Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Game 3: Oilers 4 Flames 1 (Edm leads series 2-1)

Oilers 4 Flames 1 (Edm leads series 2-1)

- Flames dominated five on five in the first half of the game
- Oiler stars shred realigned defense core
- Flames second half push when the game was over
- Big game Tuesday
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good write up as always. The Oilers first goal may just have well been a power play goal, as it came within seconds of the penalty expiring. I think that really deflated the Flames.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 2nd period was one of the most horrific periods of Flames hockey I can remember. A total horror show. Maybe they can bounce back but there's something going on here as I don't recall a Flames team ever playing like that under Darryl Sutter in the playoffs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #4
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

First post in a while. Have been watching the Flames and been pretty happy with the way they were going

In November I put some $ in Vegas that they were going the the SCF

Now in what hopefully is their darkest hour here are my thoughts

1) Sutter is getting outcoached. Does he think that Gaudreau line will outscore McDavid's line? Does he actually believe that Lindholm is the shut down Centre that can hold McDavid to ordinary? What the heck was the plan when getting Coleman? He is the shutdown guy that is supposed to be on the ice pretty much as much as he can handle with with McDavid on the ice.

2) The trades for Toffoli and Janrock are deadline day disasters. Did the Flames need more scoring? a 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th for these 2 guys plus 2 years of Tofoli at 4.25.

Rangers got Copp for a 2nd a 5th and a borderline NHL player( Ruzicka?) Rangers get by Carolina and the 2nd becomes a first.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Good write up as always. The Oilers first goal may just have well been a power play goal, as it came within seconds of the penalty expiring. I think that really deflated the Flames.

Agreed, they had the edge in play carry over. And it was a nonsense penalty, even Elliotte (!) said he thought it was more a toe pick by Draisaitl than anything
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
First post in a while. Have been watching the Flames and been pretty happy with the way they were going

In November I put some $ in Vegas that they were going the the SCF

Now in what hopefully is their darkest hour here are my thoughts

1) Sutter is getting outcoached. Does he think that Gaudreau line will outscore McDavid's line? Does he actually believe that Lindholm is the shut down Centre that can hold McDavid to ordinary? What the heck was the plan when getting Coleman? He is the shutdown guy that is supposed to be on the ice pretty much as much as he can handle with with McDavid on the ice.

2) The trades for Toffoli and Janrock are deadline day disasters. Did the Flames need more scoring? a 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th for these 2 guys plus 2 years of Tofoli at 4.25.

Rangers got Copp for a 2nd a 5th and a borderline NHL player( Ruzicka?) Rangers get by Carolina and the 2nd becomes a first.
Sutter isn't getting out coached.

You can't match up on a player that is playing half the game or you just disrupt your entire roster.

We have different definitions of the word disaster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
Jiffy Loob
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That 2nd period was one of the most horrific periods of Flames hockey I can remember. A total horror show. Maybe they can bounce back but there's something going on here as I don't recall a Flames team ever playing like that under Darryl Sutter in the playoffs.
Totally agree. Each 2nd period of this series has been an absolute shirtshow and we played our worst game in recent memory in game 3. I would cite immaturity as the main reason, but according to this link Edmonton has the 3rd and the Flames have the 5th oldest team in the league:

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/team...nhl-stats.html

So perhaps not immaturity, but the lack of playoff experience with our younger stars is really shining through. Considering how well the Flames can play with confidence and structure, the difference to me appears to be all mental. Sutter is the king of perseverance, patience and tenacity and he's learning about these players with each game. With the turn of the ratchet, I hope this advantage enables the Flames to regain their confidence and play their game.

When Tkachuk and Rasmus make comments like "McDavid played half the game" or "we have to stop that one guy" when McDavid only played 20 min when 5 other Oilers had more ice time, it feels like all between the ears stuff.
Jiffy Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffoli for 2 more years at 4.25 is a good thing not a bad thing.
He has been amongst the most consistent players offensively and just hasn't had the finish.
No issue with that deal.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #9
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Getting steamrolled by the Oilers has got to be the absolute worst way to end a very impressive season. This is just really hard to take.

Flames need to find a way to handle their first line. And Markstrom needs to at least play up to Smith’s level (which just seems ridiculous to type).

Win Game 4 and it’s a new series. Lose, and it is a loooong off-season.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #10
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to believe, but IMO we are in big trouble.

82 game sample size, the Flames were a top 2 or 3 defensive team in almost every metric and counting stat this season with a Vezina caliber goalie, yet in 6 of 7 games vs the oilers so far they have not found an answer for keeping them to under 4-5+ goals. And they have to find a way to turn that around without Tanev?

Good luck.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM   #11
Squirrel
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If Johnny continues to be the Flames best player they are done. He is SO afraid of any contact. Where has Lindholm gone? Tkachuk not making a case that he’ll be worth resigning.

Flames supposed “superior depth” proving to be a myth. Time for Sutter to rearrange some deck chairs.

Goaltending and defence is what I thought would be the Flames biggest edge in the series but has yet to be the case.

Big trouble if they can’t get a game 4 win.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:28 PM   #12
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Without Tanev I don’t see this series ending well. Hope I’m wrong, but the D is a mess right now.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #13
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man this place is kinda lame sometimes. It's like people didn't learn anything from the doom and gloom in the last series. It's the end of the world again because the Flames are down 2 games to 1.

Maybe it because this team hasn't gone on a playoff run for years, but playoff hockey has crazy momentum swings in series most of the time. I'll let the series play out before I start thrashing everything about the Flames.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #14
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

- Lindholm/center in the slot with 2-3 Oilers.
- Johnny/winger passes back to D
- D tries to make an east-west pass that gets tipped
- 3 player race to Markstrom

I feel like that's sums up the majority of games 2 and 3
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BlindMilwaukee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 12:56 PM   #15
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I know many don't want to readit, or hear it or maybe just dont want to admit it, but Connor McDavid is playing the game on another level than anyone else on earth right now.

He is clearly dragging others with him as well. Kane looking like a modern day Mike Bossy, Draisaitl playing like he is on a bad wheel, and Smith channeling his inner Dom Hasek.

Flames looked completely mesmerized by it all last night.

If they want to beat the Oil, they have to stop reacting and start initiating. Go the Stars route for a night and play a 1-3-1 and see how the Oil react. My guess is they get frustrated they cant free wheel as they have been, start taking chances that lead to mistakes. See if Woodcroft is able to coach them around it all.

Oil have been really good the last 5 periods....so force them to change what they have been doing, cause what has been trending the last 2 games is not a recipe for success.

I think the Flames have the personel and (obviously) the head coach to pull it off. Just a matter of commitment at this point.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:05 PM   #16
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Sutter isn't getting out coached.

You can't match up on a player that is playing half the game or you just disrupt your entire roster.

We have different definitions of the word disaster.
Getting Backlund and Coleman on the ice with McDavid instead of having your best line getting dominated is not disrupting your entire roster.

What match up does Edmonton want?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Man this place is kinda lame sometimes. Blah blah blah.........
So is this post. Don't tell fans how they are supposed to react after a total ass whooping at the hand of their hated rival. Post about the team or don't post. Nobody wants to hear this crap after last night's game.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-23-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 01:11 PM   #18
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Getting Backlund and Coleman on the ice with McDavid instead of having your best line getting dominated is not disrupting your entire roster.

What match up does Edmonton want?
So you're going to play Backlund 28 minutes and the Lindholm line what 13?

And you're not seeing that as disruptive?

When the guy you want to shut down plays half a game you really can't line match.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #19
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So you're going to play Backlund 28 minutes and the Lindholm line what 13?

And you're not seeing that as disruptive?

When the guy you want to shut down plays half a game you really can't line match.
I'd try to play Lindholms line a little less vs McDavid. Maybe try to have them take the offensive zone draws vs 97, and Backlund's line take the defensive ones as much as at all possible.

It would redistribute the ice time some and be somewhat disruptive, but not insurmountable.

The biggest key, I think, is play more of a puck possession game. McDavid has just had the puck way too much.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #20
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I know many don't want to readit, or hear it or maybe just dont want to admit it, but Connor McDavid is playing the game on another level than anyone else on earth right now.

He is clearly dragging others with him as well. Kane looking like a modern day Mike Bossy, Draisaitl playing like he is on a bad wheel, and Smith channeling his inner Dom Hasek.

Flames looked completely mesmerized by it all last night.

If they want to beat the Oil, they have to stop reacting and start initiating. Go the Stars route for a night and play a 1-3-1 and see how the Oil react. My guess is they get frustrated they cant free wheel as they have been, start taking chances that lead to mistakes. See if Woodcroft is able to coach them around it all.

Oil have been really good the last 5 periods....so force them to change what they have been doing, cause what has been trending the last 2 games is not a recipe for success.

I think the Flames have the personel and (obviously) the head coach to pull it off. Just a matter of commitment at this point.

Well, that’s not happening

Flames had nothing particularly challenging last night

He made one good save on the Tkachuk rebound, which Matt shoveled in his glove, and then returned to classic belly flop on Kylington’s goal
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote