Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 PM   #661
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Sorry guys I'll be the first to admit when it comes to computers I'm out of my league. Am I over spending on a gaming rig at a budget of $4k? I'm just trying to avoid upgrading again in a "short" amount of time.
You'll probably don't need to spend $4K on the PC itself, but probably could get there with a nice, big gaming monitor.

Here's a suggestion of parts that should provide a great gaming experience for the next couple of years at least, I've left open the option of the case since there's so much variety now:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vVYzfH

In 2-3 years if gaming performance has gotten too slow, sell the 1080 Ti and get whatever flagship video card is on the market and it should get back to being top-notch.

Last edited by accord1999; 05-14-2018 at 05:53 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #662
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
You'll probably don't need to spend $4K on the PC itself, but probably could get there with a nice, big gaming monitor.

Here's a suggestion of parts, I've left open the option of the case since there's so much variety now:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vVYzfH
Dang that's quite reasonable. With those parts (or similar) I'd be able to run whatever game I want on it's highest settings? Would I need to consider anything else if I wanted to get into vr gear?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #663
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Dang that's quite reasonable. With those parts (or similar) I'd be able to run whatever game I want on it's highest settings?
It would depend on the resolution; for 1440p it should be almost across the board. At 4K, it'll depend on the game. In many games, the 1080 Ti is powerful enough to maintain 60fps at the highest setting but not all of them:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017..._card_review/2

Still, at worse you'll only need to go down a little bit on graphics quality.

Quote:
Would I need to consider anything else if I wanted to get into vr gear?
The only concern I've read about is if you're using a TV instead of a computer with the HTC Vive, you should look at a 1080 Ti with two HDMI outputs for ease of connection and setup.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #664
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry guys I'll be the first to admit when it comes to computers I'm out of my league. Am I over spending on a gaming rig at a budget of $4k? I'm just trying to avoid upgrading again in a "short" amount of time.
I think it depends on how far you want to go; what your target experience is. $4k seems like overkill to me at one go, as mentioned getting a reasonably fast CPU without blowing the bank on the crazy bleeding edge is fine for gaming.

I don't think there's any reason to spend $1400 on a 10 core i9 processor instead of $450 on an i7-8700K.

As mentioned it's mostly about the video card and the monitor you want to drive. If you're fine with a 1440p class monitor a 1080Ti would be all you'll need, maybe replacing just the video card in 2-3 years.

If you want to get a 4K monitor and drive it at 144Hz refresh rates, then you'll need 2 of them and will still have to turn down the quality to get that frame rate. Make that an ultra wide, and no way you'll be getting 144Hz even with two cards.

If you aren't obsessed with framerate and 60fps is fine, a 1080Ti would probably even be ok for most games on a 4K monitor, might need two for an ultrawide monitor.

Keeping in mind that SLI can sometimes be problematic, not all games support it well or even at all right away.

But I think the pattern a lot of us follow is:

- Get good quality surrounding components. A good case, a really good efficient power supply, good quality SSD with good warranty and a spinning drive for larger media files and stuff where speed doesn't matter. External sound card sometimes. Keep these components for a long time (5+ years). Monitors may fall into this class for some.
- Update the CPU/Motherboard/Memory combo when there's really significant jump in performance. Nowadays you can easily wait 3 generations of CPUs without upgrading and not really notice much difference especially for gaming. If you're doing video encoding or compiling code or something else that benefits from higher core counts (6 or 8 vs 4 cores) then one might upgrade more often.
- Update the video card more often, every year or two. Sometimes in sync with a monitor update (i.e. going from a 980 class and 1080p to a 1080 class for a 1440p)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #665
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Good choices, personally I'm crazy about having a silent system so I might niggle over specific brands or models, but that's about what I'd build today if I was building.

As for a case, I have no idea why, but I kinda want this lol.. 2 PCs in one!

Old 05-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #666
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. I'm kinda getting excited about getting into PC gaming. Last pc game I had any time into was the original Everquest so it's been a while heh.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #667
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. I'm kinda getting excited about getting into PC gaming. Last pc game I had any time into was the original Everquest so it's been a while heh.
Wow, there's massive amount of games that you can look forward to then! And with the various sales by Steam and other online retailers and Humble bundles and occasional free game givaways, you'll probably end up (like me) with a huge backlog of great games that you may never get to.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #668
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll be building my newest gaming PC this week. I can't wait to set it up.

Core i7-8700K Processor Bundle w/ ASUS PRIME Z370-A Motherboard
Hydro Series H100i v2 Liquid CPU Cooler w/ 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm Fans
32GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4-3200
Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080TI GAMING GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Intel 760p Series M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, 512GB
WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive, SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
Cooler Master MasterCase H500P E-ATX Mesh Case
750W PSU

Also got the Acer Predator XB271HU 27in Widescreen IPS LED LCD to play in a higher resolution.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #669
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I'll be building my newest gaming PC this week. I can't wait to set it up.

Core i7-8700K Processor Bundle w/ ASUS PRIME Z370-A Motherboard
Hydro Series H100i v2 Liquid CPU Cooler w/ 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm Fans
32GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4-3200
Asus ROG STRIX GTX1080TI GAMING GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Intel 760p Series M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, 512GB
WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive, SATA III w/ 64MB Cache
Cooler Master MasterCase H500P E-ATX Mesh Case
750W PSU

Also got the Acer Predator XB271HU 27in Widescreen IPS LED LCD to play in a higher resolution.
Just a heads up, you can mess with the rgb lights on your trident Z through Asus Aura sync if you've never had them before, also set your bios to the XMP profile to make use of the 3200 speed on that lovely ram.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RinkRat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #670
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Funny I just helped a friend pick out a nice gaming PC and the first thing he installed was Everquest . . . .
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #671
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
Just a heads up, you can mess with the rgb lights on your trident Z through Asus Aura sync if you've never had them before, also set your bios to the XMP profile to make use of the 3200 speed on that lovely ram.
Alas, it isn't the RGB ram. It's this one here - https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63832
Old 05-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #672
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

FWIW, I bought my PC in 2011.

Thanks to Photon, Accord, RinkRat et al (apologies if I missed anyone), I have extended the life of my PC.

My budget was similar to yours back then, however I bought a Dell PC. I'm certain that these fine gents can make your dollar go a lot further at the front end. My PC is at the end of its 'upgradeability' due to crappy stock Mobo and PSU.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #673
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

Thanks to Photon, Accord, RinkRat et al (apologies if I missed anyone), I have extended the life of my PC.

My budget was similar to yours back then, however I bought a Dell PC. I'm certain that these fine gents can make your dollar go a lot further at the front end. My PC is at the end of its 'upgradeability' due to crappy stock Mobo and PSU.
7 years is a great life for a rig.
I typically upgrade at the 4-5 year span.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #674
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

$380 for a 2TB SSD.

Holy poop.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #675
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
7 years is a great life for a rig.
I typically upgrade at the 4-5 year span.
I managed to go from 2011 until last summer on my X58 Board with a Intel 990X simply popping in a new gpu every now and then 285 - 680 - 980.

I wanted to hold out until mainstream 6 Cores, sure enough as soon as I build a 7700k system a few months later the 8700K's popped out.

Now I'm playing the waiting game for the 1180/2080 for a gpu in the summer/fall.

My old system is still going strong as my wife's though, if I bump up it's gpu to my holdover 1070 it should keep on purring along.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 PM   #676
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

7 years seems like a good lifespan for a computer. Yeah there seems to be some people who sure know what they are talking about in this thread. I've read up on some of the parts they were speaking about. I sure have learned a bunch already. Sure is impressive how far computers have come since the Pentium 2 days.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #677
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
$380 for a 2TB SSD.

Holy poop.
Where?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #678
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey guys I am running into an issue. I took apart my wine fridge as it had a noisy fan which is just a 120mm computer fan. Only thing is the 3 pin power end is an old clip style that is smaller than the current 3 pin ends that just slide on.

Does anyone know of an adapter I could use or have a fan kicking around that I could trade for the one I have? The big difference is new fans have 3 wires now so that they can have speed control instead of just default on or off like the old fans.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #679
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Hey guys I am running into an issue. I took apart my wine fridge as it had a noisy fan which is just a 120mm computer fan. Only thing is the 3 pin power end is an old clip style that is smaller than the current 3 pin ends that just slide on.

Does anyone know of an adapter I could use or have a fan kicking around that I could trade for the one I have? The big difference is new fans have 3 wires now so that they can have speed control instead of just default on or off like the old fans.
Just cut and splice the old end on?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #680
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Just cut and splice the old end on?
I didn't leave myself a lot of room as I didn't think this was going to be an issue so I only have one shot. I am worried that because of the variable speed wire it won't work properly,
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote