Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #2021
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Who have the Flames lost?

Frolik says hi. Also, even though he isn't scoring right now, Neal is helping us win. As are Ryan and Czarnik. You don't have to be a first liner to be helping the team.
Frolik is overpaid and half his goals are empty netters that anyone could get, he has a mere 0 assists. Czarnik is fairly redundant and essentially replacement lvl. I don't think Neal has helped this team much at all as he's never been a very effective player when he isn't scoring, firing the puck into the goalies chest doesn't help us win. Ryan is redundant with Jankowski. I'm not saying fire him, i'm saying he makes many more misses than hits in free agency.

Flames have lost Byron and may lose Bennett. Along with all the deals that may have been made had we not spent to the cap with guys like brouwer eating up space for 3 more seasons. Not a disaster...still a negative IMO
Old 12-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #2022
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Frolik is overpaid and half his goals are empty netters that anyone could get, he has a mere 0 assists.
Since 2015 Michael Frolik is the Flames #5 highest scoring forward. Treliving did not sign this deal yesterday.

Quote:
Czarnik is fairly redundant and essentially replacement lvl.
Redundancy wins championships.

Quote:
I don't think Neal has helped this team much at all as he's never been a very effective player when he isn't scoring, firing the puck into the goalies chest doesn't help us win.
He may not be scoring but Neal sure as hell has not hurt the team while he is on the ice. He plays with the puck with frequency the offensive zone.

Quote:
Ryan is redundant with Jankowski.

Quote:
I'm not saying fire him, i'm saying he makes many more misses than hits in free agency.
With the Flames in first place in the West and leading the Pacific Division by a mile in December I am pretty comfortable with Treliving's record in free agency.

Quote:
Flames have lost Byron and may lose Bennett.
How do you figure?

Quote:
Along with all the deals that may have been made had we not spent to the cap with guys like brouwer eating up space for 3 more seasons. Not a disaster...still a negative IMO
These are all pretty minor criticisms. Building a successful NHL franchise takes years, and no General Manager hits the ground running with no setbacks or misses along the way. Treliving stands in pretty good stead with his peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #2023
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Since 2015 Michael Frolik is the Flames #5 highest scoring forward. Treliving did not sign this deal yesterday.

He may not be scoring but Neal sure as hell has not hurt the team while he is on the ice. He plays with the puck with frequency the offensive zone.

With the Flames in first place in the West and leading the Pacific Division by a mile in December I am pretty comfortable with Treliving's record in free agency.

How do you figure?

These are all pretty minor criticisms. Building a successful NHL franchise takes years, and no General Manager hits the ground running with no setbacks or misses along the way. Treliving stands in pretty good stead with his peers.

You're looking for an argument that's impossible for either side to win. Sure reduncy wins championships, when it's franchise level players. Guys like czarnik though? Please explain how he helps anyone win a championship in the NHL.

Neal not hurting the team sounds alot like guys who said Brouwer didn't hurt the team. He sure as hell didn't help us and neither has Neal.

Being first in the conference for less than 24 hrs does not absolve Treliving of any and all criticism. The flames are winning on the backs of our solid players aquired through drafting and trades. Free agency is still a massive flaw of his and it needs to improve. Mmk?

Good talk.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #2024
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The statements "Treliving has done a good job building the team" and "the weakest part of Treliving's tenure has been his UFA signings" are not mutually exclusive.

This is largely true because he has been good-to-great at trading and exceptional at signing RFAs.

I think the combination of those two skills is what made the big trade this summer a win. If you gave the two new guys Chia-esque contracts on their RFA deals that trade is a lot loss exciting.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #2025
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signing UFAs are probably every GMs biggest or easiest identifiable flaw. Because they don't work out gangbusters that often. Name Cliff Fletcher's great UFA signings. Name Yzerman's.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #2026
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stralman was a nice signing for Yzerman
Old 12-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #2027
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Signing UFAs are probably every GMs biggest or easiest identifiable flaw. Because they don't work out gangbusters that often. Name Cliff Fletcher's great UFA signings. Name Yzerman's.
Right, because UFA signings aren't the way to acquire key pieces.

Fans massively over-rate the significance of UFA signings, presumably because they can't get past the high salaries.

But the salaries are high for a reason: you're getting an otherwise FREE asset. Of course they are going to look expensive relative to other assets - because they ARE.

The disconnect is that fans make too big of a deal of that (note: yes, there are horrible contracts that can ruin the cap, but most don't). To build a good team, you need depth in all areas. And since you can't draft for position, and acquiring pieces through the draft takes time, the obvious solution is to fill the final holes with UFAs.

I will never get why fans have such a hate for them.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #2028
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Frolik is overpaid and half his goals are empty netters that anyone could get, he has a mere 0 assists. Czarnik is fairly redundant and essentially replacement lvl. I don't think Neal has helped this team much at all as he's never been a very effective player when he isn't scoring, firing the puck into the goalies chest doesn't help us win. Ryan is redundant with Jankowski. I'm not saying fire him, i'm saying he makes many more misses than hits in free agency.

Flames have lost Byron and may lose Bennett. Along with all the deals that may have been made had we not spent to the cap with guys like brouwer eating up space for 3 more seasons. Not a disaster...still a negative IMO
Who makes more hits than misses in free agency?
Old 12-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #2029
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neal not hurting the team sounds alot like guys who said Brouwer didn't hurt the team. He sure as hell didn't help us and neither has Neal..
Please quote this in 4-6 weeks when Neal goes on a mini streak while the top line cools off. I know we're not used to depth, having a couple guys who should be putting up more numbers isn't the worst thing, it tends to balance out
Old 12-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #2030
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Yeah, not bad, and he also got Boyle. He had to pay a pretty heft (at the time) contract for Stralman, though. And in the same year he signed Nabokov who managed a .882 save percentage.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:02 PM   #2031
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Stralman was also a tough giveaway for Calgary in hindsight.

Also, as an off topic item, I didn’t know that he got hitched during his short time here. Somehow missed this story

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...501/story.html
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #2032
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kipper_3434 is getting coal this Christmas
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #2033
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Much like Cliff Fletcher, treliving may have made this generation's franchise defining trade.
Sutter’s trade for Kipper would have been as well if they got the game 6 call right. It was in.

But yes. What a trade by Tre
Old 02-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #2034
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Western teams load up. Lot's of bargains to be had, and Tre sits on his hands and wastes away one of the best year the Flames have ever had. Big Fail.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #2035
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

well that didn't take long
Old 02-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #2036
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. Let's fire the GM who is in first place in the West because he didn't sell the farm for a rental.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #2037
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
Western teams load up. Lot's of bargains to be had, and Tre sits on his hands and wastes away one of the best year the Flames have ever had. Big Fail.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #2038
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire him! He only has the Flames 2nd overall in the league. Not good enough!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #2039
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

#### sake we arent doing this are we

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #2040
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
I lack the vocabulary to properly point out how much I disagree with you
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread