Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #4021
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am using my mail-in ballot, but I am driving it directly to County Recorder's Office and dropping it off there. If you have concerns about the mail and have a mail-in ballot, this is your best course of action.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #4022
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Breaking news: he still doesn’t care. At all.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308532275697586183
Old 09-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #4023
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

There's dodging the question.

And then there's completely ignoring it.

And then there's completely ignoring it because you actually don't give two ####s.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #4024
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
A someone that has spent the last decade living in South Carolina and Oklahoma, I can confidently say you have no idea wtf you are talking about.

I posted here 4 years ago about the sad point in which the 8 year old boy that lived down the street started talking about crooked Hilary.

In my experience, the number one driver in republican policy of the last decade? Doing whatever pisses off liberals the most. Policy 1a? Undoing anything that Obama supported.
the weird thing is, and its the same with my cap doffing brethren in the UK, these are the people that the GOP will screw the most if allowed, it is in the red states they will be awash with industrial waste, when Trump crows about bringing back mining he means mining where the miners lived in a company town deep in debt with no safety standards and probably with the kids down there with them, these dumb schmoes think the right wing will bring back 1950 but in truth its 1850 that's coming for them, no healthcare no pension, no fire service if you dont have an insurance plaque nailed to your hovel
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #4025
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
What a horrendous situation. The big ask for our US brothers and sisters is to go out and vote. In person. Can't prevent all instances of ######baggery, but it would sure help of the numbers were already in the favour of Dems prior to finalizing the mail-in.
It's highly unlikely the Democrats will be leading at the end of election night, as I think I saw somewhere that for those who are able to vote by mail, an overwhelming majority are planning to (around 70%), compared to about only 35% for the Republicans.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #4026
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I am using my mail-in ballot, but I am driving it directly to County Recorder's Office and dropping it off there. If you have concerns about the mail and have a mail-in ballot, this is your best course of action.

Will they lump that in with other mail in ballots? The risk is that all ‘mail-in’ ballots are treated as second class and subject to ratfudgery.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #4027
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Will they lump that in with other mail in ballots? The risk is that all ‘mail-in’ ballots are treated as second class and subject to ratfudgery.
From what I understand, those ballots are counted as early ballots and added to the counts immediately. That is what the word is from the Recorder's Office. Might help short circuit someone's attempts to screw over mail-in ballots and why I thought about sharing it.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #4028
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
This is not going to happen. Just like a civil war is not going to happen. We are a people who too intermixed to have a war or significant conflict. You have Republicans living next door to Democrats. You have large counties that are red in the midst of blue counties. You have a huge mix of people who are cast as enemies who are really friends of the people who are supposed to be their enemy. It just doesn't seem possible unless outside influences, militias and nationalist groups, invade communities to get the #### stirred up.

What this country needs right now is a calming voice. Trump is not that voice. He creates division and unrest. He thrives on unrest and division. He foments it. Biden is the better choice and show the ability to bring communities together. What really needs to be done is to have broadcast license pulled from Fox and Sinclair, and social media shut down. Stop the noise machine for a few years. Get people talking to each other again and having complex discussion instead of relying on 144 or 288 characters to get your message across. We need to get back to our knowing our neighbors and not seeing them as left or right, right or wrong. We are all Americans and there is more than should bring us together than should tear us apart. Sadly, the system is setup for the latter more than the former.
A second American civil war is definitely going to happen, just a matter of time at this point.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #4029
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I love hitting up ye olde ratfudgery every time I am in Banff!
Old 09-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #4030
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
A second American civil war is definitely going to happen, just a matter of time at this point.
I'm not yet convinced of civil war, but I don't think the US ever recovers from Trump and will almost certainly lose global supremacy in this decade, which will involve deeper economic crises and a currency crisis that will ultimately be the end of the American era.

If it does come to civil war, New Era better watch out. University professors are popular targets historically in times like that, and they're certainly demonized by the right in modern day America.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 09-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #4031
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, you're going to have to explain how this is going to happen. Contrary to what you're told, this country is not divided along geographic lines. We are a purple country. Republicans live right next door to Democrats and vice versa. We are split ideologically, but people are not going to take up arms against their neighbor just because one voted for Trump and another for Biden. This just doesn't make sense. So how is this civil war supposed to happen? There's a lot of silly things being said right now about this very real possibility, a lot by people hoping really hard for this possibility, but they have no real idea how this is going to come to fruition. So please, lend a brother a hand and tell me how this is going to happen?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #4032
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Has there ever been a peaceful deconstruction of an empire before?

This has all the ingredients of civil war. The implied notion New Era sets out that the solution to the problems America faces are things like banning social media are more far fetched than civil war. All you need now is a uniter and a common cause which will be something along the lines of let’s separate and make our own country. You see similar hand wringing here in Alberta.

I think people look at the average American and believe that they don’t have it in them to fight. But American culture, at its heart, is a violent society. I think they do have it in them to fight. They’re also armed. They simply need a common cause now and some organization. I also don’t have clarity on where the army lands. It’s filled with people I would assume that lean both directions.

Just don’t see a peaceful resolution to the current American political power structure and then too much requiring large degrees of change throughout its society. Something has to give and I suspect it’ll be wildly violent.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #4033
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, you're going to have to explain how this is going to happen. Contrary to what you're told, this country is not divided along geographic lines. We are a purple country. Republicans live right next door to Democrats and vice versa. We are split ideologically, but people are not going to take up arms against their neighbor just because one voted for Trump and another for Biden. This just doesn't make sense. So how is this civil war supposed to happen? There's a lot of silly things being said right now about this very real possibility, a lot by people hoping really hard for this possibility, but they have no real idea how this is going to come to fruition. So please, lend a brother a hand and tell me how this is going to happen?
Definitely not hoping for it. It would be tragic and catastrophic. It also would massively impact Canada. If anything I’m genuinely worried about it.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #4034
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Just how many of these republicans are willing to admit that the US economy was adding jobs at a very healthy pace during the final 2 years of Obama's presidency?
I liked, because it's downright laughable that republicans believe their party is better on the economy, abortion or public safety. decades of data show that all of these things become bigger problems under republican leadership and improve under democratic leadership. It's the biggest con ever successfully pulled off that people think these things.

You get similar narratives in Canada where people think that Conservatives are better on the economy when the onlys things that really matter here are the strength of the US economy and resource export prices. So its this great myth everyone buys into with no evidence.
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 PM   #4035
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How about a bloody revolution? There is less of a geographical component in that context. It wouldn't be the first time neighbours turned on neighbours.

I can't see anything resembling a "war", but I could see violence and civil unrest crippling the country. Tit for tat can escalate pretty quickly, especially combined with high unemployment, poor social services, a growing gap between the rich and poor, civil rights protests, environmental destruction, natural disasters, and a pandemic.

Aside from just the ideological divide, there could be a perfect storm brewing with everything going on. I still put it as a low probability, but I do think the thermometer is rising.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:42 PM   #4036
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I guess I am largely thinking “bloody revolution” and “civil war” are sort of one and the same but sure I do understand the difference.

But yeah, ####s going to get real for sure.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #4037
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Has there ever been a peaceful deconstruction of an empire before?

This has all the ingredients of civil war. The implied notion New Era sets out that the solution to the problems America faces are things like banning social media are more far fetched than civil war. All you need now is a uniter and a common cause which will be something along the lines of let’s separate and make our own country. You see similar hand wringing here in Alberta.

I think people look at the average American and believe that they don’t have it in them to fight. But American culture, at its heart, is a violent society. I think they do have it in them to fight. They’re also armed. They simply need a common cause now and some organization. I also don’t have clarity on where the army lands. It’s filled with people I would assume that lean both directions.

Just don’t see a peaceful resolution to the current American political power structure and then too much requiring large degrees of change throughout its society. Something has to give and I suspect it’ll be wildly violent.
There is certainly an argument to be made for the possibility of civil war. I do expect we will see violence, but if the US transitions to authoritarianism, I think the transition will be reasonably quick and the large majority of people will either be on-board with King Orange, or they will be silent.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 09-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #4038
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The reason I have a hard time seeing a civil war is the sheer might of the military.

I could see skirmishes in hotspots and even a battle between blue states and the federal government but a legal battle or a fight in the court of public opinion.

Actual guns and soldiers and troops invading cities? Doubtful.

Unless trump loses. Then I could see republican voters mobilizing their hillbilly white supremacist militias.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #4039
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The reason I have a hard time seeing a civil war is the sheer might of the military.

I could see skirmishes in hotspots and even a battle between blue states and the federal government but a legal battle or a fight in the court of public opinion.

Actual guns and soldiers and troops invading cities? Doubtful.

Unless trump loses. Then I could see republican voters mobilizing their hillbilly white supremacist militias.
I have thought about that too. One factor that could come into play though is in the quest for independence certain groups being supplied or aided by American international enemies. You know, the time honoured American international strategy employed over the last several decades coming home to roost. Something that say, the Chinese or Russians could help infiltrate.

Look I know this all sounds crazy but look at trends and it sure seems like when you study history and the ways societies disintegrate- this has all the makings that history has taught us.

At the end of the day the US now has a government not working in the best interests of an educated and pissed off and armed and historically willing group of people to enter a fight. These things happen. When you have millions of Americans not having their needs met, and realizing there is no hope of having their dreams met- that’s the problem. And there is no solution in the current political power structure. American political discourse has trended so toxic, so divisive and so diametrically opposed, I just don’t see what else can happen.

In fact I’d question one step further and ask, what other choice does the average American have, if they want their children to have a better life? This structure works for Bezos and Gates and a handful. It doesn’t for hundreds of millions of others. Think about it. People are going to get ####ing fed up. They already are!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #4040
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

A clip I saw today that made me think he was speaking directly to the handful of loud voices on CP who have been claiming that Biden has no policies or that they aren't progressive.

Closed Thread