Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #3101
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Detroit scribes really flogging Howard to Calgary via spectors hockey.

And, of course, there’s Howard, who is still a No. 1-caliber NHL goalie. But it’s a tight market for starting goalies – not many teams are looking for goaltending. Calgary, Buffalo and Toronto might be candidates for Howard.

The trade route may be more viable. The Calgary Flames need help in goal, and goaltender Jimmy Howard increased his trade value with a late-season surge and solid playoffs. Maybe a package deal could get the Wings Mark Giordano or Dougie Hamilton

Another writer proposes wideman for Howard. Most plausible of the bunch. Debatable that Howard is still a number one but he's an upgrade on what we have. And they are not getting gio or Hamilton for Howard, st James must be drinking flint water.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #3102
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post

And, of course, there’s Howard, who is still a No. 1-caliber NHL goalie. But it’s a tight market for starting goalies – not many teams are looking for goaltending. Calgary, Buffalo and Toronto might be candidates for Howard.

The trade route may be more viable. The Calgary Flames need help in goal, and goaltender Jimmy Howard increased his trade value with a late-season surge and solid playoffs. Maybe a package deal could get the Wings Mark Giordano or Dougie Hamilton

Another writer proposes wideman for Howard. Most plausible of the bunch. Debatable that Howard is still a number one but he's an upgrade on what we have. And they are not getting gio or Hamilton for Howard, st James must be drinking flint water.
Yeah, no.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #3103
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is their new arena part of the package?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #3104
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha Ha Ha Ha. The only way the Flames take on Howard if the Wings throw in Matha and the Flames send Wideman their way. Still I'm not sure if Mantha is worth taking the remainder of Howard's contract. In fact I would be underwhelmed period as I would rather go with a younger guy putting up better numbers in Reimer.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #3105
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha Ha Ha Ha. The only way the Flames take on Howard if the Wings throw in Matha and the Flames send Wideman their way. Still I'm not sure if Mantha is worth taking the remainder of Howard's contract. In fact I would be underwhelmed period as I would rather go with a younger guy putting up better numbers in Reimer.

Howard and Mantha for Gio/Dougie and Wideman?

I will personally lead the mob to lynch Treliving. If either of those two are shipped out we better be getting Larkin in return.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #3106
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Howard and Mantha for Gio/Dougie and Wideman?

I will personally lead the mob to lynch Treliving. If either of those two are shipped out we better be getting Larkin in return.
No. Only Wideman. I don't know if there's any player on the Wings roster I would take over Gio or Hamilton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #3107
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Wings are in a pickle, especially if Datsyuk leaves them with no Datsyuk and a $7.5 million cap hit. Howard makes $5.3 against the cap and Mrazek is an RFA who should easily rake in north of $4 million per year IMO.

Will be tough to spend $9 million on goalies when you are up against the cap already and then have to eat Datsyuk's $7.5 million as well. They certainly aren't in a strong bargaining position.

Also, talk of Hamilton or Gio in any package for Howard is obviously complete lunacy.

I would love it if BT could somehow steal Mrazek out of this, and have the Wings stick with Howard for the time being while they continue to develop Coreau who has been really solid in the AHL for a couple years now. Of course that would be very "Mike Gillis" of Holland, which is obviously very unlikely.

Taking on Howard is a total gamble though as he's been trending down for a few years now. 3 more years, and if he falls on his face then it's the Flames who would be in big trouble.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-24-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #3108
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The Wings are in a pickle, especially if Datsyuk leaves them with no Datsyuk and a $7.5 million cap hit. Howard makes $5.3 against the cap and Mrazek is an RFA who should easily rake in north of $4 million per year IMO.
I guess I've been living on the moon but is that what happens? How is he allowed to just leave if the wings still have is contract against the cap?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #3109
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I guess I've been living on the moon but is that what happens? How is he allowed to just leave if the wings still have is contract against the cap?
IIRC Its because it's a 35+ contract
Old 04-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #3110
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Part of the new CBA to prevent teams from signing over 35 year old players to long contracts they know they won't play to the end of to prevent lowering the cap hit by having low paying years on the back end deals that won't ever occur.

So if you sign a player over 35 it's buyer beware and you need to be certain the player will play out their full contract or you are on the hook even if they retire.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #3111
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Part of the new CBA to prevent teams from signing over 35 year old players to long contracts they know they won't play to the end of to prevent lowering the cap hit by having low paying years on the back end deals that won't ever occur.

So if you sign a player over 35 it's buyer beware and you need to be certain the player will play out their full contract or you are on the hook even if they retire.
Ya I think I knew that but just assumed he would be going to play hockey in Russia as well. I guess either way he would be retiring from the NHL. It's just strange all around that he would walk away from 7.5M.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 AM   #3112
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

^It's not about the money at this point in his career, plus he's make some of that back on his KHL contact.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:54 AM   #3113
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
IIRC Its because it's a 35+ contract
It's not real money though. Some bottom cap team will upgrade a pick and take on his contract for a year, shouldn't be a big deal for Detroit.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 AM   #3114
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
It's not real money though. Some bottom cap team will upgrade a pick and take on his contract for a year, shouldn't be a big deal for Detroit.
Unless of course he files retirement papers first. If he doesn't file papers and gets suspended without pay he will be ineligible to play in the KHL.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:35 AM   #3115
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud
Radulov, reportedly, may choose to skip the #IIHFWorlds in Moscow, fueling speculation of an imminent NHL comeback.

Important to understand that, for non-NHL Russians refusing a Worlds invite is taboo. Radulov's decision, if it's what it is, burns bridges.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #3116
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
1) As @IgorEronko reported this morning, Alexander Radulov did not join Russia's team for the opening of its Worlds camp. He is expected..

2) to join them later in the week. Radulov is apparently in New York, considering his NHL future. COL is considered a favourite...

3) but there are others sniffing around. Word is he also is interested in the likes of DET, FLA & WASH. Hard to glean their interest...

4) in his services, or what kind of contract we're talking about.

Couple of indications COL & WASH are not options. So we'll see where this goes with Radulov

Last edited by sureLoss; 04-25-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #3117
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would be absolutely shocked if he went to Washington with Trotz
Old 04-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #3118
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I would be absolutely shocked if he went to Washington with Trotz
You mean with all the other Russians that he currently coaches effectively? Yeah, you're right, that'd be bizarre.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #3119
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Russian Hockey Federation is absolutely furious with Radulov for going to NY to arrange an NHL deal instead of national team camp.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #3120
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You mean with all the other Russians that he currently coaches effectively? Yeah, you're right, that'd be bizarre.
Edit: Didn't he coach him during the run in Nashville where Radulov was less than an ideal player & teammate? I would also be surprised to see him land in Washington if thats the case.

Last edited by Toonage; 04-25-2016 at 02:22 PM. Reason: timeline
Closed Thread