Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Stars 5 Flames 4

Game Takes: Stars 5 Flames 4 (Series tied 1-1)

- Flames not sharp tonight
- Stars pushed back hard
- Some credit for the bounce back
- painful finish in the end
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highlight from your Game take:

Quote:
You can’t break what’s working in order to fix something that’s not
Was that the most high danger saves that Talbot has made in the playoffs? The 5 goals by Dallas could have been a lot worse.

You are correct that based on fatigue that Talbot might need a break. Lot of games in a short time frame.

No comment on Benn spearing Tkachuk? The video I saw pretty much shows Benn not spearing him... Likely something happened to Tkachuk before Benn bumped him.

There was a clip out yesterday with Scheifele saying that Tkachuk contacted him and Scheifele accepted an apology as he is not one to keep grudges.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Highlight from your Game take:

Was that the most high danger saves that Talbot has made in the playoffs? The 5 goals by Dallas could have been a lot worse.

You are correct that based on fatigue that Talbot might need a break. Lot of games in a short time frame.

No comment on Benn spearing Tkachuk? The video I saw pretty much shows Benn not spearing him... Likely something happened to Tkachuk before Benn bumped him.

There was a clip out yesterday with Scheifele saying that Tkachuk contacted him and Scheifele accepted an apology as he is not one to keep grudges.
Are you talking about when Tkachuk got hit in the head via the sandwich with Benn and Oleksiak, or when Benn speared Tkachuk in the nutsack. Because the latter was a clear spear in Professor Nutbutter's House of Treats...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can say there wasn't a spear. Even if his nuts weren't where he was aiming for he meant to jab him.

And regarding Scheifele not only did he say he accepted the apology but that he didn't think there was any intent to injure him.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yeah, I don't know how anyone can say there wasn't a spear. Even if his nuts weren't where he was aiming for he meant to jab him.

And regarding Scheifele not only did he say he accepted the apology but that he didn't think there was any intent to injure him.
Sorry somehow I did not see that when I saw the video the first couple of times. Now it looks blatant. Are the Flames sending it in to the League?

Where was Lucic calling out Benn?

For the rest of Tkachuk's ice time he was vulnerable to any and all physical contact.

Last edited by ricardodw; 08-14-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry somehow I did not see that when I saw the video the first couple of times. Now it looks blatant. Are the Flames sending it in to the League?
They definitely should. I can see the ref missing it because it looked sneaky and Tkachuk didn't drop to his knees in pain but there's no reason the league should let that go without even a fine.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
They definitely should. I can see the ref missing it because it looked sneaky and Tkachuk didn't drop to his knees in pain but there's no reason the league should let that go without even a fine.
Tkachuk gave a clear and instant reaction that he was in trouble. That would be a clear attempt to injure. Tkachuk penchant for drawing Penalties would have made an official missing the actual spear to think that he was acting out a cross check or other offense that happens regularly on a face off.

Both this incident and Tkachuk's kicking Scheifele present the league with a bad problem. IF they were considered an attempt to injure they are far more "dirty, filthy and disgusting" than a head shot or driving someone into the end boards that are miscalculations of a valid legal hit... They should be 20 game suspensions.... because of Benn and Tkachuk's being elite players that people pay to watch it is better to ignore these altogether.

Last edited by ricardodw; 08-14-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Lucic and the Flames bench not believe Tkachuk that Benn speared him in the privates?

How scary is Benn that the Flames would not make it an issue?
Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk didn't kick Scheifele
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Tkachuk didn't kick Scheifele
What did apologize for? Scheifele losing his balance? Scheifele was treated for a compression injury to the back of his leg. It happened, it was in the tradition of Bobby Clarke breaking Valeri Kharlamov's ankle in 1972.

It doesn't make Henderson's series winning goal or the Flames winning their 2nd series since 2004 any less celebrated.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both this incident and Tkachuk's kicking Scheifele present the league with a bad problem. IF they were considered an attempt to injure they are far more "dirty, filthy and disgusting" than a head shot or driving someone into the end boards that are miscalculations of a valid legal hit... They should be 20 game suspensions.... because of Benn and Tkachuk's being elite players that people pay to watch it is better to ignore these altogether.
The two aren't even comparable. Tkachuk's was a freak accident that 9 out of 10 times ends up being a regular hit because Scheifele doesn't get caught up like that in the boards and Tkachuk doesn't lose his footing after having his skate bounce.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What did apologize for?
He apologized for coming in faster than he should have.

"The one thing I know, and he talked about being out of control and skating too fast. He took ownership of that. It's one of those things that's a learning curve for everyone. ... It's a fast-moving game, but what I said earlier, I'm thankful it wasn't as serious as it could have been."

https://www.nhl.com/news/winnipeg-fo...it/c-318391870

Last edited by Inferno; 08-14-2020 at 09:53 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #13
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is David Rittich better? I’m honestly not sure, but I do think David Rittich at his best is better than Cam Talbot at his best. The rub is the fact that Cam Talbot at his worst is better than David Rittich at his worst.
This nailed it for our keeping so well.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame On For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 09:50 AM   #14
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What did apologize for? Scheifele losing his balance? Scheifele was treated for a compression injury to the back of his leg. It happened, it was in the tradition of Bobby Clarke breaking Valeri Kharlamov's ankle in 1972.

It doesn't make Henderson's series winning goal or the Flames winning their 2nd series since 2004 any less celebrated.
Jeepers. It wasn’t even close to Clarke.

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 08-14-2020 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added video
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #15
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Holy crap. I don't know how anyone can compare the deliberate injury from Clarke with this incident.
He apologized because a player suffered a serious injury as a result of an interaction on the ice they had. Tkachuk can feel bad about that without it being deliberate. We don't know what they said to each other but I suspect it wasn't "Hey man I apologize for kicking you" because that didn't happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Can you finally answer the question of whether or not you are a Jets fan. I think being up front about that would help folks understand your takes.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Holy crap. I don't know how anyone can compare the deliberate injury from Clarke with this incident.
He apologized because a player suffered a serious injury as a result of an interaction on the ice they had. Tkachuk can feel bad about that without it being deliberate. We don't know what they said to each other but I suspect it wasn't "Hey man I apologize for kicking you" because that didn't happen.
Yeah and didn't he mention that's he's practiced with him in the off-season a fair bit, so he actually has a personal connection which would compel anyone to apologies.
"I apologies for spilling my beverage" doesn't mean I picked up the drink, and deliberately poured it on the table!
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.

Last edited by Flame On; 08-14-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: grammar
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Ricardo is having a day ....

- blame a concussion on a mouth guard which is out dated science
- basically reveal that he didn't even watch the playoff game because he didn't see the spear which was shown about a dozen times
- suggest an unfortunate result from a hit is the same as a spear to the nards
- suggest both are 20 game suspensions
- compare Tkachuk's hit to a targeted slash that broke a Russian's ankle

Stuff like this really does lend one to think he's just trying to create chaos.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #19
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I held off as long as I could stand it, as I try to be open to a variety of opinions, but this seals it. Ricardo is going on the ignore list, and I recommend all Flames fans do the same.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #20
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Stuff like this really does lend one to think he's just trying to create chaos.
He's just still salty that we beat up his Jets and took their lunches.