Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #321
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wanted to apologize to everyone. The loss is entirely my fault. I fell asleep half way through the second and Rowdy did too. In my defense, I took some sleepy pain meds because of my tooth situation, but it's no excuse. First time Rowdy and I fell asleep during a game since the big 6-4 comeback prediction, and it's a loss.. with NO points. Coincidence? I think not! I am so ashamed.. It won't happen again.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #322
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
They can certainly be an effective line without putting up gaudy point totals and I wouldn't go as far as to say Bennett is neutering Tkachuk at all. The problem is that he's unable to capitalize on anything and is seemingly a non-factor in his ability to locate Tkachuk in open ice and help create more chances.

Your 6th best forward certainly needs to offer more to the group than the occasional point in the long run and I'm not sure what the answer is outside of potentially trying to get Neal going in that spot.
It appears to me that a healthy Frolik would offer more to that line than Bennett - I’m not so sure about Neal.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #323
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
They can certainly be an effective line without putting up gaudy point totals and I wouldn't go as far as to say Bennett is neutering Tkachuk at all.

The problem is that he's unable to capitalize on anything and is seemingly a non-factor in his ability to locate Tkachuk in open ice and help create more chances. Without Backlund it seems like it's just Tkachuk out there by himself in the offensive zone right now.
Everything you posted after saying he isn't neutering him at all is describing neutering.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #324
jayswin

Exp:

He's not neutering Tkachuk he's just failing to capitalize on anything and can't locate Tkachuk in open ice or help create more chances.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #325
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
I wonder if there is actually any psychology behind this process? It annoyed all of us at home, imagine for the players on the ice.

Maybe it has some Pavlonian effect of getting into the players' heads and impacting their play!!!

Or maybe he's just an idiot. Either or.
I can't speak for Koskinen, but I know when I played growing up, I would touch both posts just to centre myself in the net before I came out to challenge the play.

It might be something different for him, but that would be my guess.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #326
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I can't speak for Koskinen, but I know when I played growing up, I would touch both posts just to centre myself in the net before I came out to challenge the play.

It might be something different for him, but that would be my guess.
I would always tap the blocker side post with the top of my stick when the play came into my zone, to centre myself as you said. Every time.

Maybe the on ice mic was just really hot last night? Or Koskinen is Hulkish?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #327
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was pretty much to script.

The Oilers had every advantage.

- No Gio
- No Backlund
- Just played 23 hours ago against the (previously) best team in the West
- On the road
- Lots of rookies playing

So Hitch clogged the place like a bad toilet and banked on McDavid and the best the Oilers could muster was a 'skin-of-their-teeth' 1-0.

The Flames just didnt have enough in the tank. C'est la vie.

When you're playing 3 games in 4 days you generally want to come away with 3 points overall to call it a success. We got 4. Sucks that we dropped one to the grease.

The Oilers can puff and pound their chests and slurp their gruel but the season plods along.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #328
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize how much I hate Hitch's system, may be the Flames just didn't play enough against his old teams. God, last night game was a snoozer.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #329
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Production is production, and I certainly don't shy away from that.

I just don't see Bennett as hurting Tkachuk as some have pointed out.

At the end of the day you need a second line to do some scoring. I'd hope they analysis of a second line is deeper than just looking at goals scored in month time frame and look into scoring chances generated vs giving up.

But you need to produce ultimately.

The stats certainly don't support the notion that Bennett is neutering Tkachuk.
Bennett is a terrible passer, more so from his general reluctance to pass. I think that hurts Tkachuk because it creates turnovers and reduces cycling opportunities.

Whoever teaches Bennett to pass more and use his will to drive the net is going to be my hockey development hero.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #330
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

There was a goalie back in the late 80's or 90's that used to hit the posts 4-6 times like the Oiler's tool, can't remember who it was though
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #331
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Patrick Roy?
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #332
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hextall was known for banging his posts too.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #333
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Everything you posted after saying he isn't neutering him at all is describing neutering.
For me, that would be a case of Bennett actually causing harm to Tkachuk's game, and I don't think that's the case. He's just not helping make him a better player like Backlund does. There's a pretty big difference between helping, hurting and just being there, of which Bennett seems to be the latter most games.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #334
jayswin

Exp:

I guess so. It's a confusing explanation on your part. To say that he's not completing the chances Tkachuk is giving him, he doesn't have the vision to create anything and in general just isn't doing anything on the line, but then hammer out semantics on how that's not neutering Tkachuk it's just not helping him, is weird.

Not finishing chances and not helping a star player do anything offensively when you've been put in a second line role is the definition of neutering to me.

When given a second line role your objective isn't "don't harm the other players on your line, just be there" that's 4th line ****. If a second line star's production falters because you can't help him and contribute that is harming the second line.

Anyways, weird semantics debate as it seems that you and I actually agree on what Bennett is failing to do, just not sure why you wouldn't call a spade a spade.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #335
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

May have been mentioned already but I notice that we’re going to be on the second half of back to back games and three in four nights next time we play the Oilers as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #336
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
May have been mentioned already but I notice that we’re going to be on the second half of back to back games and three in four nights next time we play the Oilers as well.
But with Gio and hopefully Backlund.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #337
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
1/13 vs Arizona
1/16 vs Buffalo
1/18 vs Detroit
1/19 at Edmonton

Yeah, it's pretty silly

I expect Tkachuk, Monahan and Brodie will be suspended for something against Buffalo...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #338
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The team has been on a great run and given 3 games in 4 nights and no Gio or Backlund it's no surprise they didn't play well last night. I don't see why so many fans are panicking after this game of all games. Sure it sucks to lose to the Oilers but the cards were also stacked heavily in their favor and they still only barely won because of a coin flip goal reversal. They now have a few days rest and can get back to practicing as they probably haven't had much opportunities of late to get in quality practice time.
Seriously. We took 4/6 points over 4 days! Lost by a goal to a bad team in a back-to-back without our top D and our primary shutdown C. Gio, Backs, Frolik and Stone is like 15 million watching from the press box! Top teams will lose to weak teams from time to time. Law of averages. The way this flames team has been playing I'd take those losers in a 7 game series any day. Go Flames!
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #339
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies as I'm sure this has been discussed many times, just haven't seen it.

I know Stone is out with a blood clot but what's the deal with Valimaki and Frolik?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #340
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their d seemed to be hanging back like crazy. No rush opportunities presented themselves much. Dang!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote