Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #961
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
http://www.probuiltalt.ca/
Guys shop is on Ogden rd across from the ADM building.

You’ll get a superior end product from him than a reman, and you support a local independent business vs a Chinese ‘rebuild’. Even if you buy new, even top shelf products are now made overseas. You might save some money from RockAuto, but it’s worth having your OEM product serviced locally.
Thanks.

Pretty sure I only need a front bearing due to the contamination noted in my previous post.

However if they are going to open it up anyway might as well toss in some new brushes...
Old 11-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #962
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My elderly mother lives in Calgary and was quoted around $2000.00 from a Canadian Tire shop this afternoon to fix a bunch of issues according to them. Brakes, muffler, sway bar links, transmission pan leak, tie rods, etc...

Does anyone have a trusted mechanic/garage they'd recommend to us? I'd rather send her to someone who comes recommended than trust an unknown Canadian Tire guy.

She lives in the Richmond Green area of Calgary. TIA
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #963
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
My elderly mother lives in Calgary and was quoted around $2000.00 from a Canadian Tire shop this afternoon to fix a bunch of issues according to them. Brakes, muffler, sway bar links, transmission pan leak, tie rods, etc...

Does anyone have a trusted mechanic/garage they'd recommend to us? I'd rather send her to someone who comes recommended than trust an unknown Canadian Tire guy.

https://www.hattautomotive.com/

I have had good results with these guys, sorry that they are not located anywhere near you mom.

At least it is something.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #964
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Yeah, I'd sooner go to a Blaskin and Lane over crappy tire.

What is the year make and model of vehicle?

Last edited by ricosuave; 11-26-2020 at 04:43 PM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 05:27 PM   #965
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It's an 8 yr old Toyota. I think we may have found a guy to look at it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #966
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Alternator re-build in Calgary.

Suggestions ?

My alternator went this summer and I used this shop.

http://canadianalternatorsandstarters.com/

Had decent Google reviews and he tested my bad alternator to confirm. I exchanged mine for his rebuilt Denso unit. Came with one year warranty and cost about $140 with core exchange. Napa and Rockauto were almost double the price. So far so good with quality of reman unit.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vtec260 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #967
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Worry Free Auto is where I'd recommend. Owner/mechanic is former Honda mechanic and his quality of work is good and efficient. I'd avoid CT like a plague for auto service.

https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alber...101030661.html
Old 11-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #968
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

https://www.midsunautomotive.com/
Old 11-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #969
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's an 8 yr old Toyota. I think we may have found a guy to look at it.
I'd recommend Shiraz and the crew at Allmakes. They work on all import cars and are well regarded by local Subaru owners.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #970
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'd recommend Shiraz and the crew at Allmakes. They work on all import cars and are well regarded by local Subaru owners.
This is the first time I've seen a wine pairing recommendation with an auto shop, but hey, I'll try anything once.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #971
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much does it cost for a decent window tint? Nothing special just basic on two back windows and the rear window on a small car
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:10 PM   #972
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
How much does it cost for a decent window tint? Nothing special just basic on two back windows and the rear window on a small car
I'm going to get my new vehicle tinted in the spring and the shops I contacted were all the same. 2 door windows and the rear is $350. Seems like a pretty standard going rate.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #973
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is everyone's thoughts on paint/rust protection/undercoating treatment on a new car? Worth it in Calgary, or a waste of money? If you like it, places to recommend getting it done?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #974
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

I had a guy come to my house and he did the tint in our garage. Very good quality work and no issues for 5 months since we had it done. Cash deal and he was done is about an hour for two front SUV windows and cost $110. PM me for his name and number if you'd like.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #975
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on paint/rust protection/undercoating treatment on a new car? Worth it in Calgary, or a waste of money? If you like it, places to recommend getting it done?
I don't think it's worth it unless you bought a car with known history of rusting from generation to generation (ie. mid to late 2000's Mazda3). My daughter's 2012 Mazda3 doesn't seem to suffer from rusting of rear quarter panel so looks like Mazda did better job of preventing rust. Most newer vehicles come with good factory protection already and if you wash/wax it often enough and look after rock chips quickly, I'd say you will be fine.

Last edited by vtec260; 12-01-2020 at 08:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vtec260 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #976
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The internal rust protection (Ziebart, Waxoil, Cavity wax), whatever they call it, is a very good idea. As in, I tell literally anyone who will listen to either do it themselves, or have a professional so it.

It’s not often that rusty vehicles started rusting from the exposed surfaces fist; it’s almost always creeping from seems and through panels. A diligently applied cavity wax provides a physical barrier to prevent this, with capillary action to reach the tightest of seams and crevasses.

All those GMs with rotted out box sides? Had they had a proper cavity wax from new, they likely would be quite presentable, not garbage 10 years later. Same thing with those Mercedes front fender rot, Audi lower doors, those civic dog legs etc.

Efficacy? - nearly every OEM requires the application of cavity wax during the collision repair process.

We would hope and expect that the factory has applied all the necessary coatings from the factory, and maybe if your car saw clean roads and sun year round it would be enough. Fact is you won’t know until it’s too late, and we have every possible hazard for sheet metal in our climate.

I’m not sure I would trust the dealership lackey to do a full and complete job, can’t say. But seriously find a shop who knows the value in it and have it done. It’s not often that the cheapest method is the best, but this is one of the rare cases.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #977
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO undercarriage rust isn't really an issue in Alberta unless you get 10+ years into ownership and even at that you aren't likely to run into serious issues. Most rust on new cars happen around wheel wells, where different body panels meet, and trunks/hatches/lower doors due to plugged drainage paths. Basic rustproofing most dealers offer where they just spray the undercarriage won't do anything to prevent that.

Anyone considering something like this really needs to evaluate their typical length of ownership of vehicles. If you get a new car every five years or less it's a waste of money. If you keep all or most of your vehicles past 5 years then it may be worth it to investigate your options.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 07:29 AM   #978
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be for a new 4Runner, and ownership will mostly like be in the 5-10 year range and get heavy winter use...so probably worth some sort of protection (it's already getting 3M). I don't think these cars are Mazda or Sprinter bad, but I do see some rust issues at times on 4runners after a while.

I agree that the dealer is probably not the place to get it done, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any particular shops in town that they've had experience with.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #979
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It's going to be for a new 4Runner, and ownership will mostly like be in the 5-10 year range and get heavy winter use...so probably worth some sort of protection (it's already getting 3M). I don't think these cars are Mazda or Sprinter bad, but I do see some rust issues at times on 4runners after a while.

I agree that the dealer is probably not the place to get it done, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any particular shops in town that they've had experience with.

Toyota trucks seem to have a history of frame rust. My 2016 Tacoma had a recall for frame rust. Toyota inspected last spring and the it was fine so they did free undercoating to prevent it.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #980
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Here's a cool video on arguably the first fast wagon, built in a Porsche factory, and spent it's recent years in Calgary:

Of note, Audi never touched these performance numbers in an Avant again until the B7 RS4, which hopefully Corsi will be driving around the city for us all to see soon enough
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: