Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #1281
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
One of the ring leaders of having non-Ontario freelancers cut is someone who shouldn't have a job with the league's broadcaster and was recently outed for posting inappropriate things on social media over the years.
Kurt Larson? I worked with him a bit for our supporters event the night before the second leg of the 2019 final. I think OneSoccer just wanted to latch onto our event since we had all the people who wanted to attend. Wasn't a fan of him, although I preferred my interactions with him over my brief interaction with Gareth Wheeler.

I'm not surprised at how quiet OneSoccer has been since he was outed. Just the usual sweeping of things under the rug as has become custom with entities in this country.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:19 PM   #1282
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case anyone is interested. First pub night in the inner city in 2+ years...

https://twitter.com/CPLCavalryFC/sta...47181043015682

Old 12-06-2021, 09:24 PM   #1283
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
It's not a big secret, to be honest.

At the end of the first season, I voiced there appeared to be a bias, and as I was leaving the building after the second leg of the final, I was chatting with a few of the Cavalry players who echoed the sentiment. One of the higher-ups overheard. I was never called back to cover the team.

While the league says it was for pandemic reasons, all of the freelance spots were cut, the only reporters they have are based out of Ontario, and I, along with the others who were part of the team for the first season, was taken off the league and team media lists.

One of the ring leaders of having non-Ontario freelancers cut is someone who shouldn't have a job with the league's broadcaster and was recently outed for posting inappropriate things on social media over the years.

That's why it's crucial to bring the Hamilton/Ontario bias to light. The league and the broadcaster need to be held accountable for the product they are providing.
Well, that bias was there virtually from day one. Remember how the league conspired to give Forge a later entry into the Cup that year? Some BS about how they were registered first, so they got that advantage? It was really amazing.

It didn’t stop there though. It wasn’t until after Cavalry was mowing through everyone that they came out with the spring/fall cups. And of course, even with Cavalry winning those seasons, the league trots out the playoff and somehow Forge gets the “forever first” campaign out of it. I mean sure, the first cup was the spring and we won that. The second cup was the fall and we also won that. So I guess it only makes sense that the microwave dish is somehow the first trophy? It’s just bush league.

And that doesn’t even get into the obvious bias when it came to the racism allegations, the red card fiasco in those finals, or dare I say the overall officiating which was definitely pro-Forge in my also biased opinion. Sometimes, I do wonder why I give money to such a biased and unsportsmanlike organization. But the truth is, I want it to succeed so badly! So, I’ll complain about these things, but at the end of the day drop it all and go enjoy the games at ATCO and lose my voice doing it!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 07:08 AM   #1284
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It didn’t stop there though. It wasn’t until after Cavalry was mowing through everyone that they came out with the spring/fall cups.
Okay this part simply isn't true. The spring / fall format was announced months in advance.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cana...all-campaigns/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #1285
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Okay this part simply isn't true. The spring / fall format was announced months in advance.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cana...all-campaigns/
Ok, I stand corrected. But whatever, they were never forever first, in any sense of the words.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #1286
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am salty that the Cavalry have nothing to show for dominating the first season. That said, I like play offs, and playoff games, and looking back I am more upset that the Cavalry flubbed the playoff matches than an conspiracy against the team.

The Cavs will always be the first Cpl team to beat an MLS team and I think that put the CPL on the map in terms of international respect ( re concacaf atleast).

In the end I suppose that that first year solidified the them as a team that the city wanted to support. So winning has its own cultural significance even if there is no hardware to support it.

Re: moral victories, I think that anyone with a pulse would agree that Pacific and Cavalry and Halifax have the most distinct game day experience, which will bring out the best in players and fans.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #1287
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am salty that the Cavalry have nothing to show for dominating the first season. That said, I like play offs, and playoff games, and looking back I am more upset that the Cavalry flubbed the playoff matches than an conspiracy against the team.

The Cavs will always be the first Cpl team to beat an MLS team and I think that put the CPL on the map in terms of international respect ( re concacaf atleast).

In the end I suppose that that first year solidified the them as a team that the city wanted to support. So winning has its own cultural significance even if there is no hardware to support it.

Re: moral victories, I think that anyone with a pulse would agree that Pacific and Cavalry and Halifax have the most distinct game day experience, which will bring out the best in players and fans.
I do agree with all of this. Honestly though...there should be hardware for those two cups we won in the first season. Like how do you have a cup and then not actually award said cup?
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 12:40 AM   #1288
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm really choked they haven't found a path to the CONCACAF tournaments yet. That would be a lot of fun to follow.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:17 AM   #1289
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I do agree with all of this. Honestly though...there should be hardware for those two cups we won in the first season. Like how do you have a cup and then not actually award said cup?
I also feel like Cavalry should have been recognized as the 2019 spring and fall season champions (these were not cup competitions, though). But I don't think the league went back on a promise there. It was clear that the only championship and trophy was going to be for the two-legged final. Theoretically, I did't have a problem with the league format in 2019. I get why the league wanted a playoff final. However, the worst case scenario for the league happened when Cavalry won both the spring and fall seasons. Now the league had to revert to Cavalry playing the team with the next best overall record over the season (Forge). There was nothing sinister about the format; it was announced long in advance of the season. But, it did kind of diminish the final a bit for me. But I don't put an asterisk on Forge's 2019 championship for that reason. Smyrniotis was clear that once it was clear that it was going to be Cavalry vs Forge in the final, he could care less about winning the fall season. This year, Forge finished first in a 28 game league season and they have nothing to show for that. That's just how the cookie crumbles in a league with playoffs. Borges' rescinded red card in the 2019 final was much more of an issue for the credibility of the league, IMO.

One issue I do have from the 2019 season is the way the CONCACAF League spot was awarded. That was totally mickey mouse. But I don't see any evidence of Forge benefiting from special treatment from the league in the 2020 or 2021 seasons. Hate him or not, I think Smyrniotis has built the deepest roster in the league. But his team isn't head and shoulders above everyone else. I don't think there was much of a difference between Forge, Cavalry and Pacific when it comes to each team's best 11. It's gonna be real interesting to me to see how many players each of club is able to bring back next season. With the loss of Farsi and Yao, we might have a little more work to do than the others.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2021, 09:05 AM   #1290
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditty View Post
I also feel like Cavalry should have been recognized as the 2019 spring and fall season champions (these were not cup competitions, though). But I don't think the league went back on a promise there. It was clear that the only championship and trophy was going to be for the two-legged final. Theoretically, I did't have a problem with the league format in 2019. I get why the league wanted a playoff final. However, the worst case scenario for the league happened when Cavalry won both the spring and fall seasons. Now the league had to revert to Cavalry playing the team with the next best overall record over the season (Forge). There was nothing sinister about the format; it was announced long in advance of the season. But, it did kind of diminish the final a bit for me. But I don't put an asterisk on Forge's 2019 championship for that reason. Smyrniotis was clear that once it was clear that it was going to be Cavalry vs Forge in the final, he could care less about winning the fall season. This year, Forge finished first in a 28 game league season and they have nothing to show for that. That's just how the cookie crumbles in a league with playoffs. Borges' rescinded red card in the 2019 final was much more of an issue for the credibility of the league, IMO.

One issue I do have from the 2019 season is the way the CONCACAF League spot was awarded. That was totally mickey mouse. But I don't see any evidence of Forge benefiting from special treatment from the league in the 2020 or 2021 seasons. Hate him or not, I think Smyrniotis has built the deepest roster in the league. But his team isn't head and shoulders above everyone else. I don't think there was much of a difference between Forge, Cavalry and Pacific when it comes to each team's best 11. It's gonna be real interesting to me to see how many players each of club is able to bring back next season. With the loss of Farsi and Yao, we might have a little more work to do than the others.
That's probably all sensible, but a couple things. First and foremost, my sheer dislike of Forge makes me automatically impervious to this train of thought!

Second though, and more serious, is that we all knew what was coming in 2019. I'm sure that if you look back to that thread everyone knew that the league was going to find a way to make sure that Forge got an advantageous shot at the glory. Sure, we were clearly the best team in the league, we won the two season titles, we beat the Whitecaps and made history doing so, but Hamilton was the golden child. The bias has been there since day one, and I still think that was a deciding factor.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:03 PM   #1291
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
That's probably all sensible, but a couple things. First and foremost, my sheer dislike of Forge makes me automatically impervious to this train of thought!

Second though, and more serious, is that we all knew what was coming in 2019. I'm sure that if you look back to that thread everyone knew that the league was going to find a way to make sure that Forge got an advantageous shot at the glory. Sure, we were clearly the best team in the league, we won the two season titles, we beat the Whitecaps and made history doing so, but Hamilton was the golden child. The bias has been there since day one, and I still think that was a deciding factor.
I agree that Bob Young has a "special" relationship with the league and that's why some of the shenanigans of 2019 happened. And this "special" relationship has created problems for the league's credibility. I left out possibly the most egregious event of 2019; the racism accusations against the Forge staff member that the CSA (deliberately?) fumbled for so long. I can't help but think that this would have been dealt with differently if the accused was employed by a different club. I agree that there are many reasons to despise Forge. Nonetheless, I'm still glad they've been successful in the CONCACAF League because I think it will help make the CPL more attractive to Central American and Caribbean players. I think the CPL is at a similar or even higher level than leagues like Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Jamaica. And I think living in Canada and the quality of our facilities make it an attractive destination. Not sure about salaries, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to ditty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 12:01 AM   #1292
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suck it Bob Young. 0 for last 2 weekends for home game championships.

You can make your lap dog Wheeler throw out his “Titletown Canada” or similar, text, which I am sure he was embarrassingly planning to use at the WCQ and/or next Forge game in the spring.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #1293
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like general season ticket sales are up. Looks like there are a lot of seats remaining in the 200s.

It will be interesting to see what the baseline for attendance will be for next summer, all things being equal.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #1294
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like general season ticket sales are up. Looks like there are a lot of seats remaining in the 200s.

It will be interesting to see what the baseline for attendance will be for next summer, all things being equal.
I've split season a pair of season tickets the past two seasons with another CPer who isn't renewing. If anyone is interested in sharing a pair of season tickets (you buy one season ticket, I buy the other and we then split the games) send me a PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #1295
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am planning on asking about this at tomorrow's supporters pub night. I know a bunch of supporters moved more centrally to 201 since that's now officially a supporters section as well.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #1296
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I am planning on asking about this at tomorrow's supporters pub night. I know a bunch of supporters moved more centrally to 201 since that's now officially a supporters section as well.
wait does that mean I can bring a flag?
Old 12-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #1297
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I sat in my 200 seats once this entire season. I stood along the guardrail or wherever there was room. In fact, I don't even know what row / seat I have lol.

Agreed, we need more flags.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 04:01 PM   #1298
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see that whole section as safe standing. Put in the rails and maybe some drink holders.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #1299
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I know Cavalry sees the whole South end as a supporters area, just with different groups doing different things in different areas. Officially 200 and 201 are advertised though.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #1300
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

Agreed, we need more flags.
I think we need more rolls of quarters, errant ball boys, bags of piss, toilet paper rolls, road flares, and smoke bombs.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good