Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #2841
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit the movie selection is starting to get pretty poor. Crave since it's been upgraded has a superior selection of recently released movies. If it wasn't for Netflix original content I could almost make a case that Crave is an intriguing alternative. So Netflix is pretty well heading into the direction where they will sink or swim with the quality of their original content.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #2842
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to admit the movie selection is starting to get pretty poor. Crave since it's been upgraded has a superior selection of recently released movies. If it wasn't for Netflix original content I could almost make a case that Crave is an intriguing alternative. So Netflix is pretty well heading into the direction where they will sink or swim with the quality of their original content.
Yes, though to get those Crave movies you need to pay $20 per month.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #2843
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Crave still has sub-par video quality and only streams in stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #2844
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Yes, though to get those Crave movies you need to pay $20 per month.
Yeah it's only really a good deal for people that don't have cable as you can get all your HBO, other TV shows, and new release movies but for a person like me that has cable, Netflix, etc it's not great value.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #2845
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Princess Switch is a Netflix original and may just be my new favourite movie. Vanessa Hudgens is a smoke show and the movie is seriously good.
Lol, you might just be the most interesting man in the world. A dog hating, rascal riding dude who wears clip ties, has problems tucking in shirts, and loves watching teen rom coms. Awesome.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #2846
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Princess Switch is a Netflix original and may just be my new favourite movie. Vanessa Hudgens is a smoke show and the movie is seriously good.
Based on the trailer, I strongly suggest you get the Hallmark channel.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #2847
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Also, Crave still has sub-par video quality and only streams in stereo.

Sub-par in what respect? Are there actually shows in standard-def, or is it just streaming poorly? I am not an audiophile, so as long as stuff sounds clear through regular TV speakers, I am okay with that. Poor video quality though would be tough to get over.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #2848
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Sub-par in what respect? Are there actually shows in standard-def, or is it just streaming poorly? I am not an audiophile, so as long as stuff sounds clear through regular TV speakers, I am okay with that. Poor video quality though would be tough to get over.
Amazon Prime has a similar issue on their non-UHD content, but it's worse on Crave.

Effectively, lots of artifacting is typically present on Crave, which means either their compression method is bad, or their allowable top stream speed is poor, possibly both.

Artifacting on Prime for example is usually most noticeable on strong light gradients, eg a dark scene with a single directional light shining against a wall. On Crave, these often occur in the same instances, but are more noisy, the video "recompiles" or "collects" itself slower, and it happens in lighter/fast shots.

Crave also looks terrible for color on color streams, eg. pan shots over an ocean, or of the sky, where you will notice a cloud or wave get "stuck" in the frame as the rest of the frame compiles around it. This again is likely because of a poor compression model.

Effectively, it's still "HD" (1920x1080 24 frame/60 hz), but the compression is poor. Netflix's compression logarithm is still king, though Prime's 4K/HDR 10 gives Netflix's 4K/DolbyVision a run for it's money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 12-10-2018 at 11:00 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #2849
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited for the final season of Voltron coming out this Friday. I know what I'm binge watching this weekend.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #2850
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol weren’t you just making fun of Marvel fans and superhero movies a couple months back? And some twin swap movie for pre-teen girls is your ‘new favourite movie’? Come on man, this bit is stretching it, even for you.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #2851
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Sounds like a bunch of posters that haven't seen the movie. May I suggest you sit down and watch Princess Switch before you trash it. It's amazing.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #2852
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

IDK, if you haven't seen it you shouldn't really make fun.

I love that genre for some reason. Whatever you'd call a switching-places style movie. 17 Again, 13 Going On 30, and I'd even kind of put Big in there. The concept is great, and put in a super hot actress like V.H. and you can't go wrong. I've seen Princess Switch four or five times already and I think it just came out last month.

With the superhero movies - I'm not really on an island being tired of them. If you like comic books, this is the golden age of cinema, I guess. I've read every Archie from 1980 - 1999, but was never into superhero comic books so I'm super sick of every second movie being a superhero movie.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #2853
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole Streaming problem fundamentally comes down to the mistaken belief that Cable prices would be cheaper if you could just pick what you wanted to watch.

It was never going to work that way. It’s just taken some time for it to get there.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #2854
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
IDK, if you haven't seen it you shouldn't really make fun.

I love that genre for some reason. Whatever you'd call a switching-places style movie. 17 Again, 13 Going On 30, and I'd even kind of put Big in there. The concept is great, and put in a super hot actress like V.H. and you can't go wrong. I've seen Princess Switch four or five times already and I think it just came out last month.

With the superhero movies - I'm not really on an island being tired of them. If you like comic books, this is the golden age of cinema, I guess. I've read every Archie from 1980 - 1999, but was never into superhero comic books so I'm super sick of every second movie being a superhero movie.

I saw this movie, I watched it with my sister and her 13 year old kid. They loved it, I thought it was average at best, but I admit that it really isn't my kind of movie. I don't see why two grown men are raving about it though.

I would give it a 4.5/10
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #2855
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The whole Streaming problem fundamentally comes down to the mistaken belief that Cable prices would be cheaper if you could just pick what you wanted to watch.

It was never going to work that way. It’s just taken some time for it to get there.
100%, everyone laughed at cable companies no longer gouging you on entertainment, but it was only a correction in how we pay that was coming not how much. Streaming services did everything they could to look like the good guys who would charge pennies for great service but that was just establishing market in a new industry.

If you watch TV, sports and movies you'll be up there in a few years again. The only people who will save significant money are A) Those who don't watch sports and B) Those willing to watch illegally

I think it was those willing to watch illegally for free that really pushed the narrative that things would be cheaper the hardest.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM   #2856
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

A cable bill is easy to point as horrendous because you have TV/movies/sports/internet on one bill and people say "OMG, $160 a month!! Have fun dying you dinosaurs!!!"

Meanwhile, good shows and movies are starting to stretch across many different streaming services, you still have to pay for services for EACH sport you follow, and you still have an internet bill coming in (most people anyways).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #2857
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
B) Those willing to watch illegally

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Meanwhile, good shows and movies are starting to stretch across many different streaming services, you still have to pay for services for EACH sport you follow, and you still have an internet bill coming in (most people anyways).

And the streaming services are ridiculous if they think that this latter comment isn't going to feed right into the former.

I am not dropping Netflix. I may, MAY, add a second service but I am not going beyond that. What I am hoping happens is Disney's push falls flat and other companies contemplating similar moves opt to just stick to producing content for other services. May as well make some money as opposed to just having all your content put up on torrent sites for free. If Netflix at its height proved anything, it's that people won't pirate if there is an affordable choice with good viewing options.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #2858
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yo, FYI Princess Switch gets 89% on Rotten Tomatoes FWIW.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #2859
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yo, FYI Princess Switch gets 89% on Rotten Tomatoes FWIW.
Based on 9 reviews and an audience score of 53%.

While we're talking ratings, IMDB rates it 6/10 on 7,700 votes.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #2860
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So....tween girls are the only ones who have the free time to rate movies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote