Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 18 8.70%
Alexander Yelesin 27 13.04%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 10 4.83%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 35 16.91%
Dustin Wolf 3 1.45%
Eetu Tuulola 8 3.86%
Filip Sveningsson 49 23.67%
Glenn Gawdin 11 5.31%
Jeremy McKenna 2 0.97%
Jon Gillies 31 14.98%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 1 0.48%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Luke Philp 2 0.97%
Milos Roman 3 1.45%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 2 0.97%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 1 0.48%
Ryan Lomberg 4 1.93%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Forgive me since I don't know much about any of the prospects below 5, but why is Gillies getting votes this early? He seems like a ideal candidate to be dropping to the mid to late 20s. Is he getting votes based on past rankings or is he considered a possible really late bloomer?
I think he is living off his hype still from a few years ago.

He hasn't shown much lately.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's getting votes because none of the prospects left are likely to see much, if any, games. But an injury to a goalie and Gillies will be up. And his upside as a large goalie who could possibly turn things around is much better than the others. Is it likely? Nope. Is it possible? Yes.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #23
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
I kept meaning to ask about him on these threads... I didn’t realize he went on such a tear in Sudbury, that’s awesome... hopefully he has a monster season in Stockton. Is he a lock to play for the Heat this season, more or less?

I would say he’s a lock for Stockton for sure. Hard to see a spot for him on the big club and he needs to work on his consistency.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #24
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gillies
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #25
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Adam Ruzicka
He's big, he has decent hands and offensively ability, he is decent in his own end...but his attitude and commitment are concerns. He isn't always engaged and is easily rattled and knocked off his game, and when that happens he looks like a beer league player during a 10:45 PM weekday game going through the motions to get home ASAP. But when he is on he can drive a line and contribute at both ends of the ice. 32 even-strength goals in 65 games is impressive as is generating over 3.5 shots per game, while also having decent vision. Excellent in the dot, too - arguably the best in the OHL. If he can get the mental side figured out he has a good shot at making it as he has every tool in the box. If not, I reckon he'll be saying "what if" when he looks back on things later in life.

Ceiling: 2nd line C
Probable: 4A C
Floor: Outright bust

Also in consideration
Jeremy McKenna
One dimensional goal scorer but scoring goals is the most difficult skill in hockey. Excellent at getting open and finding gaps in coverage which allows him to get his hard and accurate shot off. Also terrific on the powerplay. But, his defensive shortcomings significantly reduce his probability of success. Hockey is full of junior snipers who didn't pan out, but there are a few who have turned into mighty good scorers. Over 5 shots per game is insane.

Ceiling: 2nd line W
Probable: Tweener
Floor: Outright bust

After Ruzicka and McKenna, I see a drop with the rest of the lot, noting I value ceiling much higher than probability of playing a handful of games on the 4th line.

Lucas Feuk
Spoiler!

Filip Sveningsson
Spoiler!

Milos Roman
Spoiler!

Ryan Lomberg
Spoiler!

Demetrios Koumontzis
Spoiler!

Glenn Gawdin
Spoiler!

Luke Philp
Spoiler!

Eetu Tuulola
Spoiler!

Josh Nodler
Spoiler!

Carl-Johan Lerby
Spoiler!

Rinat Valiev
Spoiler!

Dustin Wolf
Spoiler!

Jon Gillies
Spoiler!

N/A
Artem Zagidulin
Nick Schneider

No hope
Spencer Foo
Mitchell Mattson
Linus Lindstrom
Andrew Nielsen
Justin Kirkland
Pavel Karnaukhov

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 07-18-2019 at 10:45 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #26
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yelesin for me
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 AM   #27
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me, Ruzicka’s numbers just aren’t that impressive. 78 points in 65 games played in major junior in his draft +2 year?
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #28
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
For me, Ruzicka’s numbers just aren’t that impressive. 78 points in 65 games played in major junior in his draft +2 year?
I don't think those numbers are bad at all. It's also worth pointing out that his PPG climbed from 1.057 to 1.36 after getting away from his Sarnia coaches. By all accounts he "figured it out" in Sudbury and was a force the entire time he was there.

For reference Dube put up 1.58 PPG in major junior in his draft +2 year and he is our best forward prospect.

He isn't a perfect prospect, but his skill set is definitely intriguing, especially for a 4th round pick. If our AHL coaches can refine his game and continue to get that consistency out of him that he showed in in Sudbury he will be an NHL player.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #29
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I don't think those numbers are bad at all. It's also worth pointing out that his PPG climbed from 1.057 to 1.36 after getting away from his Sarnia coaches. By all accounts he "figured it out" in Sudbury and was a force the entire time he was there.

For reference Dube put up 1.58 PPG in major junior in his draft +2 year and he is our best forward prospect.

He isn't a perfect prospect, but his skill set is definitely intriguing, especially for a 4th round pick. If our AHL coaches can refine his game and continue to get that consistency out of him that he showed in in Sudbury he will be an NHL player.
One of the best things of this annual exercize is the information you get to read and dig into about prospects. I had him as an inconsistent player that didn't try that hard and had pretty much moved past him. You give me pause. Well done!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Forgive me since I don't know much about any of the prospects below 5, but why is Gillies getting votes this early? He seems like a ideal candidate to be dropping to the mid to late 20s. Is he getting votes based on past rankings or is he considered a possible really late bloomer?
Because they think he’s one of our top 15 prospects.

Some people are all about recent play and numbers. Those posters wouldn’t be high on Gillies.

Some people like to take the long view, have patience for ups and downs and realize goalies often take 6-8 years to develop. Those posters will be higher on Gillies.

If anyone thinks goalie scouting and development can be fully judged by stats they are mistaken.

I’ve seen countless goalies debut in the nhl in their mid-late 20’s. Most goalie are “late bloomers” according to your definition.

I’ve seen the Flames not sign Craig Andersson and him go on to be a solid nhler. I’ve seen the team give up on Giguere just before he became an nhl starter. Goalies aren’t like normal skaters, they literally take twice as long to develop and therefore require twice as much patience. Clearly many of the fans are out of patience with Gillies. Some of us have not.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #31
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve seen the Flames not sign Craig Andersson and him go on to be a solid nhler. I’ve seen the team give up on Giguere just before he became an nhl starter. Goalies aren’t like normal skaters, they literally take twice as long to develop and therefore require twice as much patience. Clearly many of the fans are out of patience with Gillies. Some of us have not.
Anderson and Giguere were "moved" at 19 and 23 respectively (I say moved, because Anderson simply wasn't signed and went back into the draft). JS was also a full-time NHL starter at 24. Anderson took until 28, but in that time put up 4 good seasons in the AHL (matching or besting Gillies' best season every year) and two phenomenal years as an NHL backup.

Starting to sour on Gillies at 25/26 after doing nothing of note in the AHL isn't about a lack of reasonable patience. I think most people have a pretty good amount of patience with goalies. Expecting them to have accomplished something at the professional level by 26 is not unreasonable.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #32
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He has accomplished “something”. What are you basing his development on? If it’s only numbers then it’s not a useful analysis. The Flames seem to think he has developed in the AHL. I understand why fans don’t agree. Another poster asked why people are voting him and I was trying to answer the question. I’m not trying or expecting people who judge Gillies solely based on AHL stats to change their minds on him.

I think it’s fair to be down on him.
I think it’s fair to be not down on him.

Our internet opinions have no bearing on the matter. Gillies has a chance of playing nhl games this season and could be in our top two the season after. It’s a possibility that I don’t think we can write off.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote