Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #21
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocus Pocus View Post
Bump!

So life has had some interesting twists and turns since I originally posted this two years ago but I am ready to start looking once again. I'm hoping to focus on higher-end townhomes between 550-700K that are within a reasonable commuting distance of Quarry Park (the ones in QP itself are nice but a little too close to work). Some areas I'm considering include Altadore/Garrison, Currie Barracks, or Kingsland but outside of the inner-city or the new communities to the south the inventory seems to be pretty limited. Wondering if there are any communities/developments that I'm missing but should be considering?

What's wrong with being too close to work?

If you can find a home with the features you want (sounds like you can), in a nice neighborhood (QP would likely qualify as one), then why would you artificially inflate your commute if you don't have to?

I have a buddy who lives a 2 minute walk away from his office in QP. I thought he might be afraid of being the guy that gets called in because he is close by. He figures even if that does happen (it doesn't), it still is far outweighed by the fact that he can walk home for lunch if he wants to.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #22
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I have a buddy who lives a 2 minute walk away from his office in QP. I thought he might be afraid of being the guy that gets called in because he is close by. He figures even if that does happen (it doesn't), it still is far outweighed by the fact that he can walk home for lunch if he wants to.
That is awesome. Just sayin'.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #23
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Hocus Pocus, I would strongly suggest you start working with a Realtor - especially considering you put Kingsland in the same category as Altador / Currie Barracks. I have no knocks against Kingsland at all however we are talking about completely different price brackets for equivalent homes.

I agree with the posters above on how being able to walk to work would be amazing (much like you were/still do)
The traffic on Glenmore would be enough for me to not want to live west Elbow if I had the choice and worked in QP

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 05-14-2015, 08:48 AM   #24
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
The traffic on Glenmore would be enough for me to not want to live west Elbow if I had the choice and worked in QP
This point is excellent and very true. I love Marda Loop (Garrison Woods, Altadore, South Calgary, Currie Barracks) and lived there for a number of years. Commuting from that area along Glenmore during rush hour is a nightmare though. There are only a couple alternate routes (Sifton or 38 or Council Way/Premier Way to Elbow) and they can be painfully slow as well. I commuted downtown so it was great for me. My significant other worked just south of Chinook Mall and on an average day it would take between 30 and 45 minutes during rush hour to get from Chinook to 14 Street/33Ave using Elbow and Sifton.

Windsor Park, Parkhill and Mission have some pretty nice infills that should fit your price range and would make the commute marginally better.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #25
Hocus Pocus
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Hocus Pocus, I would strongly suggest you start working with a Realtor - especially considering you put Kingsland in the same category as Altador / Currie Barracks. I have no knocks against Kingsland at all however we are talking about completely different price brackets for equivalent homes.

I agree with the posters above on how being able to walk to work would be amazing (much like you were/still do)
Thanks Travis - I am working with a Realtor but just looking on here for ideas he/I hadn't considered.

Unfortunately it seems there aren't a lot of good townhouse options within a reasonable commute of Quarry Park (outside of being in QP itself). I keep hoping that something might pop up that meets the criteria I'm looking for but so far I haven't found it.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #26
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Douglas Glen has many fine neighbours
Old 06-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #27
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My girlfriend and I are looking at neighbourhoods to consider. Right now we are contemplating a townhouse (looking for something low maintenance) and we are hoping to keep it under $500k. Currie barracks is sweet, but just a little bit out of our price range.

She works downtown and I work in the Northeast. She doesn't want to live in the Northeast. Right now we live in Aspen and it is fantastic, it's just a bit far from work for me.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
My girlfriend and I are looking at neighbourhoods to consider. Right now we are contemplating a townhouse (looking for something low maintenance) and we are hoping to keep it under $500k. Currie barracks is sweet, but just a little bit out of our price range.

She works downtown and I work in the Northeast. She doesn't want to live in the Northeast. Right now we live in Aspen and it is fantastic, it's just a bit far from work for me.
There are nice places in the neighbourhoods just north of downtown: Bridgeland, Renfrew, Crescent Heights, etc.

Easy access to 16th, Memorial, and Deerfoot, so everything is easy to get to. Going to work in the NE, you're against traffic, so it's generally light the whole way. It's close enough to downtown that your girlfriend can walk if she wants, and still take less time than a lot of people spend in traffic.

Your address might be NE, but it's not "the Northeast".
Old 06-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #29
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post

What about Killarney?
Old 06-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #30
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
There are nice places in the neighbourhoods just north of downtown: Bridgeland, Renfrew, Crescent Heights, etc.

Easy access to 16th, Memorial, and Deerfoot, so everything is easy to get to. Going to work in the NE, you're against traffic, so it's generally light the whole way. It's close enough to downtown that your girlfriend can walk if she wants, and still take less time than a lot of people spend in traffic.

Your address might be NE, but it's not "the Northeast".
My Wife works in the NE, and I work just south of down town. I always really like the location of the Triwood communities, quite a bit less expensive or less knock down ready than the communities right on 16th. A little further away from the University/SAIT so a little less noise and fewer rentals. Still only would have been about a 20 min commute for both of us, if not less for my wife.

But we have a young family and did not want to put the time and resources into allot of renos/up keep. So we bought a new house north of Nose Hill and commute 30 to 40 minutes instead. If only we could have put our house in that community without spending way way more money.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #31
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Thoughts on Mahogany? Outside of the complaints about it's location of course.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #32
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
What about Killarney?
Killarney is a great neighbourhood.