Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2022, 05:43 PM   #61
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the scene where Wanda destroys the Illuminati, there's a big statue of a woman who looks like Wonder Woman in the room. Obviously, that's not who it is, but I couldn't figure out who it was.

Does anyone know?
Old 05-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #62
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
In the scene where Wanda destroys the Illuminati, there's a big statue of a woman who looks like Wonder Woman in the room. Obviously, that's not who it is, but I couldn't figure out who it was.

Does anyone know?
Nobody seems to know. Even Reddit had no good answers. Given that it’s an alternate universe it could have been practically anyone, man or woman in the 616.

As for the movie, it was ok. I liked that it felt different, plot was ok, the lack of multiverses was disappointing. Thought we’d see more than one. Illuminati all getting killed in 5 minutes was kinda lame but still cool to see them.

It would be easy enough to get the basic gist of things without Wandavision but without it, her heel turn might feel too fast.

I liked it more than ShangChi and Eternals.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:00 PM   #63
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Does anyone know?
I've read speculation that it may have been Jacosta, the bride of Ultron. It would fit with the abundance of Ultron drones running around.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:58 AM   #64
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched this tonight.

I found it...meh. Visually spectacular, and I enjoyed all the cameos and things.

But I was worried that with the TV shows starting to really proliferate, that they would become required watching to watch the movies. I have no interest in the tv shows, so now I'm left feeling like I tried to read the summer cross-over event by catching most of the main books, missing some of the side-books and the Annual, reading the finale and trying to sort out how we got from A to B with chunks missing.

Guess I'm just finding my interest in the MCU waning, especially if I have to do 'homework' that I'm not interested in to keep up.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 05-17-2022 at 01:03 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:56 AM   #65
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post

I found it...meh. Visually spectacular, and I enjoyed all the cameos and things.

But I was worried that with the TV shows starting to really proliferate, that they would become required watching to watch the movies. I have no interest in the tv shows, so now I'm left feeling like I tried to read the summer cross-over event by catching most of the main books, missing some of the side-books and the Annual, reading the finale and trying to sort out how we got from A to B with chunks missing.

Guess I'm just finding my interest in the MCU waning, especially if I have to do 'homework' that I'm not interested in to keep up.
That could be a problem. For the most part I enjoy the Disney+ shows so keeping up hasn't been a problem. But yeah, it needs to be manageable.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #66
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post

I usually try to watch Raimi movies being a huge fan of the Evil Dead but like you I have no desire to watch the Marvel TV series (I tried with Wandavision but I'm just not the type of person that can appreciate whatever that was) and it sounds like the experience is based around knowledge of those series so probably a pass for me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:38 PM   #67
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Going into this movie I had heard so much hype about potential cameo's which never actually appeared in the movie, I feel like this set up a lot of people for disappointment. (Magneto, Wolverine, Deadpool, Tom Cruise' Ironman)

I enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't put it in the category of Infinity War or Endgame. I really enjoyed seeing how Thanos was defeated by the Illuminati in this universe though, bonus points for showing another scenario where the good guys win against the infinity stones (by the way, in that clip they show thanos impaled by a sword I think, anyone know where/who that could of come from)?

Also, kudos for making the fight scene with the illuminati pretty dark lol I imagine Reed Richards getting spaghettied and Blackbolt having his big brain moment was pretty gnarly for younger audiences but I loved it.

Also, I've seen some fan theory's about how Dr. Strange's nemesis was left alive and he's sorcerer supreme in that universe, perhaps he'll just use the time stone to ressurect the Illuminati (like how Thanos did with Vision) and it sets up a future conflict with our known universe.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I usually try to watch Raimi movies being a huge fan of the Evil Dead but like you I have no desire to watch the Marvel TV series (I tried with Wandavision but I'm just not the type of person that can appreciate whatever that was) and it sounds like the experience is based around knowledge of those series so probably a pass for me.
You don’t really need to watch Wandavision at all to get this.

She went crazy, created a fake reality where she had kids, snapped out of it temporarily but now she’s crazy again and wants her fake reality kids back.

They give you all of that in about two minutes worth exposition during the first act.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #69
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

While that brief bit of exposition catches people up, it doesn't deal with the depths of why Wanda made that reality in the first place, how much suffering she's endured, and why she might become unhinged when exposed to a dark force like the darkhold (which seemingly corrupted Strange as well).

Honestly, if you watch Wandavision right before going to see this, her motivations seem totally relatable and you get an emotional connection with the villain. This has been the strength of the better MCU films, having villains that are relatable in some way. It's why Shang Chi worked, as well as the whole Thanos arc.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #70
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Going into this movie I had heard so much hype about potential cameo's which never actually appeared in the movie, I feel like this set up a lot of people for disappointment. (Magneto, Wolverine, Deadpool, Tom Cruise' Ironman)
Yet if they didn't give it away that Captain Picard was in it that would have exceeded expectations in that regard. Add in white agent Woo cameo as Mr. Fantastic and that would have been more than enough.

But then they show the Illumanati in the trailer and the voice over. I get that it's a business case to release that to hype the movie and get people talking, but imagine going in in blind to both this and seeing Professor X and No Way Home and seeing Tobey.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 02:02 PM   #71
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Yet if they didn't give it away that Captain Picard was in it that would have exceeded expectations in that regard. Add in white agent Woo cameo as Mr. Fantastic and that would have been more than enough.

But then they show the Illumanati in the trailer and the voice over. I get that it's a business case to release that to hype the movie and get people talking, but imagine going in in blind to both this and seeing Professor X and No Way Home and seeing Tobey.
I agree, if they really wanted to have a big moment for the crowd, they could have had the exact same marketing campaign, but only showed the yellow hover chair with no Stewart indication, and only shown the backside of the shield with no Union Jack indications. It would have completely changed the experience and still created the same expectations.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 03:08 PM   #72
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Watched this last night, aside from the first teaser I had ignored all media about the movie so it was a wild ride. I had completely forgotten that Raimi directed MoM, and about 30 minutes in I told my wife "This kinda reminds me of Sam Raimi's movies". Then Bruce showed up and it all became clear, and the rest of the movie just went balls to the wall Raiminess. I never thought I'd see Evil Dead referenced so clearly in a Marvel movie but it was awesome

Biggest complaint was America Chavez, they really needed to give her something to do to earn control over her powers, having it be from a Strange peptalk was just lazy
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:42 PM   #73
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
While that brief bit of exposition catches people up, it doesn't deal with the depths of why Wanda made that reality in the first place, how much suffering she's endured, and why she might become unhinged when exposed to a dark force like the darkhold (which seemingly corrupted Strange as well).

Honestly, if you watch Wandavision right before going to see this, her motivations seem totally relatable and you get an emotional connection with the villain. This has been the strength of the better MCU films, having villains that are relatable in some way. It's why Shang Chi worked, as well as the whole Thanos arc.
Not really. Everything you needed to know happened in Age of Ultron and IW. Wandavision was largely unnecessary. This really could have been a Wanda movie featuring Dr Strange and they would have achieved the same result. It just would have been 20 minutes longer.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #74
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was not a very good movie. "Me too kid... me too". Yawn.

I actually forgot that Sam Raimi was the director until I saw Bruce Campbell. The Evil Dead 2 call back was maybe the most joy I got out of watching it. I thought it was incredibly poorly written - maybe cheese is an inextricable part of Sam Raimi movies, I don't know, but I don't need the decomposing possessed corpse winking at the spunky young girl any more than I need the cartoonish, over the top, suddenly horrendously evil and willing to torture and murder former heroine. I guess I don't have enough marvel background to understand the effect of the Darkhold, maybe.

The last Marvel entry, No Way Home, I thought was plagued by terrible logic and just a generally broken structure, but the writing was fine and some of the performances were actually really good, and it had several characters I just enjoyed watching. This was kind of the opposite - unless there were things I missed (maybe there were, I was probably pretty distracted given how I was watching it, see below) the structure and pacing of the story were perfectly fine. I just didn't think there were any particularly strong performances, the material the cast were given to work with sub-par, and as a result I didn't care all that much about... anyone. Heroes or villains.

Overall I just found it to be utterly unsubtle and by the same token, about six inches deep. I thought Wandavision had at least some nuance to it.

Anyway, separate note: I saw this in 4DX, which was pretty interesting and I think was probably the best way to see it. I'll probably watch future Marvel movies the same way. It was certainly very pretty to look at, and in the 4DX setting it was more of an amusement park ride than a straight-up film, so it ended up being a pretty fun way to spend two hours of entertainment... whereas I think if I'd watched it at home on my couch it would not have been a good way to spend that time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #75
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
If I think about the backstory on that, I think that maybe the Illuminati overlook Wanda because she's not a threat in their universe. Maybe she's only a threat in one. Whereas Strange is a threat in many, but maybe only a hero in one? I dunno. Lots of ways to think about it.
I think this was it, they were over confident based on the Wanda they have in their own universe, not realizing this one had touched that forbidden book or whatever and had a much higher level of powers.

I thought it was actually kind of neat how they set that up just to be completely dismantled. This Wanda, pre book, went toe to toe with Thanos Prime and would have ripped him apart if it wasn't for the gunship. Didn't seem like the other Wanda was much of a combatant but more family orientated.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #76
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

Does anyone know?
According to the Sam Raimi commentary, it was Xena warrior princess.

There are two more unidentified figures that are still not identified.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 01:16 AM   #77
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Audio commentaries were one of the highlights of the DVD era. I learned more about the film industry than from any class I took
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:24 AM   #78
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This was not a very good movie. "Me too kid... me too". Yawn.

I actually forgot that Sam Raimi was the director until I saw Bruce Campbell. The Evil Dead 2 call back was maybe the most joy I got out of watching it. I thought it was incredibly poorly written - maybe cheese is an inextricable part of Sam Raimi movies, I don't know, but I don't need the decomposing possessed corpse winking at the spunky young girl any more than I need the cartoonish, over the top, suddenly horrendously evil and willing to torture and murder former heroine. I guess I don't have enough marvel background to understand the effect of the Darkhold, maybe.

The last Marvel entry, No Way Home, I thought was plagued by terrible logic and just a generally broken structure, but the writing was fine and some of the performances were actually really good, and it had several characters I just enjoyed watching. This was kind of the opposite - unless there were things I missed (maybe there were, I was probably pretty distracted given how I was watching it, see below) the structure and pacing of the story were perfectly fine. I just didn't think there were any particularly strong performances, the material the cast were given to work with sub-par, and as a result I didn't care all that much about... anyone. Heroes or villains.

Overall I just found it to be utterly unsubtle and by the same token, about six inches deep. I thought Wandavision had at least some nuance to it.

Anyway, separate note: I saw this in 4DX, which was pretty interesting and I think was probably the best way to see it. I'll probably watch future Marvel movies the same way. It was certainly very pretty to look at, and in the 4DX setting it was more of an amusement park ride than a straight-up film, so it ended up being a pretty fun way to spend two hours of entertainment... whereas I think if I'd watched it at home on my couch it would not have been a good way to spend that time.
If that didn't evoke a #### eating grin from you then i don't know why you watch movies.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:29 AM   #79
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1543678120632500230

Last edited by KTrain; 07-05-2022 at 06:31 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:24 AM   #80
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a solid 6/10. Maybe 6.5/10.

Nothing memorable though. Some cool scenes.