Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2020, 06:39 PM   #121
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

how the #### does Florida give them both Smith AND Marchessault?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #122
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Careful now, you'll set off Cali Panthers Fan and we'll have to forcibly tranquilize him.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:47 PM   #123
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
ya, wasn't it a cap thing and they didn't think they were going to be this impactful?
Old 08-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #124
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I have never liked Kane, and have often found it difficult to cheer for the Hawks because I think he's such a ######, but the Hawks are such a great example of the impact of will, experience and determination.

They are very likely going to lose this series, but they are showing how to be a playoff team. Great character.

They are not a very good team, but they managed to beat the Oilers and haven’t been embarrassed against a very good Vegas team.

They certainly don’t have any give up in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 12:52 AM   #125
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

When I summarized the Oil series, I said that the 'Hawks have to miss the post to the INSIDE of the net. And, there it was, chance to win in OT, and CLANK, Strome, off the post. And a glorious chance to win bounces away. Crawford was awful, but, can you really roll the dice and go with Subban? Colliton is in a lose-lose situation, with a leaking goaltender, and no good option, to either shore up the D, or plug in a replacement goaltender. But he's got to make a move. I know Q's moved on, I really do, but, recall 2010, Q had the balls to plug in an unknown quantity, Niemi, instead of the hyped Huet. I wouldn't blame Colliton for rolling the dice, and, at least, giving Crawford one game on the bench to find his game. Just off an illness, running him into the ground isn't a great plan, either.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:21 AM   #126
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
When I summarized the Oil series, I said that the 'Hawks have to miss the post to the INSIDE of the net. And, there it was, chance to win in OT, and CLANK, Strome, off the post. And a glorious chance to win bounces away. Crawford was awful, but, can you really roll the dice and go with Subban? Colliton is in a lose-lose situation, with a leaking goaltender, and no good option, to either shore up the D, or plug in a replacement goaltender. But he's got to make a move. I know Q's moved on, I really do, but, recall 2010, Q had the balls to plug in an unknown quantity, Niemi, instead of the hyped Huet. I wouldn't blame Colliton for rolling the dice, and, at least, giving Crawford one game on the bench to find his game. Just off an illness, running him into the ground isn't a great plan, either.
Good points, but, Crawford is the best choice. He still made 35 saves.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:48 AM   #127
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tsawwassen...I am concerned about post Covid stamina in the guy. If you go with a worn out Crawford in game 3, and lose, then you may be looking at having to win 4 in a row. It is a hard choice, and in discussions at my home forum (Blackhawkzone, formerly Wirtzsucks) they agree with you. But, I see Crow's game seemingly deteriorating each game. And I think it is time to call in the relief, for at least one game.

Now, 'Hawk fans have been dissatisfied with Bowman's roster building for some time. He did win with the core built by his predecessor, but has struggled with bad contracts and has failed to address a couple areas, namely Defense behind Keith/Seabrook over the past 5 years, #2 Center until the emergence of a 19yo Dach, and a forever rotating Wing to match with Toews/Saad, that wasn't named Kane, and until an out of the blue, Kubalik, he was using washed up bums for years, Now he has whiffed on Goaltending depth, finally getting Lehner, then dumping Lehner. Subban, Delia, or any of the AHL level guys looks inadequate. (and Scott Foster is still an accountant!).
Old 08-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #128
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Now he has whiffed on Goaltending depth, finally getting Lehner, then dumping Lehner. Subban, Delia, or any of the AHL level guys looks inadequate. (and Scott Foster is still an accountant!).
They weren’t making the playoffs and got a solid return on their pending UFA goalie.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #129
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know Q's moved on, I really do, but, recall 2010, Q had the balls to plug in an unknown quantity, Niemi, instead of the hyped Huet.
Niemi wasn't an unknown quantity when Q put him into the playoffs, far from it. He was 26-7 as a Hawk goalie that year, and his GAA and SV % was much better than Huet's that year. He was simply the better choice vs. Huet who had played poorly behind a stacked team all year.

Niemi played OK in the playoffs that year, but the Hawks likely could have won with me in nets.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #130
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cobra, but, Niemi had no Playoff experience, and Huet did. It was still a bold move by Q to ride the new guy.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #131
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Keith has had a wretched start to game 3. At least 3 turnovers, one leading to a SHG against.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #132
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Over in the ENG thread, somebody quoted an Oil fan saying that "you shouldn't hitch a race horse to a plow", in answer to a McStatpad criticism about not playing D. In the current game vs. Vegas. |Kane, who is a more proven winning "race horse" than McHolyOne, has no problem being first man back after Boqvist turns the puck over trying to drive in from the point.

No one is going to say that Kane is a good defender, but, the effort is there every game, as Q would have benched his butt in his formative NHL years, and, with team success, that lesson was learned.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #133
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can’t stand the Knights.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #134
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the 3-0 series lead, this has actually been some pretty competitive hockey and enjoyable to watch. Chicago are outmatched in talent and depth, but they have plenty of character and push back to make Vegas earn their Ws.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #135
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I can’t stand the Knights.
I dunno how anyone can hate the Knights. They did such a great job of drafting and developing their core. They built a perennial division/conference/Stanley Cup contender the right way. It's truly an impressive feat.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #136
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

And they don't have to give a player to Seattle...what a joke
Old 08-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #137
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yes that’s infuriating- presumably they can then also stockpile talent from other teams worried about losing something and get even richer?
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:18 PM   #138
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It's nice that the NHL was able to immediately insert a Stanley Cup contender into the Flames division right when our window was supposed to be opening, I look forward to Seattle doing the same thing in two seasons. This time hopefully they get somebody really good from the Flames just to make it all the more enjoyable.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #139
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas doesn’t see any cash from the Seattle expansion so shouldn’t have to give up a player.

I do hate how they’ve had so much success so soon with pretty much every move working out brilliantly. I also get annoyed seeing any adult Knights fan who doesn’t live in Vegas. The ultimate band wagoners.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #140
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Vegas doesn’t see any cash from the Seattle expansion so shouldn’t have to give up a player.

I do hate how they’ve had so much success so soon with pretty much every move working out brilliantly. I also get annoyed seeing any adult Knights fan who doesn’t live in Vegas. The ultimate band wagoners.
Disagree...for competitive balance they should have to give up a player. Its not like they would have turned down a franchise if this was the case. The fact that the Redwings have to give up a player but Vegas doesn't is ridiculous IMO. Especially after the ridiculous expansion rules.

I agree with the rest of what you said