Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2024, 11:48 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Not nearly as much as Big Turk.
I mean...sure, its a 'sliding scale' but I'd agree with that.

What was that one that tasted like someone drank a Pina Colada, threw it up and then poured chocolate all over it? Three Musketeers?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:48 AM   #62
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And Eatmore bars suck and they've always sucked and everyone knows it!
Wrong! Try one when you are on a trail hike or camping trip in the woods. Life changing.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:50 AM   #63
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Eatmore bars, it's just chocolate, dark toffee and peanuts, what's not to like there?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:52 AM   #64
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Brian Mulroney, how has it come to this?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-04-2024, 11:54 AM   #65
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Wrong! Try one when you are on a trail hike or camping trip in the woods. Life changing.
They're the one chocolate bar that holds up when you're on a hike or fishing! Why do these people hate our wildlands?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:56 AM   #66
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh Brian Mulroney, how has it come to this?
Well, according to some articles, he was the most divisive PM of them all. So this divisiveness over chocolate bars tracks, in a thread about him.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:01 PM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brian were a chocolate bar, he'd be 3 of these.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:07 PM   #68
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

When Mulroney announced he would resign, he said
"Whether you agree with our solutions or not, none will accuse us, I think, of having chosen to evade our responsibilities by sidestepping the most controversial issues of our time."
30+ years later and I don't think there's any room to deny that. His government saw a lot of problems, a lot of which they thought (probably quite rightly, in retrospect) were inherited P.E. Trudeau mistakes, and they decided to face them head-on. Even if the end result didn't bear the fruit it was supposed to, what they tried to do was at least justifiable and seemingly in a genuine attempt to fix the issues of the day.

They desperately had to do something about the budget deficits that Trudeau's government incurred through the early '80s; in retrospect I think it can be argued they were on the right track, but didn't go far enough to get the results required. (Whereas the Chrétien/Martin Liberals basically did exactly what the Mulroney PCs said they'd do, and got a lot of credit for it.)

A lot people hated NAFTA then, and still hate it now, and the detractors were mostly correct about how it would slowly destroy the country's manufacturing base and move it to cheaper Mexican and fervently anti-union jurisdictions in the American South. However, I think in retrospect it would have happened with or without the deal. At least with the deal in place it happened in a somewhat slower and more predictable way. The destruction of the consumer goods manufacturing base would have happened anyway; every first-world country has the same problem. We collectively all off-shored our production of consumer goods to China; NAFTA neither caused that nor stemmed the flow.

The fire they ultimately never should have played with was re-opening Trudeau's constitutional debates in an attempt to iron out the mistakes and omissions with the Meech Lake and Charlottetown Accords. In the end it felt like a bunch of effete politicians were asserting to the rest of us what Canada is and should be. That Quebeckers and Western Canadians alike were the most ardent opponents in the Charlottetown Accord referenda was probably a more effective expression of national unity than the accord itself, haha.

That said, the fact that Mulroney's time in government ultimately ended up with the creation of the Reform Party and Bloc, and the PCs being decimated, is precisely why no PM we've had since has gone anywhere near those issues. Harper cut the GST, which in retrospect I think we'll find to have been shortsighted and merely an easy 'score' of political points, and tabled (and passed) the toothless "Québécois nation" motion in 2006, but no one has otherwise gone anywhere near the constitutional issues that Meech Lake/Charlottetown were meant to address. I doubt they ever will, in my lifetime.

It is amazing to go back and revisit the televised debates between Mulroney and John Turner, and see how far our political discourse has fallen in 40 years. I don't know if Mulroney was as "gentlemanly" as some people say—I've read several anecdotes from his political allies who said he was among the slipperiest, most adept liars they'd ever known—but at least on the surface they could have reasonable discussions about issues. Nowadays is more akin to a bunch of gibbons hooting and hurling excrement at each other...

Last edited by timun; 03-04-2024 at 12:10 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 01:34 PM   #69
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I don't know if Mulroney was as "gentlemanly" as some people say—I've read several anecdotes from his political allies who said he was among the slipperiest, most adept liars they'd ever known—but at least on the surface they could have reasonable discussions about issues. Nowadays is more akin to a bunch of gibbons hooting and hurling excrement at each other...
Yeah, his demeanor never came of gentlemanly to me. He sounded kind of posh an smarmy a lot of the times. I recall hearing a story about after he was elected, he managed to acquire the names and addresses of Liberal staffers, campaigners, and support workers, and he sent them official letters of "Thank You" to them helping to ensure his election bid. A pretty good troll for sure, but not something a gentleman would do.

It's kind of funny that Mulroney has been a defender of Justin Trudeau recently and his son Ben is good friends with Justin.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:41 PM   #70
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
They're the one chocolate bar that holds up when you're on a hike or fishing! Why do these people hate our wildlands?

Impressive how you once again selectively cherry pick certain facts while conveniently sidestepping the undeniable truth that Eat-Mores are made from asphalt.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 01:44 PM   #71
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Impressive how you once again selectively cherry pick certain facts while conveniently sidestepping the undeniable truth that Eat-Mores are made from asphalt.
My ma would buy those costco packs of them, wait until they were stale and hard and eat them. They were only good when there was nothing else better.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:13 PM   #72
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
You got me thinking of Cherry Blossoms now.

It’s been decades since I’ve had one of them.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:24 PM   #73
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I love Eatmore bars, it's just chocolate, dark toffee and peanuts, what's not to like there?
Don’t forget the sawdust.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 02:54 PM   #74
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
You got me thinking of Cherry Blossoms now.

It’s been decades since I’ve had one of them.
I love the Cherry Blossom also, and my sister sees them when she's out and about and buys me a couple. It's quite nice!
Old 03-04-2024, 03:01 PM   #75
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always enjoyed Eatmore and Turkish Delight.

<shrug emoji>

Last edited by Bigtime; 03-04-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:02 PM   #76
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m buying one when I’m back in a couple of weeks.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 03:28 PM   #77
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I've always enjoyed Eatmore and Turkish Delight.

<shrug emoji>
*Lights Torch*

"Get Him!!"

Old 03-04-2024, 03:56 PM   #78
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
*Lights Torch*

"Get Him!!"
That red jelly barf substance of Big Turk. Its like marmalade and dates had a kid with AIDS.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:32 PM   #79
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I love the Cherry Blossom also, and my sister sees them when she's out and about and buys me a couple. It's quite nice!
Thats a bridge too far! Friends off.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 05:41 PM   #80
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Thats a bridge too far! Friends off.
I think it’s nostalgia? Like I wouldn’t say the chocolate is good and it’s kind of waxy. But I just always wanted them as a kid, and it’s just kind of carried over.