Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #141
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Okay.... nothing about Tkachuks breakaway pass to Gaudreau was “elite”.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #142
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Tkachuk Leaves the Ice in Game 2... and has never returned"
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #143
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The lengthy 2 zone backhand pass he made to Johnny the other night, for the breakaway goal, was ELITE skill and “tools”.
Tkachuk still absolutely has the tools to be an elite winger, but much like Johnny Gaudreau, he has flaws, namely his skating and pace of play, but pair him up with the right linemates and I think you get the most out of him.

Tkachuk still does an amazing job getting the puck out of his own zone and is elite at cycling along the boards. These are things that can still make him successful, but with out the right linemates and the right style of play, I think his attributes will be wasted like they were most of this season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #144
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Tkachuk still absolutely has the tools to be an elite winger, but much like Johnny Gaudreau, he has flaws, namely his skating and pace of play, but pair him up with the right linemates and I think you get the most out of him.

Tkachuk still does an amazing job getting the puck out of his own zone and is elite at cycling along the boards. These are things that can still make him successful, but with out the right linemates and the right style of play, I think his attributes will be wasted like they were most of this season.
Wait, what? Are we talking about “between the legs by his own boards” Matt? IMO exits are one of his least favourable assets. He was great at puck protection in the O-zone though, except not this year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 09:42 PM   #145
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he was producing at a decent clip before the Muzzin incident, wasn't he? I worry that the rumours of him being neutered by teammates is true-he's not playing a very rambunctious style, not drawing penalties,etc. I know Darryl wants disciplined, hard play, but it seems to go beyond that...
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #146
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Okay.... nothing about Tkachuks breakaway pass to Gaudreau was “elite”.
The bar has gotten extremely low hasn’t it?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 10:13 PM   #147
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Wait, what? Are we talking about “between the legs by his own boards” Matt? IMO exits are one of his least favourable assets. He was great at puck protection in the O-zone though, except not this year.
No, the Matthew who doesn't spend much time in his own zone Tkachuk. Matthew Tkachuk is great at absorbing contact and making a good play along the board to exit the zone. That's likely why his analytical numbers are always so good. His line doesn't get hemmed in their own zone nearly as often as say Gaudreau's line. I think that's why he and Johnny Gaudreau work so well together. They both think the game at the same level and play off each other very well, but he's also able to cover up some of Gaudreau's flaws while Gaudreau can push the pace of the game and cover up some of Tkachuk's shortcomings. Ideally, if there's one winger combo that I'd keep together going into next season, it's these 2.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:24 PM   #148
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, the Matthew who doesn't spend much time in his own zone Tkachuk. Matthew Tkachuk is great at absorbing contact and making a good play along the board to exit the zone. That's likely why his analytical numbers are always so good. His line doesn't get hemmed in their own zone nearly as often as say Gaudreau's line. I think that's why he and Johnny Gaudreau work so well together. They both think the game at the same level and play off each other very well, but he's also able to cover up some of Gaudreau's flaws while Gaudreau can push the pace of the game and cover up some of Tkachuk's shortcomings. Ideally, if there's one winger combo that I'd keep together going into next season, it's these 2.
His line doesn’t get hemmed in because it has a better skating centre and (usually) Dube, who has the best wheels on the team.

Tkachuk is a nightmare in his own end IMO.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The lengthy 2 zone backhand pass he made to Johnny the other night, for the breakaway goal, was ELITE skill and “tools”.
Sorry, I can’t agree. I’ve seen that same pass from Sven Baertschi once. Also Monahan last year. And Brodie did it on the regular, of course. It was a nice area pass.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #150
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
His line doesn’t get hemmed in because it has a better skating centre and (usually) Dube, who has the best wheels on the team.

Tkachuk is a nightmare in his own end IMO.
Well sure, Tkachuk's not perfect in his own end. But we're still talking about a winger here, so not sure how he can be a complete nightmare in his own end. Heck, he played forever with Backlund going up against the opposition's top lines and that line usually came out smelling like daisies. I think his ability to shield the puck or take a hit to make a play along the boards helps his team exit the zone or relieve pressure, so he does his job in his own end generally speaking. His advanced stats certainly proves he isn't a complete liability in his own end.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:10 AM   #151
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Well sure, Tkachuk's not perfect in his own end. But we're still talking about a winger here, so not sure how he can be a complete nightmare in his own end. Heck, he played forever with Backlund going up against the opposition's top lines and that line usually came out smelling like daisies. I think his ability to shield the puck or take a hit to make a play along the boards helps his team exit the zone or relieve pressure, so he does his job in his own end generally speaking. His advanced stats certainly proves he isn't a complete liability in his own end.

If the C does all the defensive work, his advanced stats prove nothing about his ability in the D zone as it’s the C that matters

Iggy took heat for his line’s overall D, so is Tkachuk responsible for it or is his C?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:01 AM   #152
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
If the C does all the defensive work, his advanced stats prove nothing about his ability in the D zone as it’s the C that matters

Iggy took heat for his line’s overall D, so is Tkachuk responsible for it or is his C?
The center without a doubt plays the biggest role defensively between the 3 forwards. But a winger’s ability to consistently win a one on one battle against a pinching defenseman can make a difference in a game and I think Tkachuk does this quite well. It may be subtle, but Tkachuk is very good at making a play and keeping possession rather then just getting the puck out of danger. That’s underrated aspect of Tkachuk’s game I think. Not a lot of wingers on this team excel in this regard.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 AM   #153
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I can’t agree. I’ve seen that same pass from Sven Baertschi once. Also Monahan last year. And Brodie did it on the regular, of course. It was a nice area pass.
I think we're just not used to Flames players making nice plays on the regular.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote