Please hockey gods, let Seattle take Giordano from us in the expansion draft
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #342
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
thanks for bringing it up again. We put down our 17 year old dog 2 weeks ago...

so yes?
That sucks. Sorry dude.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #343
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Diarrhea dog fart of a game
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:24 AM   #344
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they should make it so if a puck comes off the skate it's an automatic no goal. At least the rule would be consistent and would be easy to judge
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #345
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas top players were on fire and buzzing all night. Calgary’s top players another no show. For me that’s the difference from a loss to a win . I truly believe if the top line would show up that the flames would have swept the series. Now it’s a best of 5. Top line better get going.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #346
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Well I'm glad I went to bed at the end of 2nd.

Johnny is still thinking too much and Gio not thinking enough. Time for a brain transplant of the two?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:03 AM   #347
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gio were playing at his average from last year, this series would feel lopsided in favor of the Flames.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:19 AM   #348
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah, it's one of those plays where in super slow motion it looks damning. At full speed I just can't agree with the call though. Some of these reviews seem like they need to be exclusively analyzed at full speed only IMO as everything looks intentional in super slow mo (Tkachuk's skate skipping up into Scheifele for example).
Agreed.

Him turning his skate sideways was maybe intentional but that’s allowed as your allowed to direct or deflect pucks with your skate.

But there was no “distinct kicking motion”, that motion of his skate was due to him being pulled backwards and falling over.

Sure if you watch it over and over and isolate that millisecond where the puck hits his skate it looks kicked. But if you watch the full sequence, look at the momentum of the players, and look at how quickly the play develops (on a bouncing puck) there is no way you’d think he intentionally kicked it in.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #349
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Yikes, rough game!

Although I really enjoyed the come back.

These games happen in every series, the Flames need to keep battling! No Stanley Cup was ever won without these types of games happening. Resiliency and heart (and talent too) are what separate the winners from the losers!

I still believe in Gaudreau and Lindholm, but they both look really weak out there, fighting the puck quite a bit. Hopefully their jitters disappear soon and those guys start moving the puck the way we know they can!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #350
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason Gaudreau and Monahan are struggling is because Ward is using a chip and chase system that does not fit their game at all. Chip, chase, backcheck, that is it. Those two need to be playing a possession offence oriented system to be effective at all. If the plan going forward is to be a chip and chase hitting team then you need to trade both because they don't fit. That number 1 line should should be playing a possession game focused solely on generating offence, this is where Ward is failing.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #351
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The reason Gaudreau and Monahan are struggling is because Ward is using a chip and chase system that does not fit their game at all. Chip, chase, backcheck, that is it. Those two need to be playing a possession offence oriented system to be effective at all. If the plan going forward is to be a chip and chase hitting team then you need to trade both because they don't fit. That number 1 line should should be playing a possession game focused solely on generating offence, this is where Ward is failing.
I don't disagree, chip and chase was working against the Jets weaker defense, but Dallas's defense are far more mobile. That being said, once the team (including the top line) started banging on the forecheck with commitment in the third, the Stars wilted and started to turn the puck over quite a bit.

The players need to realize that the Stars are very good and they need to keep running through walls if they wanna win the series. They are equal on talent. So effort is the only thing that is gonna win them this series.

I gotta say, I don't like it, but Giordano has never looked this bad in his career. Here's hoping he gets into a rhythm, or it might be time to start limiting his ice time.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:55 AM   #352
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What's weird to me is Monahan seems to be turning into a grinder. I think he's thrown more body checks this post-season than he did all season.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #353
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I am excited for the Raptors to begin playoffs on Monday. Hopefully those games will be a bit more exciting instead of watching no emotion from some of the highest paid players on this Flames roster.
I get that last night was a frustrating game but this team is 4-2 in the post-season so far (I realize that some people don't consider the play-in round a playoff round, but I do). So the above seems a bit much.
So far it's been a fun playoffs with a lot of players stepping up. I'm fascinated how I think we are seeing the core potentially shift before our eyes.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #354
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Gaudreau is a no show in the playoffs.

Except to allow his man, the defenceman, to sneak in for an empty net tap in while covering no one in the slot.

Seriously pathetic.
And then waving his hands like it wasn't his fault.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #355
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
What's weird to me is Monahan seems to be turning into a grinder. I think he's thrown more body checks this post-season than he did all season.
He's not real fast. So he better turn into a grinder in the playoffs because a bunch of other stuff in the game he's a step behind on. His magic is finding little open seams and getting quality shots off in the space of a postage stamp. I think those seams are harder to find/maintain in the playoffs. It was good to see him shoving in the corner though, wasn't it?
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #356
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I get that last night was a frustrating game but this team is 4-2 in the post-season so far (I realize that some people don't consider the play-in round a playoff round, but I do). So the above seems a bit much.
So far it's been a fun playoffs with a lot of players stepping up. I'm fascinated how I think we are seeing the core potentially shift before our eyes.
Yup. There is a potential shift here and may only be shifted even further in the offseason.

Core IMO now looks to be more about Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube, Mangiapane, Bennett, Andersson, Hanifin, Valimaki and less about Gaudreau, Gio, Brodie, Monahan.

(Even though Tkachuk sand Lindholm haven’t been great either they play a playoff style and both seem to be nursing injuries)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:16 AM   #357
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think part of the reason the first line has been so terrible is they have a gaping hole on the left side in terms of any forechecking pressure.

I don't expect Gaudreau to go in and rock the opposing dman, but all he does now is stand a couple feel away and wave his stick at them. If the Stars get the puck onto his side it's almost a guaranteed zone exit. In effect all he is doing is getting himself trapped when he loses the board "battle". May as well have his line fall back and play 1-2-2 and try to turn the puck over in the neutral zone. Expecting any pressure from Gaudreau in recovering the puck is foolish.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #358
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

My summary here:

1st line invisible yet again.

Not surprised, these guys just cant elevate their game when the whistles go away and the game gets more physical. I'm 100% all in for Hall and trade Johnny, we just wont win in the playoffs with him. Scared of the puck, we've yet to see his possession game which is his bread and butter hockey asset and the 3 of them seem to always be looking for the fancy pass rather then taking the obvious shot.
They also seem to be dumping the puck a lot for the o-zone attack, however not a single one of them rushes into the corner to retreive the puck so its a wash every time. They do this on PP1 sometimes as well when the zone take isn't working and id say 95% of the time its an easy clear for the defending team. STOP DUMPING THE PUCK.

Sadly, the rest of the league will see this too so his value likely goes down.

Gio looks cooked.

After a very mediocre/borderline terrible regular season, playoff Gio is absolutely bringing this team down. Bad penatlies, bad pinches resulting in goals. His time on PP2 has been absolutely abysmal, forcing terrible angle shots into the shin pads of the stars players.

Not to mention his foot speed has taken a significant step backwards (he's getting old I know). I think we have to leave him exposed and if Seattle takes him I think its a blessing in disguise. With that said, I bring him back to retire a Flame 100% for sure, love the guy but he's not what he was 2 years ago.

Bad goals

Dallas is throwing out continuous perimeter shots and are continually getting the lucky bounces. I don't know if BSD is the answer here, but Talbot has to tighten up on some of these. The whole team played terrible, but if he stops just 1 of those goals were winning the game. You can see how deflated the team gets when one of these stinkers goes in.

We need the win tonight, and we need some buy in and support from the top 2 lines here. Without it this team wont make it any further.

Last edited by Royle9; 08-14-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #359
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gio's supposed terrible season is over-stated. Bingo has posted metrics in the past that showed his play was still at a high level, and a good deal of the lack of point production was more by the tail off of the production of the key scorers on the top line.
But I'm not going to disagree that he's looked worse in the playoffs. It does make me wonder if he's got some sort of injury. He looks less mobile in a way that seems more than age catching up with him.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #360
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I think part of the reason the first line has been so terrible is they have a gaping hole on the left side in terms of any forechecking pressure.

I don't expect Gaudreau to go in and rock the opposing dman, but all he does now is stand a couple feel away and wave his stick at them. If the Stars get the puck onto his side it's almost a guaranteed zone exit. In effect all he is doing is getting himself trapped when he loses the board "battle". May as well have his line fall back and play 1-2-2 and try to turn the puck over in the neutral zone. Expecting any pressure from Gaudreau in recovering the puck is foolish.
And when he has the puck he’s treating it like a grenade. Afraid of any contact and just throws the puck away when a defender comes close.

Crazy part of the whole thing is the game winner last night was the first 5v5 goal against Gaudreau- Monahan have been on the ice for at 5v5 (and for Monahan really it was bad luck as he just came off the bench).

The whole line needs to do more but I do feel a bit bad for Monahan and Lindholm since I feel like they are trying but it’s tough to generate offense when it’s like you’re playing 4 against 5 all the time.

Gaudreau has never been great in the playoffs but this season is a whole other level.

Like what happened to this guy who was great in the must win game against a tough LA team and then was at least generating in the playoffs. (16:30 onwards)

He looks nothing like that guy anymore.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-14-2020 at 08:30 AM.