Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #1221
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
My condo building recently had the option to install EV chargers using the government subsidy. Just completed and all in I paid about $3,200.00 for it. I was actually surprised that only about 1/3 of the units elected to have one installed.

Looking at EVs now to take the plunge.

Anyone have thoughts on Polestar 2? I've always loved the Volvo brand, wondering if it is as similar?

Other options i like are the Ionic 5 and the Genysis EV
It looks better than a Tesla, but slapping an ipad in the center of the dashboard still seems incredibly lazy. I'm holding off on an EV until I can buy one that actually looks like a car, not a tablet on wheels
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #1222
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It looks better than a Tesla, but slapping an ipad in the center of the dashboard still seems incredibly lazy. I'm holding off on an EV until I can buy one that actually looks like a car, not a tablet on wheels

Yeah. I have not understood the added necessity for extra tech in the car. I think most normal drivers just want a car that operates from an alternate power source. Not a complete paradigm shift in driving.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:50 AM   #1223
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Also it looks like the steering wheel controls on the Polestar are capacitive buttons, which as proven by VW in the new Golf is a terrible idea
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #1224
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

going overboard on electronics will just make the cars obsolete faster...not sure how that is better for the environment.

Also, people that get a new car every few years shouldn't be smug about their commitment to saving the planet.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:28 PM   #1225
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
going overboard on electronics will just make the cars obsolete faster...not sure how that is better for the environment.

Also, people that get a new car every few years shouldn't be smug about their commitment to saving the planet.
Somewhat agree, but presumably their previous car isn't going straight to the junkyard. We should buy a lot less new stuff in general, but buying a Tesla and adding a Prius to the used market is a net positive.

There are a lot of better examples of actually wasteful 'eco-friendly' purchase decisions
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:34 PM   #1226
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why do some of you think ICE cars are not loaded with electronic modules?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:28 PM   #1227
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I feel like the tablet-on-wheels is here to stay - for both EV and ICE vehicles.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 08:45 PM   #1228
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like the tablet-on-wheels is here to stay - for both EV and ICE vehicles.
I don't. It's an 'electric-cars-are-cool-let's-make-them-look-techy' fad.

The Etron GT looks like a car instead of a Starbucks lounge and is getting almost universal raves as a result.

I think the ipad dash will be passe very quickly
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:30 PM   #1229
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
My condo building recently had the option to install EV chargers using the government subsidy. Just completed and all in I paid about $3,200.00 for it. I was actually surprised that only about 1/3 of the units elected to have one installed.

Looking at EVs now to take the plunge.

Anyone have thoughts on Polestar 2? I've always loved the Volvo brand, wondering if it is as similar?

Other options i like are the Ionic 5 and the Genysis EV
Polestar 2 looks like a great car with good range, decent acceleration and quality build/modern interior. I like it and expect build quality is very good but I would wait for improvements on their charging capability as currently they max out at 150kw and it drops off quick below 100kw after hitting 50% of total charge. Polestar claims they can charge from 0-80% in 40 min.

In comparison, Tesla Model 3 (400V system) starts charging up to 250kw and then drops to 150kw around 40% with 10-80% about 30min. Ioniq 5/EV6 (800V systems) have flatter charging curves maxing out around 230kw and can charge 10-80% in about 18min. Mach E and ID4 are both slower (400V architecture) than Model 3 but have had updates that have helped. Genesis will have 800V system similar to Ioniq5 and similar fast charging times (22 min reported for 10-80%). I didn't realize Genesis was Hyundai though so not surprising they are comparable.

Most charging is done at home/work (AC slow charging) but its still an important thing to consider especially if you like to road trip. I assume as the standard and infrastructure gets better for fast charging resale value will hold up much better for EVs that are comparable to Tesla's standard or better. I wouldn't even consider Toyota's or Subaru's new EVs with rumored fast charging below 100kw. Its embarrassing how far behind they appear to be.

Canadians in particular really should do their research on how well the EV does in cold temperatures. Tesla has a good battery system that preconditions for charging and helps range in sub 0C but still loses a lot of its range at very cold temperatures. Ioniq 5 and EV6 both have battery warmers and heat pumps in Canadian models so design is good but they do not work great at this time. Based on European updates they should have improvements with preconditioning even with the current 2022 vehicles by next winter. This isn't a problem in moderate climates like Vancouver Island but its definitely something I would research in most of Canada for each EV as some brands really suffer. AC slow charging isn't affected as bad and having your EV in a garage is going to help range a lot starting with a warm battery so might be less of a concern. Do your research though carefully. With a garage with level 2 charging paid for I would absolutely recommend an EV to most but not so much for people stuck with their EV outside during cold winters where range can be decreased by ~50% in sub -20C weather.

If you have any specific questions about Ioniq 5 let me know. I have lots of good things to say and a few bad things too after owning for 4 months. For the price I do think its by far the best value for the battery system, design and tech you can get at least for 2022. Although given wait times for all EVs start considering what 2023 has to offer and think about getting a deposit down.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 09:45 PM   #1230
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do EV's in general compare with ICE for cabin temp warm up time?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:51 PM   #1231
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

The Etron GT looks like a car instead of a Starbucks lounge and is getting almost universal raves as a result.

Its still has a 10.1" infotainment screen so not much different at least in size than every other EV that isn't a Tesla. Don't get me wrong its a very nice design but for 130k starting I like Taycan or Lucid air better personally.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #1232
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like "you're a ####ing idiot if you can't figure out how to use an EV" is not the winning strategy you think it is. Do you per chance work for the DNC?
Old 05-14-2022, 09:56 PM   #1233
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
Its still has a 10.1" infotainment screen so not much different at least in size than every other EV that isn't a Tesla. Don't get me wrong its a very nice design but for 130k starting I like Taycan or Lucid air better personally.
The screen is built into the dash. And it has a bunch of actual buttons for some functions. And the entire interior is designed like an ice vehicle. No comparison at all.

Vehicles have to have a screen. There is a difference between that and ONLY having a screen
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #1234
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
How do EV's in general compare with ICE for cabin temp warm up time?
You don't have to wait for the engine to warm up. It has a separate electrical heater so heat comes on almost immediately. That is why range is affected so poorly because you have to use the battery for the heater. With an ICE they are so inefficient the heat can just be captured from the engine but they do take way longer to warm up.

The other great thing about EVs are when they are plugged in you can schedule or manually start climate control and warm the vehicle with little loss from the battery before departure. So you get in a warm vehicle before even leaving and since its plugged in doesn't drain the battery at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 10:10 PM   #1235
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The screen is built into the dash. And it has a bunch of actual buttons for some functions. And the entire interior is designed like an ice vehicle. No comparison at all.

Vehicles have to have a screen. There is a difference between that and ONLY having a screen
So Ioniq 5 has all the normal buttons below the infotainment controlling climate and media. I can understand why you wouldn't compare them (50k vs 130k) but they do have a similar layout. The Ioniq 5 screen is 12.1 inches and does stick out but still has buttons below just like a normal ICE and very similar layout on the steering wheel as the GT.

I do see what you mean with it sticking out for most EVs though and that extreme will likely die out to be more subtle.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:54 AM   #1236
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

savagegeese lives up to the name and goes full cobra chicken on the Mercedes EQS:
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #1237
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

IMO it's here to stay and VAG is not a great brand to tout as they are the industry leaders in overuse of haptic buttons that are just as bad. It saves auto manufacturers money, streamlines manufacturing and I don't think they will go back because of this. I do think that some automakers will continue to offer buttons and knobs for climate control but it's going to be iPad like screens in cars going forward and it's just a matter of differentiations in shapes and styling.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #1238
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well we pulled the trigger and managed to get a new Bolt EUV. We are almost a week into this new electric vehicle world and it has been great so far. Definitely has enough range to be a relaxing experience. My wife did her High River commute and was able to charge there on the level 2 without any issues.

We did a Banff trip on holiday monday and had lots of range and were able to utilize the free charger at the trailhead and returned after our hike to a full battery for the trip home.

We are just waiting for the level 2 charging port install in our garage but so far this has been a very positive experience. Very comfortable vehicle that handles really well and is finished inside very nicely. Options inside are premium.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 08:53 AM   #1239
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Well we pulled the trigger and managed to get a new Bolt EUV. We are almost a week into this new electric vehicle world and it has been great so far. Definitely has enough range to be a relaxing experience. My wife did her High River commute and was able to charge there on the level 2 without any issues.

We did a Banff trip on holiday monday and had lots of range and were able to utilize the free charger at the trailhead and returned after our hike to a full battery for the trip home.

We are just waiting for the level 2 charging port install in our garage but so far this has been a very positive experience. Very comfortable vehicle that handles really well and is finished inside very nicely. Options inside are premium.
I'm very curious about this vehicle so any other updates would be greatly appreciated. I feel like it would fit my needs. Did yours come with all the battery updates?
Old 05-31-2022, 05:33 PM   #1240
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

The Delorian is back, and electric!

NSFW!

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/30/2...ged-ev-revival