Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #101
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I don't think it's right to let anybody in simply in the name of political correctness. Full checks and screenings just like anybody else who wants to enter our country should be mandatory. I'm not against letting refuggee's in, i'm against letting anybody who wants in just cause we want to be politically correct.

Had an interesting conversation. During world war 2 the british, french, polish, czeck's, russians (sort of), etc, all fought for their land and freedom they enjoy now and didn't seek asylum. Just wondering why the same isn't done among Syrians.

If there's a fire in a building and i had to get out i would go anywhere that safe. Most of these syrians are going to the land of greater prosperity. Bit strange.
Wow.

1) everybody gets "screened". Of course they do.
2) There is a civil war happening in Syria. That classifies as "fighting". To suggest that "british, french, polish, czeck's, russians" all fought and there were no refugees from those places is just absurd. There were tens of millions of refugees in Europe and leaving Europe.
3) If you think it's a bit strange that people would go to a land of greater prosperity, I don't know what to say.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #102
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Ah so they'll fit right in with the rest of the Canadian population then.
Well, the ones under 30 anyways.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #103
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think it'll be very important that the new refugees coming into Canada are properly assimilated into a civilized way of life, therefore whenever possible, donate your Flames tickets to one of these new families. God forbid any of them become oiler or canuck fans *shudder*

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karl262 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #104
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Source?
Casual racism.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #105
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No refugees or displaced people from World War II, that's a new one.

How does that conversation go in real life I wonder.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #106
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
No refugees or displaced people from World War II, that's a new one.

How does that conversation go in real life I wonder.
They weren't refugees because they fought. Apparently
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #107
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
They weren't refugees because they fought. Apparently
The Russians only "sort of" fought.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #108
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Had an interesting conversation. During world war 2 the british, french, polish, czeck's, russians (sort of), etc, all fought for their land and freedom they enjoy now and didn't seek asylum. Just wondering why the same isn't done among Syrians.
Wow. 10/10 for terrible.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #109
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For the amount of money they say it costs for each refugee I would prefer all these nations get together and build them a safe haven in their own country, the refugees would certainly prefer to stay close to home as well.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #110
takinghits
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
For the amount of money they say it costs for each refugee I would prefer all these nations get together and build them a safe haven in their own country, the refugees would certainly prefer to stay close to home as well.
What are the estimates you have seen for the cost?

If its like $150K/refugee for the 25K Refugees Canada is looking at ~$4B

Considering the annual expenditures for the Gov in 2014 were $290B we are talking about 1.4% of the budget.

Note that Canada's military expenditure for the war in Iraq and Syria is expected to cost $0.5B for one year. Cost for new F35 were estimated at $56 Billion.

Nothing is cheap
takinghits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 PM   #111
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a hell of a number you picked there. I'm no expert on this stuff either, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to cost 600 grand to settle a family of four.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/w...more-refugees/

How much would this cost? Contrary to popular perception, the government of Canada pays very little to support refugees arriving in Canada. Financial support can be provided for up to one year or until they find work, whichever comes first. In Ontario, a single refugee could receive up to $781 per month for a year, in addition to a one-time allowance of $905. Germany calculates that they spend slightly more, about $11,600 (in Canadian dollars) per new refugee. Increasing our refugee intake by a factor of 20 would cost approximately $2.2 billion a year.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #112
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
That's a hell of a number you picked there. I'm no expert on this stuff either, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to cost 600 grand to settle a family of four.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/w...more-refugees/

How much would this cost? Contrary to popular perception, the government of Canada pays very little to support refugees arriving in Canada. Financial support can be provided for up to one year or until they find work, whichever comes first. In Ontario, a single refugee could receive up to $781 per month for a year, in addition to a one-time allowance of $905. Germany calculates that they spend slightly more, about $11,600 (in Canadian dollars) per new refugee. Increasing our refugee intake by a factor of 20 would cost approximately $2.2 billion a year.
That's just spending money, housing, heathcare and education would be on top of that for sure.

During and after the Vietnam War Canada took in about 30,000 refugees and it's been estimated it cost a billion dollars back then.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:12 AM   #113
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as the refugees are being properly screened then I say let as many of them in as we can.

Serious question as I'm not too familiar with how this works, but are refugees allowed to stay here permanently? Are they allowed to become citizens? Is there any real difference between them and an immigrant?
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:23 AM   #114
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Serious question as I'm not too familiar with how this works, but are refugees allowed to stay here permanently? Are they allowed to become citizens? Is there any real difference between them and an immigrant?
Yes, they are allowed to stay.

The trite answer might be "about 3 years of paperwork." But in the end, the difference is where the person is waiting for their paperwork to complete. A refugee will be waiting inside of Canada for it, while an immigrant will usually be waiting where ever they are immigrating from for it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #115
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's just spending money, housing, heathcare and education would be on top of that for sure.

During and after the Vietnam War Canada took in about 30,000 refugees and it's been estimated it cost a billion dollars back then.
You also need to factor in the net back that the refugees and their children provide.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #116
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It was actually about 50,000 of the so called Vietnamese boat people.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #117
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, that worked pretty well in Israel didnt it! Lets put another one in the Middle East!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #118
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Refugees put that money right back into the system. Rent, food and everything else. Refugees help the economy in the long run by far.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #119
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Wow.

1) everybody gets "screened". Of course they do.
2) There is a civil war happening in Syria. That classifies as "fighting". To suggest that "british, french, polish, czeck's, russians" all fought and there were no refugees from those places is just absurd. There were tens of millions of refugees in Europe and leaving Europe.
3) If you think it's a bit strange that people would go to a land of greater prosperity, I don't know what to say.
There seems to be a lot of that; "OMG, I can't believe we are letting in 25,000 Syrians without vetting or proper screening." It's ridiculous.

There is an upside to taking in refugee sooner rather than later and that is that we will have first pick. Any time there is a massive migration like this, the original country suffers a brain drain, but destination countries benefit from that. There seems to be this notion among some that all the refugees are going to destitute forever, but there are people from all walks of life. Some are professionals, intellectuals, artists, athletes, entrepreneurs, etc... The types of people that can have almost immediate positive impacts on the countries they immigrate to. This was the case with a lot of the post-WW2 refugees that came to Canada.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-16-2015 at 08:24 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #120
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those interested in ways to help there is this event on Thursday morning at the central library:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: