Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2022, 03:56 PM   #481
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Manhattan Projects by Jonathan Hickman. This is peak Hickman. Weird, kinda confusing, heady sci-fi. It’s about, you guessed it, the Manhattan Project but not the one we know from history. This one is way more ####ed up. Murder, cannibalism, portals to other multiverses, aliens, robots, etc. 6 volumes, about 30 issues. But it was never finished so it just kind of ends mid story. No cliffhanger or anything but no real resolution.

The Omega Men by Tom King. Sort of a war in Iraq allegory but with Kyle Rayner and some other DC planets involved. Oppressors, rebels, galactic slavery. Solid all around. Albeit not the most optimistic work. Little bit of a downer.

Doomsday Clock. Geoff Johns Watchmen follow up. Good but not amazing. As long as you’re not the type to get offended by such things, like a sequel to Watchmen that doesn’t have the blessing of Alan Moore.

I’m now onto Brian K Vaughan’s We Stand on Guard. 22nd century and USA has invaded Canada. It’s about Canadian rebels/freedom fighters. One issue in and we’ve had references to Tim’s, the CBC, two-fours, determining friend from foe by quizzing them on the last Stanley cup winner, superman being Canadian. I may have even missed a few. Vaughan squeezes in a lot of canadiana. I’ve probably missed a Hip reference or two already.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-17-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:58 PM   #482
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Neal Adams has died at the age of 80. Industry legend.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:39 PM   #483
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

George Perez possibly the nicest comic creator I ever met has passed away. When he came to the Calgary Comic Expo I remember him stopping his sketches he was doing because he wanted to take pictures with some kids dressed up and he liked their costumes. Devastating loss
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #484
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Today is Free Comic Book day. Took the kids to Red Skull to grab a couple of the free books and then they picked out a few trades for themselves. My oldest grabbed Batman Knightfall Vol 2 and my youngest picked up Superior Spiderman 1 & 2.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #485
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you're into crime noir, Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' graphic novel series Reckless is pretty great. Set in the late 70s and 80s.

There are 4 books:
Reckless
Reckless: Friend of the Devil
Reckless: Destroy all Monsters
Reckless: The Ghost in You
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #486
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much everything Brubaker and Phillips do is very good at a minimum. They work well together.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:49 PM   #487
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Goddamn what a crappy few months for the comic book world.

Tim Sale has died at the age of 66. His work with Jeph Loeb is legendary. Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Superman for All Seasons, Spider-Man Blue, Daredevil Yellow, Hulk Grey. Literally 6 of the very best comics I own.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #488
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tim Sale’s loss is monumental. Way too young and it seemed to happen so quickly.

What a ####ing #### year.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #489
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

There's been some talk about how it's impossible to write a Superman movie or comic because he's too powerful.

I came across this featurette about All Star Superman and how Morrison and Quitely tackled this problem. It's a great series and the video is worth the 30 minutes watch.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #490
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

My two year (and counting) long quest to read my backlog of digital and physical comics is ongoing.

I’ve read a bunch of stuff recently, Star Wars Legacy about Luke’s great, great grandson (or whatever, maybe I missed a grand in there). It was not bad. Plus Crimson Empire, Infinites and a couple other SW titles I picked up on the cheap a while ago. All were decent. None were amazing.

Finished Donny Cates Venom, at least all the volumes I owned. Up to issue 200. It’s solid throughout.

The highlight though is Jonathan Hickman’s X-Men. Wow is it ever good. I’m only about 3/4 done House of X/Powers of X and I’m already blown away.

As usual for Hickman it’s grand, ambitious, heady sci-fi that can at times be confusing as #### but is engaging and a page turner. Best of all its mind blowing, like all his stuff. I can’t decide if I feel smarter reading his stuff or feel dumb because he’s clearly on another plane of existence than I am. His ideas are all so big and complex and just downright fascinating. I cannot recommend this enough.

I only have the 12 issues of House and Powers of X plus X-Men vol 1 but I’ll be buying everything else he wrote as part of his X-Men relaunch as soon as marvel has their next digital X-Men sale. It’s amazing.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:15 PM   #491
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Couple more recommendations.

Dan Slott and Mike Allred’s run on Silver Surfer. It’s about 27 or 28 issues. Gets re-numbered in the middle and starts from issue 1 again but it’s all the same run. One of my favourite runs of any character ever. Simply outstanding. One of those collaborations where the writer and artist are so perfectly in sync that I cannot fathom another artist on this title.

Saga. This series is already critically acclaimed so nothing new from me here. I love everything Brian K Vaughan writes and this is no exception. Every single volume I’ve read so far is equally as good as the one before it. Fiona Staples’ art is excellent as well.

Strong recommendations for both.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:45 PM   #492
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lazarus: Risen #7 finally came out, after a year! And it concludes the series, which is the second act of the overall Lazarus story. The third act will be Lazarus: Fallen, and will consist of 12-14 regular sized issues. The "plan" is to not start releasing any issues of Fallen until 8 or 9 of the issues are done and in the can, so that the series can be released monthly without delay. I expect we will not see the first issue until sometime in 2024, and I certainly hope the whole series has been written and drawn before November 2024.

In the meantime, Volume 7 will be a collection of Lazarus 27-28 plus Lazarus: Risen 1-7. This trade is supposed to be out before the end of the year, and I have seen it solicited for December and on Amazon for December. Volumes 6 & 7 will be combined into the Fourth hardcover. And with the issues planned, Fallen should make up volumes 8 & 9, as well as the Fifth hardcover.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #493
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I loved Lazarus! When the final trades are out I’ll definitely buy them all and binge, like I’m doing with the first half of Saga.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 05:56 PM   #494
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I found some old comics in the basement of our store today. Is there a good website to check the values or maybe at least set aside the comics that might be worth getting checked out.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:59 PM   #495
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
So I found some old comics in the basement of our store today. Is there a good website to check the values or maybe at least set aside the comics that might be worth getting checked out.
Uh, well we do have a user that owns a comic book store.

The Phoenix Comics on 16th.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #496
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

How many comics? What era? Are they all one series or a mix? If 80s or 90s, they’re likely not worth much. But you never know, could have some key issues. You could probably just google ‘comic price guide’ and use any of the top results to get a general idea.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:36 PM   #497
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Ongoing Comic Books Thread

There doesn’t seem to be too much in good condition but a quick google search says this one is decent

I guess best bet is just to take it into a shop and maybe do a quick search to give me an idea of value before hand

They are from the 60’s-70’s. Lots of weird ones I’ve never heard of (Kid Colt Outlaw?), Archie’s but definitely some DC and Marvel ones too. Looks like some have been stamped by the store they were bought at too.

Last edited by spetch; 11-19-2022 at 07:45 PM.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #498
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Ongoing Comic Books Thread

Quote:
There doesn’t seem to be too much in good condition but a quick google search says this one is decent

I guess best bet is just to take it into a shop and maybe do a quick search to give me an idea of value before hand

They are from the 60’s-70’s. Lots of weird ones I’ve never heard of (Kid Colt Outlaw?), Archie’s but definitely some DC and Marvel ones too. Looks like some have been stamped by the store they were bought at too.

I spent some time discussing this with some local shops when I dug out my old collection, and they said guides are “ok” for pricing, but they also go by completed eBay sales. Guides list a price range, but doesn’t mean any are moving for that price. Was there a recent or pending movie with that character, etc, and does that trigger a flood of sales. Also a big difference if you get it CGC certified, and that is only worth it at a certain price point. Think it costs something like $25 each, so the comic has to be worth more than $25 uncertified before you consider it, but it can make a huge difference on more valuable comics. Do you sell each individually, auction a block, etc. Much more complicated than I was hoping it would be.

Quick look says this one could fetch some $$$ since it had several bids.

Last edited by Brendone; 11-19-2022 at 09:37 PM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2022, 10:00 PM   #499
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

With that era there could definitely be some value. And first appearance of ghost rider is a legit key comic find. Getting some of them CGC graded could have some real value if you want to make some coin.

Edit: those eBay thought are not representative of the value. Im no expert at grading books but that book is probably more like a 3 or a 4 instead of a 7 that went for $2600. It might be worth half that. Still a great find though!

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-19-2022 at 10:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #500
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Spent the afternoon yesterday organizing my collection. It'd been a few years and I had to pick up another long box to make some room. I have a couple more long boxes with a decent Uncanny X-Men run (140-544).

I'm going to cull a few series that don't have any sentimental value and sell them. I've caught the bug to pick up some back issues to fill out a few series.

I'm a few early issues of Sandman to finish the series.

I'm going to try to get Uncanny X-Men from 100 to 544. Before 100 it just gets a little too expensive. I have 18 issues to track down so if anyone is has any of the following and is willing to part with them I'm open to chatting (138, 136, 134, 132, 129, 121, 120, 115, 113, 111, 109, 108, 106, 105, 104, 103, 101, 100).

As well as a few odds and ends of missing issues I should be able to slowly pick up from sales.