Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2022, 09:38 AM   #661
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The franchise has been terrible outside of the 80's.

For my entire life that I can remember (born in 88) the Flames have been at best mediocre with one good playoff run, and a couple of good regular seasons (05-06, 18-19, 21-22)

But really maybe the problems start with the fan base. As a fan base I feel like the Flames fan base is very negative and pessimistic compared to other fan bases, and really based on the results we've had as a team it's justified. But sometimes I think that maybe that carries through to the players who also don't seem to believe in themselves or that they can actually win a big game or series.

We make fun of Oilers fans for being too Optimistic but even though that franchise has been even worse than ours for the last 20 years they still always go into every season believing that the team will be good.

Maybe this fanbase could actually use a little more of that and be a little more optimistic. I feel like coming into this series the entire fanbase was tense and nervous about this series, where I felt the Oilers fanbase was more positive and were cherishing the opportunity for the BOA...maybe it shouldn't be surprising that it appears that seems to have carried over to the teams too.

Flames have looked tense and nervous, Oilers have looked extremely confident. The on ice play has matched the fan base mentalities coming into the series.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-26-2022 at 09:44 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 09:39 AM   #662
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 39 View Post
I stated my explanation and its getting very late where I am so I’m off to bed. I do hope the Flames pull off a miracle but I’m not optimistic. Happy to be wrong.
Pretty easy for the 80s Oilers to be confident when you have prime ####ing Wayne on your team lol.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:49 AM   #663
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The franchise has been terrible outside of the 80's.

For my entire life that I can remember (born in 88) the Flames have been at best mediocre with one good playoff run, and a couple of good regular seasons (05-06, 18-19, 21-22)

But really maybe the problems start with the fan base. As a fan base I feel like the Flames fan base is very negative and pessimistic compared to other fan bases, and really based on the results we've had as a team it's justified. But sometimes I think that maybe that carries through to the players who also don't seem to believe in themselves or that they can actually win a big game or series.

We make fun of Oilers fans for being too Optimistic but even though that franchise has been even worse than ours for the last 20 years they still always go into every season believing that the team will be good.

Maybe this fanbase could actually use a little more of that and be a little more optimistic.
Flames fans have generally stuck with the team through thick and thin, and will continue to do so. They have no impact on team management or the on ice play. I don't know how you look at the Calgary crowds, especially at playoff time and think they are negative. Its not up to the fans to make the big plays.

And I would also argue that Calgary isn't even close to one of the most difficult markets if you are talking about public pressure. Oilers fans were throwing jersey's on the ice multiple times each year, let's not pretend they have some upper hand on positivity. In sports the fans respond to what the team does.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #664
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
If I am interpreting the info from this site (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...playoff_series) correctly I think this is what you are looking for, the number of series won since 1992 (30 years ago) by each team.
And when you prorate based on how long each team has existed over the time period since 1992 (Kraken omitted due to lack of seasons):

2.9 - Blue Jackets
3 - Coyotes/Jets
4.1 - Jets/Thrashers
4.3 - Panthers
5.7 - Wild
6 - Flames
9 - Islanders
9 - Oilers
9.1 - Predators
11 - Maple Leafs
11 - Senators
12 - Sabres
14 - Canucks
14 - Capitals
14 - Hurricanes/Whalers
14 - Kings
15 - Blues
16 - Ducks
17 - Canadiens
19 - Bruins
19 - Flyers
20 - Rangers
20 - Sharks
20 - Stars
23 - Avalanche/Nordiques
23 - Devils
24 - Blackhawks
24 - Lightning
32 - Penguins
33 - Red Wings
42 - Knights

So there's basically three groups in the data... 6 teams that have done very poorly (6 or fewer series wins), 7 teams doing exceptionally well (23 or more series wins), and the other 18 teams in the middle group (between 9 and 20 series wins). There's a noticable disparity in the data. Things are hardly "balancing out over time".

Last edited by Mathgod; 05-26-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 03:45 PM   #665
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

nm
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:23 PM   #666
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a Mathgod, you sure don’t know what the term outlier means.
V is offline   Reply With Quote