Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #201
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Ya, fair enough. I think my main point is that Calgary isn't a good spot for them. There are better markets in the area looking for good hockey. Calgary already has trouble filling the Dome when the Flames aren't red hot. You think people will be clamouring to also attend a prospects game during those down times?
When the team isn't good, people don't want to play the high price for NHL hockey. If the AHL is much more affordable, I can see it drawing well in those down years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 08:48 AM   #202
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames seem to draw quite well even when they are for the 100/200s. The 300s are junk seats with terrible views, I'm not surprised they don't sell those out when they are bad, I'm more surprised they sell them out when they are good.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #203
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He's 24, so it wouldn't be a shock to see Calgary part ways with him. It seems clear he's not in the Flames' long term plans.
Pending RFA who just finished eighth in league scoring and set basically every team scoring record in his age-23 season. He's staying.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #204
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Ya, fair enough. I think my main point is that Calgary isn't a good spot for them. There are better markets in the area looking for good hockey. Calgary already has trouble filling the Dome when the Flames aren't red hot. You think people will be clamouring to also attend a prospects game during those down times?
They already attend prospects games when they watch the Hitmen.

The AHL is professional hockey. Literally men, who are signed to contracts and assets for the best league in the world.

Not boys.

Do people pay to watch the Stamps play prospect football?

Paying to watch the Hitmen is like paying Stampeders prices to watch the Colts.

Men vs. Boys
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 10:44 AM   #205
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

People are looking too deep on the arena side of things. The Hitmen slid to over 6000k average attendance before the pandemic, before that they were 8-9k. They are not playing at winsport and most certainly not on Tsuutina with like 1500 seats, lol.

I think many might be overestimating how many dates the Saddeldome gets a year and then coming up with a solution where's there's no problem? 110 tops between the Roughnecks, Flames and Hitmen and like 15 concerts a year. So like 170 events adding in the heat, and the Saddleome would still sit empty for over half the year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #206
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I agree with Boreal. I totally get supporting the Hitmen and they’ve been here almost my whole life.
But having the AHL and the Flames affiliate in town is very cool. Like has already been said but to see guys like Pelletier, Zary, And Wolf is fantastic. I’ll definitely be going to games.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlindMilwaukee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #207
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
They already attend prospects games when they watch the Hitmen.

The AHL is professional hockey. Literally men, who are signed to contracts and assets for the best league in the world.

Not boys.

Do people pay to watch the Stamps play prospect football?

Paying to watch the Hitmen is like paying Stampeders prices to watch the Colts.

Men vs. Boys

Paying to watch the Hitmen is like paying Stampeders prices to watch NCAA football and basketball. It's the best players at their age of development, not a second tier.

Stamps and Heat are a very good comparison. Men playing in the second best league in the world.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #208
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Pending RFA who just finished eighth in league scoring and set basically every team scoring record in his age-23 season. He's staying.
I get that the Flames often like to have good non-prospect type players around to fill out the AHL team and make them respectable, but you are placing too much emphasis on his scoring and not enough on him being projectable as a contributing NHL player.

I'm suggesting he needs to play a top 6 role due to his skillset, but it seems clear the Flames aren't seeing him as that calibre of player.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:03 PM   #209
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This isn't the thread to discuss this, but he'll be re-signed. He's six months younger than Walker Duehr, who people still seem to have hopes for, and three times as productive. He'll get a shot in camp to make an impact as a cheap option to drive possession in a third-line role.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #210
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only question really on every one's mind:

Does this move also come with the resurrection of Scorch???
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 12:10 PM   #211
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

It BETTER!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #212
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

YES!

Bring back Scorch!

https://chng.it/tTLSKMqSW2
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #213
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
YES!

Bring back Scorch!

https://chng.it/tTLSKMqSW2
Plus can update his reign of terror backstory that he was constantly wreaking havoc on all the former AHL cities to bring the team to its rightful home in Calgary.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 01:23 PM   #214
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Well, don't the Flames also have to subsidize other AHL teams flying here now? So economics are out the window, they pay more for travel costs for them and others, maybe make a bit more money and some less expenses than Stockton by hosting on home rink and synergy with the CSEC, but they aren't coming out ahead.

But I agree with T99, and as I said earlier, imo this is a shorter term solution until a more viable long term solution presents itself or can be developed.

And really, each time this team has moved going back to Quad Cities days there's always been discussion on bringing them to Calgary, and the CSEC never has.
I don't think anything has changed to make it more viable here now, outside of just not having a solid option anywhere else next year and in combination with not forcing itself into another situation like Stockton that isn't ideal but then be stuck with it.
How about 8 other teams in the Mountain/Pacific Time zones? Before they moved to Stockton there were 0, aside from the brief experiment with Abbotsford or Utah in the early 2000s.

If they do a 'flying' division, then all of those teams will be in the same boat for travel. There are probably a few opportunities to mitigate those costs through scheduling/collaboration with those teams.

As getback says, it it gets within a million or two of breaking even, then it could be a justifiable investment in player development/general organizational effectiveness. Do we think this has been a more lucrative venture in Stockton or anywhere else in the last 20 years?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #215
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
This isn't the thread to discuss this, but he'll be re-signed. He's six months younger than Walker Duehr, who people still seem to have hopes for, and three times as productive. He'll get a shot in camp to make an impact as a cheap option to drive possession in a third-line role.
Well, Walker's size makes him a potential bottom line player, although I wouldn't bet the farm on him ever making any kind of impact.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:53 PM   #216
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
2nd or 3rd best hockey league in the world...nice take
It terms of talent sure great, it terms of entertaining hockey.. no. It's not good hockey.

Anyone thinking this will push the long established WHL Hitmen out are smoking pot.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:00 PM   #217
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Gonna be on CBC Radio One "The Homestretch" to discuss the move in just a couple minutes.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good