Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #1121
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forge just knocked off Santos from Costa Rica to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League next year. So at least there will be someone else from CPL in CONCACAF League next year.

They also now have the first leg of the CONCACAF League Semifinals between the CPL semifinals and finals. So there's that.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #1122
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turns out Forge would qualify for both Champions League and CONCACAF League if they win CPL this year. Olimpia played in both this year. So it's just all Forge all the time with this league I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 01:43 PM   #1123
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Turns out Forge would qualify for both Champions League and CONCACAF League if they win CPL this year. Olimpia played in both this year. So it's just all Forge all the time with this league I guess.
Is the league responsible for allocating spots, or CONCACAF?

Either way, UEFA wouldn't have the same team playing in the Champions League and the Europe League. Very strange.

That'll be a pretty congested schedule though, and I'm not sure that it will necessarily be a good thing for them. All of this can be avoided if the golden child, forever first, and all that BS just don't win the league. Here's hoping.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 11-03-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #1124
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

Either way, UEFA wouldn't have the same team playing in the Champions League and the Europe League. Very strange.

That'll be a pretty congested schedule though, and I'm not sure that it will necessarily be a good thing for them. All of this can be avoided if the golden child, forever first, and all that BS just don't win the league. Here's hoping.
Honestly, the “forever first” is just wrong. We were the first winners, and the second winners. They won a microwave dish at the end of the season, but we all know the truth.

(And they really didn’t even win that fairly after the red card debacle, and other usual league/forgery antics)
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #1125
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

CONCACAF is responsible for allocating spots.
- The winner of the CPL Championship gets a spot in the following year's CONCACAF League.
- The winner of the Canadian Championship gets a spot in the following year's CONCACAF Champions League.
- The top 6 teams in the CONCACAF League get a spot in the following year's CONCACAF Champions League.

Strange, but it's not like Forge are the precedent here. Either way, CONCACAF League goes away after next year.

As for the congested schedule talk, it may seem like a bad thing, but right now their schedule is more congested than every other CPL club, and they seem to keep churning out results. Compare that to Cavalry who fall apart against a club they've never lost to with 9 days rest.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #1126
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Honestly, the “forever first” is just wrong. We were the first winners, and the second winners. They won a microwave dish at the end of the season, but we all know the truth.

(And they really didn’t even win that fairly after the red card debacle, and other usual league/forgery antics)
No, the "Forever First" is completely right, no matter how Tommy Wheeldon or anyone else that follows this club wants to spin it. Cavalry didn't win the games that determined the champion. Period. It doesn't matter that the rest of the world determines their champion a different way.

Getting a little tired of hearing "but we finished first every time". That doesn't matter any more. At this point, if Cavalry wants to be recognized as a champion, they need to just win the damn games that dictate who is champion.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #1127
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
No, the "Forever First" is completely right, no matter how Tommy Wheeldon or anyone else that follows this club wants to spin it. Cavalry didn't win the games that determined the champion. Period. It doesn't matter that the rest of the world determines their champion a different way.

Getting a little tired of hearing "but we finished first every time". That doesn't matter any more. At this point, if Cavalry wants to be recognized as a champion, they need to just win the damn games that dictate who is champion.
Uh no. We won the spring cup (or whatever name they gave it that year), which meant we were one team in the final. We also won the fall cup, which meant we were the other team in the final. Obviously, those two wins (which were entirely legitimate, and there's no semantics here) came before the microwave plate. So no, they were not first!

And furthermore, there was no need for a final. If anything that should've been a split squad final between Cavalry. People suggesting that those two games override the other two trophies that came before it are just plain wrong.

This has nothing to do with how the rest of the world decides who wins. These were the rules setout from day one. We won that spring, and we all knew the league would try to figure out a way to make that count less. Well, they've tried...but we all know we won first.

And lastly...FTF.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #1128
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not cavalry related, but Pacific is really giving TFC a run for their money. We've got a tough matchup on Sunday. Cant wait to be there for that one!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #1129
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Not cavalry related, but Pacific is really giving TFC a run for their money. We've got a tough matchup on Sunday. Cant wait to be there for that one!
Glad you posted this! I still had the game in as Saturday on my Calendar.
fleuryisgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:10 AM   #1130
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Uh no. We won the spring cup (or whatever name they gave it that year), which meant we were one team in the final. We also won the fall cup, which meant we were the other team in the final. Obviously, those two wins (which were entirely legitimate, and there's no semantics here) came before the microwave plate. So no, they were not first!

And furthermore, there was no need for a final. If anything that should've been a split squad final between Cavalry. People suggesting that those two games override the other two trophies that came before it are just plain wrong.

This has nothing to do with how the rest of the world decides who wins. These were the rules setout from day one. We won that spring, and we all knew the league would try to figure out a way to make that count less. Well, they've tried...but we all know we won first.

And lastly...FTF.
And they're racists
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #1131
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Glad you posted this! I still had the game in as Saturday on my Calendar.
Yeah, I hope the stale calendar entry doesn't hurt attendance. That screwed up myself and several others I know too.

Pacific should be tired. Bustos is out. If a well rested, largely healthy Cavalry can't take them at home under these conditions, the post-season will be short.

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 11-04-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #1132
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just win baby.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #1133
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trafford is back for Sunday. Ledgerwood will be back for the 16th.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-...injury-updates

Old 11-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #1134
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Trafford plays next year again, do we start calling him Old Trafford?

I'll see myself out
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:34 PM   #1135
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Yeah, I hope the stale calendar entry doesn't hurt attendance. That screwed up myself and several others I know too.

Pacific should be tired. Bustos is out. If a well rested, largely healthy Cavalry can't take them at home under these conditions, the post-season will be short.
LOTS of tickets left on Ticketmaster. Would be really nice to see a strong crowd for this one but with the colder weather it's a tough sell for families.

I have to say I'm still amazed at how few people even know Cavalry exist. I think it hurts that the only place to see the games other than going to them is through OneSoccer. CPL coverage in general just isn't that great yet.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #1136
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
LOTS of tickets left on Ticketmaster. Would be really nice to see a strong crowd for this one but with the colder weather it's a tough sell for families.

I have to say I'm still amazed at how few people even know Cavalry exist. I think it hurts that the only place to see the games other than going to them is through OneSoccer. CPL coverage in general just isn't that great yet.
It would go such a long way if they just showed highlights, standings etc on sportscenter/sportsnet central, then more sports fans would become casually aware of it. But of course Bell and Rogers dont want to promote a fledgling property they dont own so the only time those outlets acknowledge the CPL's existence is when they play MLS teams in the Canadian Championship.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #1137
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

The fact they are on Telus now should help a bit, but low likelihood of people stumbling on the games vs. when they are on a major network.

I think it's a travesty that CBC didn't pick up games this year, this is the sort of stuff CBC should exist for.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #1138
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Local coverage isn't great, but they still get regular coverage on Sportsnet 960, in the papers and on local sports news. That doesn't really get the eyes / ears like it used to though.

It's a tough year for attendance league wide. Pacific and Cavalry are the closest to their 2019 numbers, but they're still down. Cavalry actually outdrew Forge last weekend, which is nuts. Even the Canadian MLS sides are drawing terribly right now. Doesn't help that there was no opportunity to market given that no one knew what the season would look like, and that season should really be over right now. Hopefully with a good 4 months where Cavalry can actually market it will help. I know myself and a bunch of supporters have brought new people to games this year and they've loved it.

Gotta be a little patient in building the fanbase too. Keep in mind that professional soccer has never caught on, and just by going into season 4 Cavalry are the longest running professional soccer club in this city's history. It's a tough sell to the traditional Calgary sports crowd that still thinks soccer is a sport for pussies.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #1139
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Klomp and Trafford back in. Di Chiara on the bench. Excellent....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1457430653826445314

Old 11-07-2021, 12:58 PM   #1140
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where’s Luca? Is he injured?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good