Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #1261
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well, depends on what you consider struggling

Like Sutter said, the Flames didn’t have elite game breaking talent and need to play by committee

Well, Markstrom was playing behind D
- either without Tanev, or with Tanev with dislocated shoulder
- with Zadorov having broken ribs
- Kylington with a shoulder injury

They were lined up against a team with top offensive players, the game was wide open and mistakes were made

Other than the first game and the soft OT winner (let’s ignore the cough up), did he really struggle, or did he play behind an outmatched team and get lit up by star talent?

Smith is facing the same kind of thing and getting the same kind of results, no?

He struggled.

He was a Vezina finalist with a 0.922 save % and 2.22 GAA this season.

Against the oilers he was 0.884 save % and 3.54 GAA in the regular season and even worse in the playoffs.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #1262
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He struggled.

He was a Vezina finalist with a 0.922 save % and 2.22 GAA this season.

Against the oilers he was 0.884 save % and 3.54 GAA in the regular season and even worse in the playoffs.

Sure. And the Vezina is mainly a team award and he faced much more difficult scoring chances than against most other teams

I think it got to him by the end, we agree there. The OT winner should have been saved
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #1263
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Sure. And the Vezina is mainly a team award and he faced much more difficult scoring chances than against most other teams

I think it got to him by the end, we agree there. The OT winner should have been saved
Not until the playoffs.

During the regular season the Flames dominated the oilers in all 4 games but only won two of them, and one of those was the 8-5 debacle.

Markstrom, for some reason, is putrid against the oilers.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:23 PM   #1264
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Oilers is a flaw team. Anybody can beat them. The Kings almost beat team. A backup goalie shut them out.

Well, any team with a half decent goalie

Smith can’t stop ####
Well, it's a good thing that Markstrom is in fact much better than just a "half decent goalie." Half-decent goalies do not garner Vezina consideration.

But as for Markstrom and the Oilers I would say his poor results have been more of a product of how the team plays in front of him in these games. For whatever reason, the Flames as a whole seem to struggle against the Oilers. But, even if we concede that Markstrom bears the lion's share of the results for the entire second round series, this can happen to even the best goaltender. Igor Shesterkin will win the Vezina this year on the strength of an historic single-seadon performance, and he also finds himself playing in the Conference Finals. Shesterkin's numbers v. the Flames are abysmal, because sometimes this happens. Not because a goalie is a poor player, but because they are human.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #1265
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, it's a good thing that Markstrom is in fact much better than just a "half decent goalie." Half-decent goalies do not garner Vezina consideration.

But as for Markstrom and the Oilers I would say his poor results have been more of a product of how the team plays in front of him in these games. For whatever reason, the Flames as a whole seem to struggle against the Oilers. But, even if we concede that Markstrom bears the lion's share of the results for the entire second round series, this can happen to even the best goaltender. Igor Shesterkin will win the Vezina this year on the strength of an historic single-seadon performance, and he also finds himself playing in the Conference Finals. Shesterkin's numbers v. the Flames are abysmal, because sometimes this happens. Not because a goalie is a poor player, but because they are human.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
So far the only stellar goalie performances over an extended time are Markstrom v. Oettinger in round one. All of the marquee goalies have had issues.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #1266
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm with Deluxe on this one to an extent.

Markstrom didn't make enough high danger saves, if he made a few more they'd have gone 7 and maybe won the series.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Flames leaked what looked like Grade A++++ chances.

The stats world can't differentiate between high danger counts right now, but they're not all created equal and it sure appeared to me that the Oilers got the higher end chances.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #1267
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm with Deluxe on this one to an extent.

Markstrom didn't make enough high danger saves, if he made a few more they'd have gone 7 and maybe won the series.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Flames leaked what looked like Grade A++++ chances.

The stats world can't differentiate between high danger counts right now, but they're not all created equal and it sure appeared to me that the Oilers got the higher end chances.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #1268
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both can be true - the Flames gave up too many grade A chances, but also, Markstrom didn't make enough saves. One or two bad goals in a series - probably about normal. But he had half a dozen go under his glove. And that's just one type of example. He completely lost his positioning too many times to count.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: