Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #4641
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Surpringly I'm not even really a WWE guy for life, I watch very little in terms of wrestling nowdays.

But I'm old school in my approach, and I appreciate the good booking, good story telling and great ring psychology approach to the "sport". Something that neither company is doing a great job of.

For the most part, AEW booking and match structure is poor, they get it right on occasion and I like that, and I certainly see the potential of their roster.

I'm still shocked that they've done such a bad job with Danielson, he was great as a technical heel and then they put him in a group which is just baffling.

Putting Jericho in as the ROH champion just was ridiculous, and once again poor Claudio gets his feet kicked out from under them.

Yes I dislike the booking of AEW, I think on the whole its a company that's just kicking away its potential, mainly due to the people running it.

WWE isn't all that much better, I know that HHH really just started and is going to try to fix things, but its the same situation, the booking and stories are ridiculous except for a few workers. The one positive to me is that I don't go into watching a WWE match with the thought of is this the one where somebody stupidly breaks his neck.

North American Wrestling right now can best be described as stagnant, at worst just plain bad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 02:20 PM   #4642
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated WWE Announce teams

SmackDown
Michael Cole with Wade Barrett

RAW
Kevin Patrick with Corey Graves

Byron Saxton is moving to backstage interviews and Cathy Kelley is returning to join him.

NXT
Vic Joseph and Booker T

Premium Live Events
Michael Cole and Corey Graves

Pat McAfee will return as soon as his commitments to ESPN's College GameDay are done.

Last edited by Inferno; 10-06-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 03:39 PM   #4643
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wesley Blake's wife and former Tough Enough winner Sara Lee has passed away. Her mom confirmed it on Facebook but didn't give a cause of death.

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/10...-30-years-old/
Old 10-08-2022, 08:26 PM   #4644
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Damn so far extreme rules has been pretty decent.

Dominic beating the hell out of his old man has me cheering for the heel.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:11 PM   #4645
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Damn so far extreme rules has been pretty decent.

Dominic beating the hell out of his old man has me cheering for the heel.
That was a solid PPV for sure. I’m also a proponent of using gimmick and stipulation matches at PPV’s so it feels different and has more of a big game feel.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:09 PM   #4646
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1579983853678399488
Old 10-18-2022, 09:57 PM   #4647
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

And as we’ve all feared would happen it looks like Hangman Page was pretty seriously injured tonight.

Not a crazy spot or anything but more unfortunate.

Really hope he’s okay.

Edit: Sounds like it was a concussion and not something serious with his neck as was initially feared

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-19-2022 at 08:30 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:59 AM   #4648
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else catch that MJF / William Regal promo last night?

Absolute promo of the year and it's not even close. Both guys just absolutely nailed it. MJF showing why he's arguably the best on the mic right now, and Regal showing why he is a revered legend.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #4649
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
And as we’ve all feared would happen it looks like Hangman Page was pretty seriously injured tonight.

Not a crazy spot or anything but more unfortunate.

Really hope he’s okay.

Edit: Sounds like it was a concussion and not something serious with his neck as was initially feared
When I watched it, it looked like Moxley hit him high across the jaw. He was out cold when he hit the ground.

He got lucky.

Too many bad spots and wrestlers trying to do more then they're trained to do. Its starting to be a bad look.

I mean Athena, almost killed a girl in a dark match and went full bore, sloppy stiff on her and did a stupid toss her out of the ring spot that gave her opponent zero chance of protecting herself.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #4650
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Bad spots? Hangman's was a totally normal spot. It just ended wrong. Getting a lariat and doing the somersault tumble is Plain Jane.

You can't blame that on Hangman or Moxley. That wasn't anything WWE wouldn't do.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #4651
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that one is just unfortunate.

If anything that was probably more just Hangman and Mox agreeing to work a little stiff on each other to really drive the physicality of the two men home and try to make both look like stars.

It did look like Mox might have hit him a little high, and I do think there have been some times lately where Mox has been a little sloppy, and part of that might be working so many of these really grueling physical matches where he's bleeding. When you're tired and bleeding the risk of getting a bit sloppy increases IMO.

But I don't think this falls under the "AEW Spot Fest" category.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #4652
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Mixture of trying to be real, stiff and some bad luck.

If Moxley was out there concussing people left and right I'd say it was not a good look.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #4653
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bret Hart just managing to turn every interview into calling out goldberg will never get old

Was asked who he would have loved to work with

Quote:
"Kurt Angle would have been one of my primary guys. He always wanted to work with me and I wish I could've worked with him. I would have loved to work with Brock Lesnar just because I always heard he was a good pro in the ring. The opposite of Goldberg
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #4654
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Mixture of trying to be real, stiff and some bad luck.

If Moxley was out there concussing people left and right I'd say it was not a good look.
Yep, mox doesnt have that type of reputation as not being soft, just seemed like it hit a bit high and they were working stiff
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #4655
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ignoring the tweet text. But yeah, Moxley came in really high on the lariat and Page looks like he was out before his head hit the canvas. But Page didn't exactly come into that one clean either.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1582919156063948800

Could have been far worse of an injury.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 10-20-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #4656
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't recall the exact matches now but I do recall a couple times lately where I thought Moxley was working a bit sloppy (Blood & Guts match was one for sure).

I do think at this point that he's maybe a bit overworked and doing too many of these just grueling, overly physical matches.

He's not Nia Jax and hurting people every match, but I do think that it caught up to him here with Hangman.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:28 AM   #4657
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I can't recall the exact matches now but I do recall a couple times lately where I thought Moxley was working a bit sloppy (Blood & Guts match was one for sure).

I do think at this point that he's maybe a bit overworked and doing too many of these just grueling, overly physical matches.

He's not Nia Jax and hurting people every match, but I do think that it caught up to him here with Hangman.
I like Moxley, though I'm not as big of a fan of his character work here, nor his reliance on the type of matches that he wants to do, which are low on pyschology and story telling.

But he's not young, because of the current situation, they're working the piss out of him and fatigue has set it. But lets be honest, he's always been pretty sloppy in the ring. In WWE there was a bit of a filter on what he was doing in the ring by the producers, which I don't think is as bad as it was originally promoted.

I think that AEW really does need a EVP of (and to use my Jim Cornette voice) WTF.

"Hey EVP, I have this idea in a match to do this incredibly dangerous stunt to me and my opponent during a regular dynamite match, because it will be the 5th one in this match and maybe it will get more over and on TV once in a while, what do you thing?"

EVP of WTF - "WTF? No that's stupid"

Old 10-20-2022, 09:29 AM   #4658
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Oh and there were rumors for example that Nia Jax was going to go to TNA or AEW. EVP of WTF? would say "no way"

Not even WWE with HHH in charge is bringing her back.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #4659
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

I have two thoughts on this.

First: he had wanted time off and I wonder if he's getting a bit sloppy because he's exhausted

Second: He's sick of people saying his #### doesn't look good and he's getting stiffer to compensate.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:24 PM   #4660
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting tired of Moxley. He's overexposed, his gimmick is just Stone Cold lite, and he's not even that exciting of a wrestler, IMO.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: