Huge win for Shapo he needed this! Next up Pouille
Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #3482
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Looking at the draw, if Denis can get by Pouille, he would play the winner of Kyrgios and Khachanov. Pouille is gonna be tough enough lol
Old 08-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #3483
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Anybody watching Shapo's match?!? He dropped the first set to Joao Sousa 6-2, just curious if Sousa is playing great or if Denis is crapping the bed.

Edit: Denis has leveled the match at one set each taking set 2 6-3. Go Shapo Go!

Edit #2: Denis advances winning set 3 6-2. Nice rally after dropping the opening set.
It was Denis crapping the bed in the 1st.

Shapo was hot garbage in the 1st set (though he only committed 1 DF at that time) spraying ground strokes all over the place. Sousa had only 2 winners in that 1st set and only 7 total winners (3 FH, 3 service winners, 1 BH) over the entire match!

Credit to Shapo for 'rising up' to turn this result around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #3484
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
This will be really tough test for Shapo. He won't get away with putting up a garbage set against Pouille, who is much better than his last few months suggests.

It would do wonders for the Canadians confidence going into the US Open if he could go on a reasonable run here in Cincy.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #3485
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
14th seed means one less round, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Not at a major, but it does mean she should get some easier opponents for the first round or two.
She doesn't skip a round, but the US Open seeds the top 16 ranked players, such that she won't face another of the top 16 until the round of 16 (i.e. the round prior to the quarter-finals).

Getting seeded in the top 16 is a big deal for the US Open.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #3486
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As if it couldn't get any worse, Bouchard just flamed out of the Vancouver ITF event in the first round.

This has got to be near, if not actually the end of the road for her career at this point. She hasn't won a match since February 17th! There certainly isn't a hope in hell that she can make it through US Open Quallies to salvage her year if she can't even win a match at a lowly ITF event.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #3487
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

In contrast, Andreescu has not lost a match since February. Bouchard will be in the US Open. She just made the cutoff.

Also, Zverev the Fraud is out.

Other than the 1300 bonus points for winning the ATP Tour finals, his ranking is tanking.

Last edited by GirlySports; 08-14-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #3488
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Greek yogurt and Denis both lost today as well.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #3489
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Umpire has no balls. Kyprios should have had his dbag ass disqualified during that 2nd set. Pathetic. the ATP is effing clueless has bad he is for tennis.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #3490
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the most pathetic game of tennis ever played. the ATP better suspend him for the US open. 90 minutes of ranting and raving against the umpire and then the crowd. Didn't get a lick for the entire last set.

End of the match he tells the umpire to Eff off and spits in his direction. What a jack ass.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #3491
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh but a woman snaps at an umpire and there is hell to pay.
What a joke.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #3492
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is in no way to be interpreted as defending Kyrgios' actions as they have been reprehensible, but why oh why do they keep assigning Fergus Murphy to umpire his matches? The two have a bad history and it's almost as if the ATP wants Kyrgios to explode by continuing to put Murphy in the chair when Nick is playing.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 08-15-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #3493
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite was when he got a time violation then complained about Nadal. Saying things like Nadal takes 30 seconds for his routine everytime and how Nadal has special rules, and how does he get those rules. He wasn't even playing mate 😂
Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #3494
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
This is in no way to be interpreted as defending Kyrgios' actions as they have been reprehensible, but why oh why do they keep assigning Fergus Murphy to umpire his matches? The two have a bad history and it's almost as if the ATP wants Kyrgios to explode by continuing to put Murphy in the chair when Nick is playing.
I've only got about a tweet or two to go on, but supposedly Murphy is a respected, level-headed and consistent official on the tour. in past run-ins with Kyrgios, has Murphy made mistakes or decisions that could be construed as bias? because if not, then it shouldn't matter what Kyrgios thinks of him, he should not get to decide who officiates his matches by who he likes/hates.

anyways, this ongoing pattern of behavior would have gotten Kyrgios absolutely hammered with heavy fines and suspensions in most other professional sports leagues. maybe they're still trying to play up his bad boy image as a marketing gimmick, but it really shows how toothless the governing body of pro tennis is. imagine how Bettman would have dealt with this clown show. he would have ended this man's whole career.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #3495
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bettman (and / or Colin Campbell) has had to deal with similar feuds between players, coaches or teams and a specific official in a number of instances, and has consistently done exactly what Dash_pinched is suggesting: give them a different referee squad. It would be perfectly simple to do here, as well. You pretty much knew coming in what was going to happen, that it would likely not be worth the price of admission or in any way enjoyable to watch, and tournament management is about creating the best possible experience for the fans. They failed to do that here.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #3496
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the Hollyburn Country Club yesterday taking in some tennis at the Odlum Brown Vancouver Open and just thought I'd share some photos (disclaimer - My phone isn't the best and neither is the photographer lol):

Spoiler!

Last edited by dash_pinched; 08-15-2019 at 09:10 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #3497
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
Oh but a woman snaps at an umpire and there is hell to pay.
What a joke.
I mean, sure. If you want to pretend that Kyrgios doesn't get trashed all the time for his behaviour. Or fined (at least 11 such fines in his career) suspensions (at least one served, one suspended) or defaulted (at least once).

If you want to play up a double standard, Kyrgios is not the hill you want to die on.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #3498
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it's the repeat offender status and lack of escalating discipline that's the problem. in the NHL the sizes of fines and lengths of suspensions are still pretty arbitrary, but in general they do tend to climb as the player accumulates offenses, particularly if they are in a shorter time span.

I'm expecting more of the same old fines for Kyrgios in this case, rather than the ATP actually taking into account his long rap sheet to do something that might actually be a deterrent.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #3499
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need Kyrgios because he plays lots of 250 and 500 events and since there are basically no stars outside the big three right now, and we all know they avoid those tournaments, you need some kind of draw. They're going with the "any press is good press" approach I suppose.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #3500
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I think it's the repeat offender status and lack of escalating discipline that's the problem. in the NHL the sizes of fines and lengths of suspensions are still pretty arbitrary, but in general they do tend to climb as the player accumulates offenses, particularly if they are in a shorter time span.

I'm expecting more of the same old fines for Kyrgios in this case, rather than the ATP actually taking into account his long rap sheet to do something that might actually be a deterrent.
Oh, no doubt. But if one is going to argue sexism, trying to compare Serena Williams being criticized for a really pathetic outburst to Nick Kyrgios... who also gets criticized for his really pathetic outbursts is not a winning position.

Both players have notable histories of abusive behaviour towards officials. Both get criticized for it. This is a terrible example for arguing double standards.
Closed Thread