Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #41
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I see that Alberta has upped their tax credits again. That should help bring more work into town.

Still hoping it becomes busy enough to move back. Would love to get out of Vancouver.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2022, 01:58 PM   #42
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I see that Alberta has upped their tax credits again. That should help bring more work into town.

Still hoping it becomes busy enough to move back. Would love to get out of Vancouver.

Vancouver seems to get a lot of high profile films and tv. Do you think Calgary will attract those?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:41 AM   #43
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Vancouver seems to get a lot of high profile films and tv. Do you think Calgary will attract those?

No idea really but you have to start somewhere. I would say some pretty big productions have come to Calgary over the years though. And really, in this industry it is quantity over quality. For ever big show or hit there’s probably a 100 or more pieces of crap made.

Vancouver has the backing infrastructure that makes it easier to film here. Studios, production staff, post production, rentals etc. I guess that’s what I am hoping for, better tax credits helping build up the industry.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #44
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I watched Interstellar for the first time this week and one of the shots they pull up in a town and I saw ATCO on a building, I thought I'm pretty sure that's only in Alberta so I look it up and sure enough filmed mostly in Alberta and Iceland. Its exciting to me seeing movies being filmed here.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:34 PM   #45
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I watched Interstellar for the first time this week and one of the shots they pull up in a town and I saw ATCO on a building, I thought I'm pretty sure that's only in Alberta so I look it up and sure enough filmed mostly in Alberta and Iceland. Its exciting to me seeing movies being filmed here.
The baseball game was filmed at the diamond next to Seaman Stadium in okotoks!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:12 AM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post

How do these tax credits actually work to draw productions away from other provinces or the US? I never quite understood how American productions film here, I had assumed they just pay filming fees but still owe taxes to their home base of the US and just came here for the lower dollar.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #47
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
How do these tax credits actually work to draw productions away from other provinces or the US? I never quite understood how American productions film here, I had assumed they just pay filming fees but still owe taxes to their home base of the US and just came here for the lower dollar.
It depends. I do not know the exact wording of what Alberta is offering but in general the tax credits are a rebate style program the production would qualify for on money spent in the province. In BC the credits get a little more specific and the credits are based on BC based labour and services so each production has to have workers provide proof of residency. Years ago Ontario went scorched earth and offered tax credits to productions on just the money spent regardless of residency. Made strictly to get productions to the province but it actually had negative impact on the locals as productions just brought in US based crews. It also nearly killed filming in BC. They had to tweak that years ago to be more specific to Ontario based services and labour.

A number of things bring productions to Canada and the cheaper dollar and the tax credits really help. Locations are another big one. Easy access to a number of different environments are big helps as well. Most productions are US based so if they have a $1million dollar per episode budget you can obviously stretch that farther just on the exchange and then kick back on the tax credits are a bonus. Vancouver/BC has the advantage because we have the infrastructure and talent around filming in place an plentiful. Would love to see that happen in Calgary and I could do my last years in Alberta rather than here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:38 PM   #48
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
The baseball game was filmed at the diamond next to Seaman Stadium in okotoks!
? it was filmed in Seaman Stadium
Old 06-08-2022, 10:21 AM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I loved it": Andrew Garfield gives a sweet shoutout to Alberta

Quote:
Given the heavy subject matter of the story, the interviewer asked Garfield if Alberta was a good place to be when he needed to take a break.

That was all the promoting he needed because Garfield then goes off about how much he loved the area.

“Dude, I loved it,” he enthused. “I really genuinely loved Calgary. I loved Alberta, I loved the people, I loved the restaurants, I loved the food, I loved the nature.

“I just had a great time.”

The actor went on to profess his love for Banff and Lake Louise as well. He said he took a “crazy cold” dip in Lake Louise: “I was like, ‘Why is no one else doing this?’ and then I jumped in and I was like ‘Oh, now I understand why no one else is doing this.'”

“It’s very, very cold,” Garfield explained.

He described how tight the cast and crew were during production, saying that they’d go on hikes on the weekends and have game nights.
https://dailyhive.com/calgary/andrew...lgary-shoutout

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #50
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
? it was filmed in Seaman Stadium
Tourmaline Field was the location - next to Seaman

Spoiler!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:55 PM   #51
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Traffic around 4th Ave and 5th Street SW is a fustercluck today due to filming for The Last of Us. The production crew has turned the lot where the Office Depot used to be into an abandoned military camp/triage centre set. Looks like they might be filming up the alley toward 6th Street too, although it didn't take much to make that alley look post-apocalyptic...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:58 PM   #52
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...1w/tlou_today/

some photos of the set from reddit, pretty cool stuff
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #53
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Traffic around 4th Ave and 5th Street SW is a fustercluck today due to filming for The Last of Us. The production crew has turned the lot where the Office Depot used to be into an abandoned military camp/triage centre set. Looks like they might be filming up the alley toward 6th Street too, although it didn't take much to make that alley look post-apocalyptic...
A forumer over on Skyrisecities was thinking we should convince the production to leave that lot like that as a tourist attraction. Heck it worked for New Zealand and the Hobbiton set.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #54
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://youtu.be/0vadsLx8Rq0?t=1453

Andrew Garfield and Zendaya - talks about Calgary at 24:13 - reps the Repsol Centre quite a bit but Zendaya had this funny look when he said it was 6 months in Calgary - not sure if she recognized what our city is or if it was like more like "oh that sucks/Calgary bummer" sort of thing.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:16 AM   #55
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, she had never heard of it and didn't know where Garfield was going with it. She started leaning into the "it must be in the middle of nowhere or not fun" angle.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:04 AM   #56
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fargo is expected to return to Calgary for season 5 (after season 4 was shot in Chicago), with Jon Hamm, Juno Temple, and Jennifer Jason Leigh starring: https://calgaryherald.com/entertainm...eason-of-fargo

Old 02-06-2023, 10:40 AM   #57
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A sequel to Wind River is going to shoot here, starting this month.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:42 AM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
A sequel to Wind River is going to shoot here, starting this month.
Jesus Lord....where does Taylor Sheridan find the time??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #59
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Set to film in Alberta later this year:

Jude Law (Fantastic Beasts) and Nicholas Hoult (X-Men franchise) have been set to lead true-crime movie The Order, which acclaimed Australian filmmaker Justin Kurzel (Macbeth) will direct.

Oscar- and BAFTA-nominated writer Zach Baylin (King Richard), wrote the screenplay based on The Silent Brotherhood, the book by Kevin Flynn and Gary Gerhardt that chronicles the escalating crimes of the titular white supremist domestic terror group.

In 1983, a series of increasingly violent bank robberies, counterfeiting operations and armored car heists frightened communities throughout the Pacific Northwest. As baffled law enforcement agents scrambled for answers, a lone FBI agent (Law), stationed in the sleepy, picturesque town of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, came to believe the crimes were not the work of traditional, financially motivated criminals but a group of dangerous domestic terrorists, inspired by a radical, charismatic leader (Hoult), plotting a devastating war against the federal government of the United States.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:58 PM   #60
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Jesus Lord....where does Taylor Sheridan find the time??
I was wondering the same thing, but doesn't really look like he's very involved with this one
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote