Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #101
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super stoked on this one. I wish it was movies.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:19 PM   #102
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Only one more sleep if you're planning to watch it tomorrow at 1:00am when it drops.
Little bit of overtime and we could jump straight out of the suicide booth and onto the star wars watch party.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:41 PM   #103
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed those first two episodes. McGregor is terrific and was born to play this role.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 05:45 PM   #104
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought it was pretty good. Seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan again is awesome and he slid back into that role so naturally.

If I have one complaint it’s probably Moses Ingram. Not really a fan of her performance so far. I don’t feel intimidated by her character. Rupert Friend and the Grand Inquisitor was better than I was expecting though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:16 PM   #105
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I didn't get that sense of menace from her, but I don't think that's her character. The Grand Inquisitor is menacing because he's just cold. He was a great character in Rebels. With the Third Sister, she's just a angry rage machine. Obviously she's a youngling that escaped Order 66. Probably tried to find the Jedi for help and maybe got a similar response to what Obi-Wan gave to the fleeing Jedi last night. The Jedi are dead, go to ground, live a normal life. But she clearly turned herself in, and she's a rage machine.

The other Inquisitors were stoic and calculating. Her betrayal of the Grand Inquisitor is going to cost her, badly since its clear that he survives. I wonder if she shows up with a prosthetic hand

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #106
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can just feel how the back half of the series is going to be epic. Obi Wan post war PTSD battling his demon. And it's name is Anakin.

This is going to be glorious when we hit full speed

Love that they're portraying Leia as just this extremely intuitive child. She sees people and you know she doesn't know how or why.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:33 PM   #107
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Little leia is great in the dialogue scenes. I can't figure out why they didn't make her look a little more athletic in the action scenes.

This is a really fun show so far.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:19 PM   #108
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

A missed opportunity would have been to have Kenobi disguised as a short stormtrooper rescuing Leia from the cell
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #109
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
A missed opportunity would have been to have Kenobi disguised as a short stormtrooper rescuing Leia from the cell
"I'm Ben Kenobi. I'm here to rescue you."

"Ben Kenobi!?!?"
Old 05-27-2022, 10:47 PM   #110
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Just watched the first episode. Really liked it. A major issue I had was that Ewan McGregor's acting is so good, it makes some of the other actors seem so bad to the point it pulls you out of the scene. The random Jedi in the bar was especially bad.

Anyways, much better than Boba Fett so far.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:00 AM   #111
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great episodes (on the whole). A John Williams score, too! It felt so classic star wars.

The kid KILLED it as Leia. As my friend put it, she's channeling the spirit of Carrie.

My gripe like others was with Revan.

So she's a bottom ranked inquisitor but can literally extract specific information from Nanjiani's character's mind?

Please don't make her a dark side Rey and overpower her. You have to draw the line somewhere and give her limits, unless you're going to declare her a full blown sith lord, which she clearly isn't.

I'm really not liking the mind-hacking that the sequels introduced.

Sensing another's strong emotions makes perfect sense for force-sensitive users and was demonstrated many times in the OT, but not straight up mind reading for specific information.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-28-2022 at 07:26 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:19 AM   #112
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn’t like it. Episodes were very slow, no real building of tension. Sets looked cheap and small. Generic worldbuilding and background actors. One bounty hunter was a dinosaur rubber suit.

Reminded me a lot of Bobba Fett - chats and long looks w/o anything being done. Stupid decisions all round? 3 bounty hunters struggle to catch up to a kid. She easily runs from Kenobi in the city.

Little girl a little too much screen time. Young Jedi on the run was more interesting - sad it ended offscreen for him.

Timeline is wierd? Those kids have 10 years to grow into Luke and Leia, but Obi Wan and Uncle Owen are going to be in their 70’s by then?

Villians were okish, but the stunts for the street top chase were so poorly done and cheap…

Hope I’m wrong and it improves, but ATM it feels like Boba Fett writers trying to be funny, and balance Obi-wans brooding (boring) screentime with ooodles of “plucky kid bests adults yet again!”. Very episode 1.

Even had a Jar Jar with the fake jedi dude.

Meh for me. Hope it turns.

Not their fault, but to open with a school shooting was hard to watch. Affected me, and may have soured the well. I acknowlege this.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:30 AM   #113
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
I didn’t like it. Episodes were very slow, no real building of tension. Sets looked cheap and small. Generic worldbuilding and background actors. One bounty hunter was a dinosaur rubber suit.

Reminded me a lot of Bobba Fett - chats and long looks w/o anything being done. Stupid decisions all round? 3 bounty hunters struggle to catch up to a kid. She easily runs from Kenobi in the city.

Little girl a little too much screen time. Young Jedi on the run was more interesting - sad it ended offscreen for him.

Timeline is wierd? Those kids have 10 years to grow into Luke and Leia, but Obi Wan and Uncle Owen are going to be in their 70’s by then?

Villians were okish, but the stunts for the street top chase were so poorly done and cheap…

Hope I’m wrong and it improves, but ATM it feels like Boba Fett writers trying to be funny, and balance Obi-wans brooding (boring) screentime with ooodles of “plucky kid bests adults yet again!”. Very episode 1.

Not their fault, but to open with a school shooting was hard to watch. Affected me, and may have soured the well. I acknowlege this.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:35 AM   #114
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Nothing to say? Mkay. I’d just like more Mando than Boba from this one.

I’ll own the bummer take - not a great last few days around here.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:02 AM   #115
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post

Seems like you're nitpicking for the sake of it.

Obi is supposed to be 59 at the beginning of episode 4 and Alec Guinness was only 62 at the time of filming. Ewan McGregor is 51 now. The timelines are pretty close to accurate. You're objectively exaggerating faults.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 07:15 AM   #116
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Just watched the first episode. Really liked it. A major issue I had was that Ewan McGregor's acting is so good, it makes some of the other actors seem so bad to the point it pulls you out of the scene. The random Jedi in the bar was especially bad.

Haha, this is true.

Is it bad i was hoping that guy was killed off as quickly as possible? He was a terrible jedi in hiding and the contrast between the two was jarring.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #117
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
You can just feel how the back half of the series is going to be epic. Obi Wan post war PTSD battling his demon. And it's name is Anakin.

This is going to be glorious when we hit full speed

Love that they're portraying Leia as just this extremely intuitive child. She sees people and you know she doesn't know how or why.
The build up to Hayden-Vader has me nothing short of giddy at this point. We know where this thing is headed, and you can already tell it's going to be epic.

Leia is well portrayed. I thought her dialogue was well written and delivered by the young lady.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #118
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Which is weird because Benny Safdie is a great actor. He was incredible in Good Time as Robert Paterson's brother. He's also going to be in the new Christopher Nolan film.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #119
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d give it a 7 out of 10 so far. I hope it gets better.

Some spoilers…

- The initial chase scene when Leia was captured was a bit ridiculous. It looks like she is running slow… why can’t they catch her?

- So Obi Wan knew Anakin was Darth Vader… but didn’t have the heart to tell Luke? I guess I kinda always figured this was the case… I always assumed Obi Wan knew Anakin alive for some reason.

- I forget the actors name… I didn’t like the fake Jedi comedy angle. Seemed to be a bit sloppy. The acting seemed to be a bit unpolished. Comedy seems out of place in Star Wars. This isn’t the MCU.

- Vader needs more screen time! He needs to be the big bad… who cares about the inquisitors

- the Jedi that died on Tatooine… how did he find Obi Wan? Did they already know each other?

Overall I think this will continue to improve, was just hoping for a bit more of a hook in the first two episodes.

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eddly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 10:10 AM   #120
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoying it so far. A little too much focus on young Leia. Her outrunning those bounty hunters was pretty ridiculous. Maybe if they had shot it in a way that showed her moving faster with the force or something. But it looked very CW-chase-through-a-Vancouver-park. Same when Obi Wan is chasing her.

I think the Volume (the big screen where they shoot a lot of these now) can cause a scene like her and Obi-Wan just look like they are going in circles (which they are). I felt the same during the scene in Loki with the crashing moon and them running around the city.

Need Vader ASAP. And if Obi-Wan doesn’t take an arm off with his lightsaber by episode 4 I’ll be chapped.