Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #541
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Netflix is pretty cheap for their amount of content. I feel like you never know when something like Squid Game or Dark comes out of nowhere.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:17 PM   #542
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Been saying it for a while. Netflix is easily last in terms of content and value.

Crave/HBO is first, then Disney, then Amazon and Netflix pulling up the rear. They have more good content than Prime but Netflix has almost no good new shows and at least amazon has prime shipping.

If it weren’t for password sharing, I wouldn’t have a Netflix account. If they ever restrict it, I’ll cancel and only ever subscribe to binge a new show.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:04 PM   #543
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Aside from rewatching old shows, I don't really use Netflix for their own shows. The last original I enjoyed was The Queen's Gambit. It's sad because Netflix has the best user experience and interface of the streaming services, but I have little desire to watch their shows.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #544
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dr. Strange 2 pulls in $36 mill yesterday, looking at a $180-$220 mill opening weekend
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #545
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Impressive start at the box office for Strange 2 at the box office!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1523328123261050880
Old 05-15-2022, 11:36 AM   #546
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit of a larger 2nd weekend drop for Dr. Strange 2 than normal

https://twitter.com/user/status/1525851716700323840
Old 05-16-2022, 08:06 AM   #547
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Bit of a larger 2nd weekend drop for Dr. Strange 2 than normal

https://twitter.com/user/status/1525851716700323840
The major drop came on the Friday. Obviously the presale affect with the built in marvel fan base was huge hit this one.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:07 AM   #548
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

That drop likely makes 1 billion a stretch without China/Russia/Ukraine.

With 400ish Dom it would need a 60/40 split which they don’t quite reach without China.

I think there is an interesting question on if this drop is due to poor reception or if it’s due to it being marketed as an essential game change for the MCU and just being a Strange / Wanda movie. Or perhaps one feeds the other.

It goes to my larger theory that the expectations for a connected universe have gone too far and people have head cannoned how connected the first 3 phases of Marvel were and that leads to complaints about how these last few movies aren’t connected enough.

Last edited by GGG; 05-16-2022 at 11:11 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #549
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That drop likely makes 1 billion a stretch without China/Russia/Ukraine.

With 400ish Dom it would need a 60/40 split which they don’t quite reach without China.

I think there is an interesting question on if this drop is due to poor reception or if it’s due to it being marketed as an essential game change for the MCU and just being a Strange / Wanda movie. Or perhaps one feeds the other.

It goes to my larger theory that the expectations for a connected universe have gone too far and people have head cannoned how connected the first 3 phases of Marvel were and that leads to complaints about how these last few movies aren’t connected enough.
I wouldn't necessarily call this a disappointment. It's pretty much on par with all the other Marvel movies of this magnitude. DS2 will fall somewhere in the Thor Ragnarok to GotG range. Kind of what you'd expect. This isn't a massive even type film and it isn't going to draw in the extra audience the way a Spiderman or Black Panther movie would.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #550
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this movie should be considered a huge success considering the first Dr Strange brought in $230 domestically and $677 world wide.

The next superhero film to come out in 2022 in Thor 4, I fully expect that to be a top 3 film at the box office this year.
Old 05-21-2022, 12:30 PM   #551
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m excited to what top gun does. Hope in can crack the 100 million 3 day and maybe 120 4 day.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:44 PM   #552
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

TopGun is killing it at the box office. Looking like a 120 3-day and 150 4-day.

And because it skews older should have good legs. It’s got a shot at 400.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 10:11 PM   #553
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very happy for Top Guns success, been a long time a non superhero movie opened that large, great for the industry!
Old 05-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #554
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Very happy for Top Guns success, been a long time a non superhero movie opened that large, great for the industry!
It’s still an IP property playing off nostalgia so I don’t think it’s meaningfully different than a CBM despite the narrative being pushed.

The problem right now is a lack of original content that makes money at the box office.

Everything Everywhere’s success is the really exciting one right now and it just keeps going. Hopefully in can maintain its theatre count past Jurassic Park
Old 05-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #555
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Original IP movies need to sneak between the sequels and superhero stuff or go for the quiet release dates to have a chance at the #1 movie on a weekend. Animated movies and horrors seem to be able to do it. The Lost City did it this year.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:20 PM   #556
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

What theater in Calgary has the best audio and video currently? Is it still the Chinook IMAX?

I want to see Top Gun with the best technical experience.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:32 PM   #557
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top Gun legs are insane right now.

Aladdin which had a 90 million 3 day Memorial Day weekend and almost a 4x multiple on the 3 day had drops of 52% Monday/Tuesday and another 37% Tuesday Wednesday.

Despite a bigger open top gun has more or less the same 53%Monday Tuesday drop but only a roughly 10% drop Tues/Wed with a 14 mil+ Wednesday.

This could be leading to a sub 50% 2nd weekend drop and a 4+ multiplier which puts 500 million domestic in play.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #558
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Top Gun legs are insane right now.

Aladdin which had a 90 million 3 day Memorial Day weekend and almost a 4x multiple on the 3 day had drops of 52% Monday/Tuesday and another 37% Tuesday Wednesday.

Despite a bigger open top gun has more or less the same 53%Monday Tuesday drop but only a roughly 10% drop Tues/Wed with a 14 mil+ Wednesday.

This could be leading to a sub 50% 2nd weekend drop and a 4+ multiplier which puts 500 million domestic in play.
Looks like delaying the release over and over is paying off.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:07 PM   #559
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
What theater in Calgary has the best audio and video currently? Is it still the Chinook IMAX?

I want to see Top Gun with the best technical experience.
I don't know the answer, but crowfoot crossing renovated their theaters about 2 or 3 years ago (right before COVID, as I recall?), and the two UltraAVX auditoriums are incredible. I don't think I could go see a movie in theatre any other way.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 06-02-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:34 PM   #560
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't know Crowfoot renovated. Will try them sometime. Gave up on them many years ago.

We saw Top Gun in IMAX at Chinook. Video and sound were good, but the seats totally suck compared to the recliners that I've now gotten used too.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote