Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2022, 04:26 PM   #41
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know he loves the game but it always shocks me when a player goes from 6+ million to under a million.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #42
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Gio would retire before accepting a $1mill deal.
Lol
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 06:24 PM   #43
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Love Giordano and if we're putting a team together solely for cap reasons $1MM AAV for Gio is a steal even at his current abilities. That said if he was coming back to Calgary I would honestly question his ability and the team's ability to accept him coming back and taking on a diminished role relative to leading the team as captain as he did for years. Might mess with the chemistry that they have going for them right now.
I think culture and chemistry is key. Awesome guy from what many people say but it was time to move on... and once we do team shouldn’t look back.

I wish him all the best!
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #44
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Would have taken him in Calgary on that deal for sure. Looks like he prefers TO.
He's from there. At this point in his career, I'm not surprised he wants to stay home now.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #45
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Me thinks you're overthinking it; Giordano has agreed to get another 1.6 million dollars to play hockey, that's it. The NHLPA isn't going to give a crap about a 40 year old player signing so low, it happens.
With a cap on what the total pot of funds for paying salaries, the money will still get spent. So the old days player x wrecking the market by taking less no longer apply. In order to pay the second contract guys the way they get paid, it's the older guys making a lot less now. So if some has to make less the guys with 1000 games and a career of earnings likely is more palatable for the NHLPA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 11:36 AM   #46
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Lol

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 11:41 AM   #47
UnitedFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Calgary lost such a quality player and human being. No holding out bull****, no mind games, no ego. Just get the job done. Love Giordano.
UnitedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:38 PM   #48
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand why Gio gives up the chance to win a cup.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:57 PM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I know he loves the game but it always shocks me when a player goes from 6+ million to under a million.
It's not a lot relative to what he's earned over his career but it's still pretty good dough to go out and play hockey. If he retired today what career can he go into making $800k a year?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #50
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved by the players and the organization here. I wonder if any impact on their play could have been due to this news coming out.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:01 PM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
It’s always shocked me that more players haven’t. So many talk about wanting to win, and so few take cuts when they age to be on winning teams/in great fits.

Biggest example for me was the Dion contract. I just can’t fathom making myself a burden and but of jokes for the rest of my career to try and make $40 million instead of $20 million. Or whatever. It’s all insane money either way, maximizing profit when you’re a wearing down player never made sense to me. You’re in the entertainment business and you’re choosing the be the heel.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:03 PM   #52
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When his house in calgary went up for sale two weeks ago I figured there would be a deal that kept him in Toronto coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:12 PM   #53
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedFlames View Post
Calgary lost such a quality player and human being. No holding out bull****, no mind games, no ego. Just get the job done. Love Giordano.
All true, and he wasn't intimidated by McDavid either. Never gave him an inch or let him take an inside lane uncontested.

Flames current D could take a lesson.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #54
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
####...there goes my hopes of Gio coming back next season
I think that dream sailed when Giordano got into a major tussle with half the team during his last game here. The rumors of a rift in the dressing room were probably true, and Tkachuk would've had to go before Giordano would have considered coming back.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #55
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
All true, and he wasn't intimidated by McDavid either. Never gave him an inch or let him take an inside lane uncontested.

Flames current D could take a lesson.
Flames current D are deeper in the playoffs now than Gio has ever been. Not to mention he constantly got walked by McDavid.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:19 PM   #56
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames current D are deeper in the playoffs now than Gio has ever been. Not to mention he constantly got walked by McDavid.
I'm not arguing that the Flames are missing him, although they are certainly not deeper with Tanev on the shelf. But there's no circumstance that would allow for Giordano to be on the Flames, so no debate about it either way.

Not sure about being walked by McDavid any more than anyone in the league. Who isn't getting walked by McDavid? At least Giordano wouldn't let him get to the net without a fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 09:33 PM   #57
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I'm not arguing that the Flames are missing him, although they are certainly not deeper with Tanev on the shelf. But there's no circumstance that would allow for Giordano to be on the Flames, so no debate about it either way.

Not sure about being walked by McDavid any more than anyone in the league. Who isn't getting walked by McDavid? At least Giordano wouldn't let him get to the net without a fight.
Just responding your point about the Flames D taking lessons from Gio...he didn't exactly shut McDavid down or do anything in the playoffs here. He got walked by McDavid and hauled him down for a penalty often. Did almost end his career I guess
Old 05-23-2022, 10:23 PM   #58
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Just responding your point about the Flames D taking lessons from Gio...he didn't exactly shut McDavid down or do anything in the playoffs here. He got walked by McDavid and hauled him down for a penalty often. Did almost end his career I guess
I disagree to an extent. He certainly didn't shut McDavid down. No one does. But he played his game the same way; I don't think he was intimidated by McDavid the way that it seems like Anderson and Hanifin are. The one player that reminds me of the way Gio would handle McDavid is Tanev. We all agree how much the Flames are missing him now.

And as for the almost ending McDavid's career comment, I don't know. Seems like McDavid almost ended his own career, but I guess that's just my take.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:54 PM   #59
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unpopular opinion but the Flames are better off without Gio in the room this year. Of course could you say that he'd be better on the ice than Stone at this exact second, sure and probably a couple others...but you can't seperate his on ice ability from his dressing room presence. And, the Flames D took a big step forward with the Sutter style.

I think Tkachuk is the main benefactor this season, after some of the antics last year he didn't feel backed up on.

Leadership group Sutter has put in place has stepped up.

Add in Tanev and Gudbranson and of course Lucic and their voices carried more weight this year without a defacto long time captain unofficial/officially running the dressing room anymore.

Last edited by browna; 05-23-2022 at 11:56 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:28 AM   #60
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh sweet summer child.

No. If it isnt Calgary you really dont.

The Cup comes back to Canada all the time because half the players in the League are Canadian.

Look at the overwhelming media coverage we get in Canada. We're drowned in Leafs/Habs/Oilers effluvia.

If any one of those teams won it we would never, ever hear the end of it. It would be awful.
Habs? I barely hear them ever mentioned
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote