall. Voila! Not so fast. The tire is directional, and in my not-haste, I had, of course, put it on backwards. Curse level at maximum. So deflate, rotate, reinstall.

Ugh. And that's how a 10 minute job turns into a 45 minute one, real quick.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #1570
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that SingleTrack rim was for indeed for a presta valve....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #1571
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I drilled it out, but I must have been one size too small. I vastly prefer shcrader, particularly on my commuter as it is less likely to snap off if I have any issues.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #1572
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Remember those inflatable helmets? A cautionary tale:

Link
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #1573
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crud, another flat tire. Must have pinched the tube or something last week. This one only took 10 minutes though! Living dangerously with no spare tubes. Going to have to hit MEC at lunch to re-stock.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #1574
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have any of you used Zwift for the indoor rides? Looks interesting to me but I'm still not sure if it's enough to get me interested in going for long stationary rides...
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #1575
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Have any of you used Zwift for the indoor rides? Looks interesting to me but I'm still not sure if it's enough to get me interested in going for long stationary rides...
Since moving back into my home office and not having a commute, I ride on Zwift daily. It's tough to motivate yourself to get bundled up for a 30km ride in the winter.

There's a lot I like about Zwift:

Group Rides: They have organized rides with people all over the world to ride together. Lots of different fitness levels as well so you can pick one that fits you.

Racing: I didn't think I would be into this as much as I am. It's an excellent way to add some focus to your riding. It's easy enough to just coast on the bike but if you're in a race you push yourself a little harder. Every race has different levels so you can take part in a beginner race until you're comfortable enough to move up.

Exercise Plans: They have a lot of different programs to improve the type of riding you want to do (endurance, racing, etc).

Events: Zwift has been really good at putting together events for their users. Whether it's a multi-stage event like the Tour du Zwift, their Zwift Academy that combines workouts, group rides and races or hosting a group ride with Geraint Thomas (the current Tour de France winner).

Meetups: You can set up your own group rides and ride with your friends. There are a few local Calgary ones too that take place in the winter.

There's also the gamification of it that lets you collect new in-game bikes, kit, etc. It's a little lame but still fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be riding outside but it's a great option for maintaining fitness in these cold months when you don't have an excuse to leave the house.

Most bike shops have Zwift setups in their showrooms to let you try it out.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #1576
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Since moving back into my home office and not having a commute, I ride on Zwift daily. It's tough to motivate yourself to get bundled up for a 30km ride in the winter.

There's a lot I like about Zwift:

Group Rides: They have organized rides with people all over the world to ride together. Lots of different fitness levels as well so you can pick one that fits you.

Racing: I didn't think I would be into this as much as I am. It's an excellent way to add some focus to your riding. It's easy enough to just coast on the bike but if you're in a race you push yourself a little harder. Every race has different levels so you can take part in a beginner race until you're comfortable enough to move up.

Exercise Plans: They have a lot of different programs to improve the type of riding you want to do (endurance, racing, etc).

Events: Zwift has been really good at putting together events for their users. Whether it's a multi-stage event like the Tour du Zwift, their Zwift Academy that combines workouts, group rides and races or hosting a group ride with Geraint Thomas (the current Tour de France winner).

Meetups: You can set up your own group rides and ride with your friends. There are a few local Calgary ones too that take place in the winter.

There's also the gamification of it that lets you collect new in-game bikes, kit, etc. It's a little lame but still fun.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be riding outside but it's a great option for maintaining fitness in these cold months when you don't have an excuse to leave the house.

Most bike shops have Zwift setups in their showrooms to let you try it out.
They game-like qualities definitely appeal to me. For example, I'm not a particularly high performing cyclist but I enjoy breaking my own records on Strava and using it as a tool to motivate myself etc. I think I'll need to experiment a bit more with Zwift.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #1577
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Crud, another flat tire. Must have pinched the tube or something last week. This one only took 10 minutes though! Living dangerously with no spare tubes. Going to have to hit MEC at lunch to re-stock.
I had issues with one of my tires going flat last year a few times in a row, turned out the sidewall of the tire was weak and constantly pinching the tube.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:15 PM   #1578
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They game-like qualities definitely appeal to me. For example, I'm not a particularly high performing cyclist but I enjoy breaking my own records on Strava and using it as a tool to motivate myself etc. I think I'll need to experiment a bit more with Zwift.
I'm really liking Zwift. With a smart trainer you can really get some good workouts going.

I think you can get a 7 day free trial. Zwift has their own segments to PR on, and they also show up on Strava. Lately they've been recreating some UCI courses, such as Richmond and Yorkshire. Then there is also the Bologna TT course from last year's Giro, and of course riding through London and New York's Central Park (in the future).
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #1579
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
There are lots of little things like that within the game to push yourself a little more. Most routes have timed sprint sections, KOM (King of the Mountain) and overall time for the route. It keeps track of those times over the month and lets you know when you break a record.

You also see a list of people in front and behind you and how many seconds or minutes they are away from you. Whether they know it or not, it's fun to race them and see if you can catch up before the end of your ride.

They have their own world called Watopia but also have maps for New York, London, Yorkshire, Innsbruck and Richmond.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #1580
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really like zwift as well. There are always challenges you can do, or group rides you can join. I rode with Jens Voigt and Fabian Cancellera before. Well, they led the group, I tried to hang from the back. Fabian live tweeted his rides while he did them to prove it was him. Zwift has an alps d'huez climb, which is as you would expect, extremely hard. KOM's and sprint challenges. It has the game like feeling where you get rewards, and then you can buy better bikes and wheels, like a lighter one for climbing, or a TT bike for flatter stages.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote