Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Sportsnet....owning Canadian TV ratings

Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having 6 Canadian teams in the play-in most definitely helped the ratings.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serious question: does this mean there is actually potential for the Canadian TV deal to increase? Last I heard the american TV deal was for sure on the way up, but the 2 billion canadian deal was kind of a dog. Maybe this changes that balance.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Id love to see what the NHL/NBA/MLB splits look like. Especially the NBA/MLB numbers outside of Ontario.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Id love to see what the NHL/NBA/MLB splits look like. Especially the NBA/MLB numbers outside of Ontario.
If the Raptors go on a long run again this year once the playoffs start, they will garner massive ratings once again, but beyond that, the NHL numbers will dwarf all other sports.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

With so many folks still very uncomfortable with leaving their own homes for social purposes, this isn’t surprising at all.

We needed people to stay home, and so we also had to give them something to watch.

Playoff hockey in August is strange, but it’s inarguably compelling, and the public has been starved for live events to track.

It’s kinda hilarious to me that our culture, despite producing visual media for close to a hundred years, only had about 5 months of runway for content before we had to come to the players like “yeah... turns out you’re essential. Back to work.”
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The loss of the Leafs soon to be followed by the inevitable loss of the Habs will bite in to those ratings big time.

No Jets and Coilers is also bad news for them.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
The loss of the Leafs soon to be followed by the inevitable loss of the Habs will bite in to those ratings big time.

No Jets and Coilers is also bad news for them.
There’s still nothing to do and nowhere to go, at least during the week. As long as Covid is a prevalent thing, they’re going to have more eyeballs than they otherwise would.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
There’s still nothing to do and nowhere to go, at least during the week. As long as Covid is a prevalent thing, they’re going to have more eyeballs than they otherwise would.

I can’t disagree with that at all. But the unprecedented amount of Canadian teams was great for them. Unfortunately (for them) it has been followed by a precedented amount of Canadian eliminations.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Serious question: does this mean there is actually potential for the Canadian TV deal to increase? Last I heard the american TV deal was for sure on the way up, but the 2 billion canadian deal was kind of a dog. Maybe this changes that balance.
It won't have any impact in the short-term. There's still 6 years left on the Rogers deal.

Who knows what the media landscape will look like in 6 years when it's up for renewal?

Where it will probably be beneficial for the league and players this year is in reducing the amount of "make good" money they'll need to offer to the broadcast partners and sponsors for the shutdown.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
With so many folks still very uncomfortable with leaving their own homes for social purposes, this isn’t surprising at all.

We needed people to stay home, and so we also had to give them something to watch.

Playoff hockey in August is strange, but it’s inarguably compelling, and the public has been starved for live events to track.

It’s kinda hilarious to me that our culture, despite producing visual media for close to a hundred years, only had about 5 months of runway for content before we had to come to the players like “yeah... turns out you’re essential. Back to work.”
I don’t know anyone who is uncomfortable leaving their house these days. Young or old.

These numbers reflect the novelty and curiosity of this year’s playoff so far.

Personally I don’t think this is very exciting viewing to the casual fan. Feels like watching a mens league tournament. I expect these numbers to plummet
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #12
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I don’t know anyone who is uncomfortable leaving their house these days. Young or old.
I do. I may think they’re being overly dramatic and cautious to a fault, but they’re a not insignificant percentage of my immediate family.

I can only assume they’re not the only people who feel that way.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

Personally I don’t think this is very exciting viewing to the casual fan. Feels like watching a mens league tournament. I expect these numbers to plummet
You don't think there has been really good hockey played?

I havent heard that from anyone else.

The round robin games were really tame for the most part of the qualifiers were great stuff. That will only go up this and the next round.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

How is TSN doing?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #15
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is that really how it played out? I think it’s more that the NHL as a business, players and owners, wanted to get back to work and earning $$’s. And naturally they found a willing audience.

I know your comment was tongue in cheek but in the end, I don’t think many called hockey essential. They thought they could create a safe environment to run their business.

Although I would argue entertainment is as important now as it’s ever been.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #16
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
How is TSN doing?
No CFL, No hockey, some NBA and lots of obscure sports and top 50s they've been playing since March. Thank God for 30 for 30s.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
How is TSN doing?
Who?
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #18
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To each their own. I think the hockey, for the most part, has been fantastic. I get the atmosphere of a rabid crowd amps it up even more, but given the circumstances, the hockey has been really good (other than the seeding games).
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #19
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Is that really how it played out? I think it’s more that the NHL as a business, players and owners, wanted to get back to work and earning $$’s. And naturally they found a willing audience.

I know your comment was tongue in cheek but in the end, I don’t think many called hockey essential. They thought they could create a safe environment to run their business.

Although I would argue entertainment is as important now as it’s ever been.
I actually do believe that the government had a strong desire to see hockey come back - it’s no accident the bubble cities are in Canada.

I think the decision was made that, with more people venturing out in the summer months, there needed to be a compelling reason to stay home.

Live sports are that. While it may be debatable how “essential” they are, especially when things are normal, I think right now they absolutely are.

Every person watching the playoffs on their deck is one extra person keeping their community safe. That’s a big deal.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #20
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
You don't think there has been really good hockey played?

I havent heard that from anyone else.

The round robin games were really tame for the most part of the qualifiers were great stuff. That will only go up this and the next round.
Hockey has been good. But to the casual fan, I suspect it lacks emotion or the drama of a performance. The roar of the crowd is missed big time IMO
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote