Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 AM   #1021
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

"I have to go now. My planet needs me."
Note: Lumen died on the way back to her home planet.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #1022
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems like Dexter is in the exact same position at the end of this season as he was at the end of last season, though. The kids are older. But otherwise it seems that the net effect on him, on the show's universe, etc. is virtually zero. Anyone else feel this way?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #1023
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Seems like Dexter is in the exact same position at the end of this season as he was at the end of last season, though. The kids are older. But otherwise it seems that the net effect on him, on the show's universe, etc. is virtually zero. Anyone else feel this way?
No.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #1024
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I am very excited for a clean slate next year. With absolutely nothing holding him back Dex can really go pretty much any direction.

Should be very exciting.

Except the creative team is either a) too scared; or b) too lazy to "go anywhere".

The show is as formulaic as any procedural except instead of self contained episodes they are season long arcs.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but it's frustrating because it's a good show that could be great.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #1025
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I think Dexter has actually changed a lot since last season. He learned that he is not alone and is certainly a less angry and jaded individual. With Lumen he connected on a level that he never could with Rita and I think that had a profound effect on him. He seemed to really mean it when he said "Don't go" to Lumen while he struggled with feeling any real sadness when Rita died.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #1026
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Thank god Lumen is gone. Worst Dexter character ever.

2) I was a little disappointed that Deb didn't poke behind the curtain....it would've provided a really great springboard for next season. Letting them go was a bit of a lazy way out for the writers.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #1027
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

2) I was a little disappointed that Deb didn't poke behind the curtain....it would've provided a really great springboard for next season. Letting them go was a bit of a lazy way out for the writers.
A bit lazy? The plastic sheet was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and insanely lazy of the writers.

The show writes itself into interesting places and then uses 2 second "outs", it drives me nuts.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #1028
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
A bit lazy? The plastic sheet was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen and insanely lazy of the writers.

The show writes itself into interesting places and then uses 2 second "outs", it drives me nuts.
Except that Dexter has been using plastic sheets like that since the first episode. It is not ridiculous that it would be there.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #1029
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
It's true, it's sort of gotten to the point where I don't even really worry about Dexter getting caught anymore....no matter what situation he is in, you'll know he'll put out some McGyver moment and engineer a scott-free escape out of thin air.

That's why I was hoping Deb would see who they are... it would've created a whole new dynamic to explore. Plus it wouldn't have exposed Dex's past entirely to her, so there was still a lot of room to work with.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #1030
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was so-so

Maybe because I read the interview where a showtime exec said it would be an even more shocking end than last year it got my hopes up, I kept waiting for something to happen that didn't

They are definitely setting up Deb to accept what Dexter is pretty soon though, I would be surprised if it didn't happen next season
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #1031
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I think Dexter has actually changed a lot since last season. He learned that he is not alone and is certainly a less angry and jaded individual. With Lumen he connected on a level that he never could with Rita and I think that had a profound effect on him. He seemed to really mean it when he said "Don't go" to Lumen while he struggled with feeling any real sadness when Rita died.
and also that he has the chance to be rid of the dark passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

+1
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #1032
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

From how long these cable shows run for I would imagine next season is the last.

Not impressed that Aster and Cody are staying with Dexter for the summer. I was happy when they left.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #1033
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I am very excited for a clean slate next year. With absolutely nothing holding him back Dex can really go pretty much any direction.

Should be very exciting.
Nothing holding him back? What about having the kids coming to live with him?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #1034
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Except that Dexter has been using plastic sheets like that since the first episode. It is not ridiculous that it would be there.

I didn't mean the plastic sheet being there was ridiculous, I meant that the reason Deb didn't see them because of the plastic sheet is ridiculous.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #1035
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
From how long these cable shows run for I would imagine next season is the last.

Not impressed that Aster and Cody are staying with Dexter for the summer. I was happy when they left.
This is Showtime's biggest hit by far, and there is no reason to end it.

As I've stated several times, the creative team behind the show is interested in prolonging the series as long as possible as evidenced by the fact they give themselves easy outs all the time and really refuse to do anything to rock the boat. The most interesting thing they did was kill off Rita (made sense, she served her purpose) but any fallout from that was basically dealt within the first few episodes and only revisited sporadically as the season went on.

Dexter doesn't seem like a show that is worried about legacy or the quality of the show diminishing, as long as it remains popular it will probably remain on the air. THe only thing preventing that would be Michael C. Hall wanting to move on.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #1036
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Nothing holding him back? What about having the kids coming to live with him?
Sounds like they are only there "for the summer"....so they will probably be conveniently gone by the time the story line for next season rolls around.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #1037
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me down as another one who hoped Deb would of looked behind the curtain. It seems to me that is the way the series will progress anyway, not much else they can do if the show is ending soon. I guess they want her to find out because of her own "intuition", and not luck; but her not looking behind the screen was quite frustrating.

Then there is how Quinn got off the murder charge in a matter of minutes.

First off, if Quinn was a suspect they would never let his girlfriend work the scene of the crime, and probably not even his own department. Also, they would never let a co-worker, and brother of his girlfriend work the blood evidence.

Even if the blood does not incriminate him, what about all the other evidence that linked him towards the murder?

-The camera equipment Liddy was using, that had Quinn's prints all over them, and were signed out in his name.

-Lack of alibi; he was there for the murder anyway.

-Phone messages; he may of deleted his own messages, but I am sure they could be recovered. Why would an innocent man delete messages from the victim?

-Quinn's attitude at the time. Maybe they didn't notice, but you could tell Quinn knew what was up at the time, and looked guilty.

-Motive? If they looked at bank records, I am sure they could of noted that Quinn was paying off Liddy for some reason. Possibly due to extortion, or something along those lines.

Maybe it's not the best circumstantial evidence, but there is no way he could slip that charge in one night.

Obviously, they were trying to wrap everything up for next season, but they could of done a much better job. The writers wanted to end the Quinn storyline, so now I bet he will not suspect Dexter at all next season. Why else have Liddy play out the way it did, if it wasn't to resolve Quinn's suspicion? Lazy writing, no question about it. Still a good season, but not as good as last.

Oh, and this one is for Cecil.

Bart: Oh. Well, I guess that explains everything.
Homer: Not everything. There's still the little matter of the
whereabouts of your wife.
Maude: Um, I'm right here.
Homer: [sarcastic] Oh, I see. Then everything is wrapped up in a neat
little package.
[everyone looks at him]
Really, I mean that. Sorry if it sounded sarcastic.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #1038
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Then there is how Quinn got off the murder charge in a matter of minutes.

First off, if Quinn was a suspect they would never let his girlfriend work the scene of the crime, and probably not even his own department. Also, they would never let a co-worker, and brother of his girlfriend work the blood evidence.

Even if the blood does not incriminate him, what about all the other evidence that linked him towards the murder?

-The camera equipment Liddy was using, that had Quinn's prints all over them, and were signed out in his name.

-Lack of alibi; he was there for the murder anyway.

-Phone messages; he may of deleted his own messages, but I am sure they could be recovered. Why would an innocent man delete messages from the victim?

-Quinn's attitude at the time. Maybe they didn't notice, but you could tell Quinn knew what was up at the time, and looked guilty.

-Motive? If they looked at bank records, I am sure they could of noted that Quinn was paying off Liddy for some reason. Possibly due to extortion, or something along those lines.

Maybe it's not the best circumstantial evidence, but there is no way he could slip that charge in one night.
While having his own department investigate the crime that he's suspected of doesn't sound plausible, the rest doesn't sound like grounds to charge someone.

When did Quinn's prints get on the camera equipment? As for Quinn checking out the equipment, it would be fairly easy to find out that Liddy forged his signature for that.

Lack of alibi doesn't mean anything.

Lots of people delete their messages after they hear them. Especially if they aren't important. No big deal there.

His attitude doesn't mean much. Certainly not grounds to convict based upon the fact that they look guilty.

I believe Quinn paid him in cash so there would be no paper trail there.

Aside from the blood, there was nothing directly tying him to the murder. Once the blood was proven to not be Liddy's, there was no grounds to hold him.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #1039
kaotik
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was pretty disappointed with the season finale... Maybe it's because the previous season was so good so it was a let down in comparison... I just thought there were so many better ways the season could have ended...
kaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #1040
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am pretty sure they mentioned that the only prints they found on the equipment were Quinn's and Liddy's. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Laguerta said that to Deb.

Not saying that it's enough evidence to convict, or maybe even charge Quinn, but no way would they let him go so easily. That, and what about the way he acted when he was interrogated? The only person he told that he didn't kill Liddy was Deb. If he was 100% innocent why didn't he scream to the heavens that he was?

I just don't see him getting off that easily.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote