Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #41
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
And of course he went and got himself injured at the exact wrong time, so he couldn't be traded for squat even if Treliving wanted to.

Just an overall unfortunate mess.
At least we managed to get Forbert and Gustufson. So not all bad, probably for the better long term.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #42
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Why lament the Hamonic trade. You have no idea how the last couple seasons would play out without that happening. Seems like we are in a good spot right now, who knows where we would be had it not happened.
If you give up your precious first round pick, then proceed to MISS THE PLAYOFFS, that's as disastrous as it gets. Fans are well within their rights to continue to rue the trade.

Yes ultimately things may have worked out, I guess. But that's like Oiler fans saying Welp! The past 15 years of losing were totally worth every minute because we got Connor!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #43
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If you give up your precious first round pick, then proceed to MISS THE PLAYOFFS, that's as disastrous as it gets. Fans are well within their rights to continue to rue the trade.

Yes ultimately things may have worked out, I guess. But that's like Oiler fans saying Welp! The past 15 years of losing were totally worth every minute because we got Connor!
Especially since the player acquired was underwhelming and/or injured in his three year stint as a Flame, and is now leaving as a UFA for diddly squat.

Imagine having expansion exempt Noah Dobson floating around on the taxi squad right now? Maybe Flames take someone else, but the point stands, in hindsight the trade was a big misstep, and that's from someone who liked it at the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually could have lived with the first round pick. IMO it's the addition of the two 2nd round picks that totally crippled the Flames. Just too much draft capital to give up for a defenseman that isn't even a top pairing guy. I don't know who did the pro scouting on Hamonic but he wasn't exactly great for the Islanders in his last two seasons. We can debate the merit of +/- all day but how the heck does a sought after defensemen register a -21 in only 49 games played (his last season in NY)?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #45
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I actually could have lived with the first round pick. IMO it's the addition of the two 2nd round picks that totally crippled the Flames. Just too much draft capital to give up for a defenseman that isn't even a top pairing guy. I don't know who did the pro scouting on Hamonic but he wasn't exactly great for the Islanders in his last two seasons. We can debate the merit of +/- all day but how the heck does a sought after defensemen register a -21 in only 49 games played (his last season in NY)?
Pardon?

I get it wasn't the best deal, but totally crippled? haven't the Flames just made the playoffs in back to back years for the first time since 2009?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #46
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The trade could have been far worse had the Flames not beat Vegas on the last day of the year. Had that not happened the Flames would have swapped with the Canes and then hand the Islanders Svechnikov. Thank goodness that didn’t happen
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #47
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
You are overvaluing draft picks, by a lot. In my opinion.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #48
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

50-50 is back up!
Tickets will be available at 12:30 MDT.
Will be watched closely to ensure the system does not get over-ridden or malfunction, in which case it will be closed immediately.
Fingers crossed!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crippled... lol

The mention of Kris Russell illustrates perfectly how these things work: some better than expected, some worse. But they all blend together. And bad events result in higher draft picks later (and vise versa).

Giving up a couple extra 2nds does not cripple a franchise. Hell, we're going to get a 3rd back from the Lucic trade.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #50
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Pardon?

I get it wasn't the best deal, but totally crippled? haven't the Flames just made the playoffs in back to back years for the first time since 2009?
Crippled in the way of not much in the pipeline. Yeah the team is fairly young but imagine another first and two second round picks in the system right now. Even if only one of them became an NHL player, not to mention the assets you could acquire with that currency.

Hamonic was also a big reason we got bounced in 5 games last postseason.

I said it before and ill say it again, so glad he opted out, this is a much better team without the overrated Travis Hamonic.

Forbert is so much better in every metric.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #51
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Game 2: Flames vs Stars - 8:30pm

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293957302257455106

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293957125249675265

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 08-13-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #52
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crippled is a little strong, but watching Dube and Andersson come into their own right before our eyes should drive home the value of hanging onto 2nd round picks instead of trading them for over priced and over rated veteran NHLers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #53
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have the c word. I predict another win.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #54
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm not going to suggest I'd do the Hamonic trade with hindsight, clearly no one would.

But keep in mind his contract was a big part of the trade value as well. He was a second pairing guy in Calgary, but essentially had a 5/6 salary giving the Flames room to add other pieces and go for it during the window when he was here.

So it's not just pro scouting, it's contract value that made that move some what logical from a Flames standpoint.

Got the team a first place in the West, but they didn't get it done in the playoffs last year, and missed the year before that.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #55
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Crippled in the way of not much in the pipeline. Yeah the team is fairly young but imagine another first and two second round picks in the system right now. Even if only one of them became an NHL player, not to mention the assets you could acquire with that currency.

Hamonic was also a big reason we got bounced in 5 games last postseason.

I said it before and ill say it again, so glad he opted out, this is a much better team without the overrated Travis Hamonic.

Forbert is so much better in every metric.

Sure the Flames prospect pool is thin. But it is not some wasteland, between Pelletier, Valiamaki, Philips, and Pettersen there are enough player to challenge for spots next season. Totally crippled is a massive over reaction.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #56
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Wow what a fun GDT for a playoff game guys!

Whining about a trade for a player not even playing or on the team at this point.

I think the top line gets a couple goals tonight, and the 2A / 2B continue to dominate. Go Flames!
Old 08-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #57
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames could have signed any other D man available and kept the picks and had a better outcome. For all the pomp and circumstance that Hamonic had it really never materialized here.

Id be much happier having any one of the surrounding 5 players at that pick in the 18 draft. Not to mention the added bonus of having those two 2nd round picks as well. The farm wouldn't be as depleted and Hanifin wouldn't be the scapegoat he had become while suffering being paired with Hammer.

Hated spending the draft capital back then and still do. It wasn't the right time.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #58
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm coming to the sad realization that Hamonic wasn't great for the Flames. I let his warrior reputation cloud my judgement, but he just wasn't great defensively. I daresay, a glorified Kris Russell.

Trading the 1st for him at the time was iffy, but now it really seems like an egregiously bad trade by the GM. I guess you win some (Hanifin, Lindholm) and you lose some (Hamonic, Brouwer)
Anytime I hear about how someone is a stay-at-home defenceman combined with being a ''warrior'' on the ice, I cringe. That leads me to believe it's essentially a player with no offensive skill but fights, and who is likely labelled as such to justify him being on the team.

To me Hamonic was a player who was just barely serviceable in the NHL. I'm not saying that he was horrid by any means. But if you draw a line in the sand where players on one side are NHL caliber and the other side they are not, he was just barely on the right side. Sure he can play and skate in the NHL. But did he really do a lot to help you win? Was a go-to guy when it counts most? If you look at your roster before and after his departure would you miss him?

I think for his salary and personality he was decent enough. But eventually you need players to improve if you want your team to take the next step. The Hamonic-Hanifin pairing wasn't very good for the most part. Now Andersson-Hanifin is siginificantly better and it shows every night. To me Hamonic was player who is like a student getting 55% on his report card. And sometimes he'd even dip below that. I mean sure it's passing...but just barely and you want better.

I hate to rag on the guy since he's a great community and family man. I honestly hope he gets one last big contract before it's all said and done. Just not with us. But I hope he does.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #59
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Aka Bishop isn't 100% so we'll keep you in suspense as an ultimately pointless tactic until Khudobin steps on the ice for warmup.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #60
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Crippled is a strong word but valid points otherwise!
Closed Thread