Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2024, 01:30 PM   #12041
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, I'm not sure where Blender is getting these ideas from, but I don't agree at all. I used to work with a white pine program where that was exactly what we were doing, finding the best candidates to replant for harvest. Some of them were growing 3-4 feet a year on Texada Island.
Yeah, not sure either. I work in an industry that is involved with manufactured wood products, and Canada has amazing companies involved in the forestry sector all the down to the manufacturers using the forestry products.

Actually something that is not emphasized enough, as it all can be a huge source of carbon reduction.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 01:52 PM   #12042
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, I'm not sure where Blender is getting these ideas from, but I don't agree at all. I used to work with a white pine program where that was exactly what we were doing, finding the best candidates to replant for harvest. Some of them were growing 3-4 feet a year on Texada Island.
Trees will grow, but the faster they grow the softer and weaker the wood. The original discussion was around old growth timber and the potential for human-planted seedlings to replace it. That is what I'm commenting on.
I'm not disparaging any of the endeavors that are being discussed here. It is all worthwhile.
I'm only commenting on the reality that the demand for old growth timber exists precisely because of its unique properties that can't be created by any artificial means.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 03:52 PM   #12043
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Trees will grow, but the faster they grow the softer and weaker the wood. The original discussion was around old growth timber and the potential for human-planted seedlings to replace it. That is what I'm commenting on.
I'm not disparaging any of the endeavors that are being discussed here. It is all worthwhile.
I'm only commenting on the reality that the demand for old growth timber exists precisely because of its unique properties that can't be created by any artificial means.
What are the uses for old growth that make it so demanded?
I'm ignorant to what wood does what.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 04:11 PM   #12044
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Manufactured wood products is a huge industry.

Obviously needs wood chips and other recycled wood contents, but it is a multi-billion dollar industry.

And if done right it can be a huge way to store carbon over a long-term.
Yeah, but can they grow just a 2 x 4? Like that"s it. The whole tree is just a perfect 2x4. Look to the future!
Old 04-27-2024, 04:11 PM   #12045
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
What are the uses for old growth that make it so demanded?
I'm ignorant to what wood does what.
Old growth is more dimensionally stable and has lots of uses and is superior in pretty much any situation. It is especially useful for quality furniture making.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 04-29-2024 at 02:52 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 02:31 PM   #12046
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here to study or work? (Though I can't imagine anybody is actually enforcing these caps in the first place?)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/internatio...qN6R69CsW_GQWm

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says international students will be able to work off-campus up to 24 hours per week starting in September.

The Liberals temporarily waved the 20-hour cap on work hours for international students during the COVID-19 pandemic in a bid to ease labour shortages.

The Canadian Press reported earlier this year that officials in Miller's department warned the government in 2022 that the temporary waiver could distract students from their studies and undermine the objective of temporary foreign worker programs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/int...ours-1.7188337

Miller previously floated the idea of setting the cap permanently at 30 hours a week. However, on Monday, the immigration minister said that would be too close to full-time hours.

Last edited by chemgear; 04-29-2024 at 02:38 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 03:58 PM   #12047
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../00001-eng.htm

Slower economic growth over the past year and near-record population increases fuelled by temporary and permanent immigration have put the spotlight on recent trends in Canada’s gross domestic product (GDP) per capita. Real GDP per capita has now declined in five of the past six quarters and is currently near levels observed in 2017.

While the pace of economic activity has slowed, Canada’s population continued to expand rapidly. During 2023, Canada’s population grew 3.2%, an increase of over 1,271,000 people, roughly equivalent to the size of Calgary (Statistics Canada, 2022). With population growth outpacing output growth, GDP per capita has trended lower and is now 2.5% below pre-pandemic levels.

GDP per capita is widely used to gauge differences in living standards across countries. Higher levels of per capita output are generally found in more developed economies with advanced infrastructure, better health care and education systems, and higher levels of access to technologies and innovation. Workers in countries with higher per capita output tend to be more productive and earn higher wages (Leung & Macdonald, 2022).

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:17 PM   #12048
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's something super obtuse about the notion of cutting down trees that are hundreds of years old to make furniture just so we can sit around and fart on it. That is human hubris at it's peak.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:21 AM   #12049
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre says he would use "whatever tools the constitution allows" to pass criminal justice laws if his party forms the next government.

Speaking to the Canadian Police Association on Monday, Poilievre promised to implement more stringent requirements for bail and make it harder for convicted murderers to transfer out of maximum security prisons.

"All of my proposals are constitutional," Poilievre said.

"We will make them constitutional using whatever tools the constitution allows me to use to make them constitutional. I think you know exactly what I mean."

Poilievre didn't explicitly say what tools he was referring to and his office provided no official comment when asked for clarification.
Cool man, vaugeries. Just what we need in a PM. You have conviction for something? Stand up and ####ing say it then.
Quote:
"I will be the democratically elected prime minister, democratically accountable to the people and they can then make the judgments themselves on whether they think my laws are constitutional," Poilievre said in his speech on Monday.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poi...188964?cmp=rss

That's...not how parliamentary democracies work, you ####ing imbecile. Goddamit. Preston Manning's Conservative fascists are on a tear. Can we please, please stop this trash?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:04 AM   #12050
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Here to study or work? (Though I can't imagine anybody is actually enforcing these caps in the first place?)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/internatio...qN6R69CsW_GQWm

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says international students will be able to work off-campus up to 24 hours per week starting in September.

The Liberals temporarily waved the 20-hour cap on work hours for international students during the COVID-19 pandemic in a bid to ease labour shortages.

The Canadian Press reported earlier this year that officials in Miller's department warned the government in 2022 that the temporary waiver could distract students from their studies and undermine the objective of temporary foreign worker programs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/int...ours-1.7188337

Miller previously floated the idea of setting the cap permanently at 30 hours a week. However, on Monday, the immigration minister said that would be too close to full-time hours.
lol. Everyone knows nobody follows this and it is never enforced.

But good on the government!
Old 04-30-2024, 09:10 AM   #12051
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool man, vaugeries. Just what we need in a PM. You have conviction for something? Stand up and ####ing say it then.
Maybe he’s going to use the emergencies act?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:34 AM   #12052
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's...not how parliamentary democracies work, you ####ing imbecile. Goddamit. Preston Manning's Conservative fascists are on a tear. Can we please, please stop this trash?
We need to revoke Preston's Cdn citizenship. He must be one of the worst Cdns in history. Piece of deplorable garbage.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:04 PM   #12053
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, this is why I can't get behind changing the Liberals for the sake of change. You have conservatives telling us they're going to ramp up the facsism/authoritarianism, and people are like "Well we need a change!" "They'll moderate once they're in power!"
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:13 PM   #12054
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well Canada is kinda going in the wrong direction in a hurry, so if you're not worried about that and more worried about those supposed issue the CPC are going to create, perhaps you'll have to yell louder, cause Canadians don't give a #### at this point.

Hopefully the CPC holds to their promises and we see two things happen.

CBC defunding and their buildings turned into housing projects.
Carbon tax gone.

Both will be a benefit for Canada.

Can't wait to hear the whining about it as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:22 PM   #12055
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Canada is kinda going in the wrong direction in a hurry, so if you're not worried about that and more worried about those supposed issue the CPC are going to create, perhaps you'll have to yell louder, cause Canadians don't give a #### at this point.

Hopefully the CPC holds to their promises and we see two things happen.

CBC defunding and their buildings turned into housing projects.
Carbon tax gone.

Both will be a benefit for Canada.

Can't wait to hear the whining about it as well.
LOL. Sounds like a great idea that's really well thought out.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:26 PM   #12056
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now PP is going after convicted murderers and criminals who get out on bail to commit more crimes?
He has gone too far; leave these good people alone. Getting out on bail to assault/kill/rape more people is a tried and true Canadian past time.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:28 PM   #12057
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Now PP is going after convicted murderers and criminals who get out on bail to commit more crimes?
He has gone too far; leave these good people alone. Getting out on bail to assault/kill/rape more people is a tried and true Canadian past time.

Yeah, who needs judicial oversight? Let's just make the Prime Minister a dictator and call it a day.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:35 PM   #12058
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh yes, get rid of the CBC and the carbon tax. Then we'll all live in Utopia. The homelessness, healthcare and education problems will then simply vanish. Everyone will have good paying jobs and there will be peace in the land...

Talk about living in a fantasy world.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:40 PM   #12059
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Oh yes, get rid of the CBC and the carbon tax. Then we'll all live in Utopia. The homelessness, healthcare and education problems will then simply vanish. Everyone will have good paying jobs and there will be peace in the land...

Talk about living in a fantasy world.
You are right, the funding for the CBC would be much better used helping address some massive issues our country is facing, like homelessness, healthcare and education.

I know Manitoba would love the $1.39 billion that the CBC gets every year to improve our health care services and get people off the streets of Winnipeg.

We could start with funding the housing initiative that Shiloam Mission is starting to reduce homelessness by 30% each year in Winnipeg. I think it only needs $10 million per year!
Old 04-30-2024, 01:48 PM   #12060
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
I know Manitoba would love the $1.39 billion that the CBC gets every year to improve our health care services and get people off the streets of Winnipeg.
Defund the CBC and give everything to Manitoba? Not sure the rest of the country would be ok with that.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote