Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #61
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Like holy ****. That is a complete professional breakdown of an obscure song with exact delay times on the second guitar within two hours of posting.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #62
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
I've been teaching guitar full time for 25 years in Calgary and area and have lots of resources I can email if anyone is interested. Just started teaching over Skype and Google Duo yesterday and am adding Zoom today. It's lots of fun and really easy to learn now. I teach Rock, Jazz, Flamenco, Country, Fingerstyle, Classical, Metal and Pop styles. If you want to better yourself as a player give me a shout.
Well, definitely considering this now, haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #63
jayswin

Exp:

And sorry, that chord progression I posted was for another new Jimmy Eat World song called "One Mil". So therefor you're not allowed to judge me after seeing what I posted and thinking "what was this guy smoking?".
Old 04-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #64
jayswin

Exp:

Wow, turns out after a few coronavirus beers I was really conflating two Jimmy Eat World songs haha. But still thanks so much for the response. Do you do any in person lessons (obviously after things return to some type of normal) or just online?
Old 04-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #65
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes I do teach out of a studio one on one, although I think it might be a few months till we get to that point again. I will say that so far the best online platforms for guitar right now are Skype and Google Duo which have both worked flawlessly for me. Zoom lags a lot and is usable but not the same quality.

Glad you liked the transcription. If you'd like to try a skype lesson just give me a shout. If not no worries and hope you have an awesome day!!
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #66
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... the self isolation thing has been great for my playing. I've just stopped putting my guitar away. It sits out in the living room and I pick it up every time I walk past.

Drives my daughter crazy when she's in class upstairs

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #67
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

90% of my playing these days is spent trying to learn polyphia songs. Would highly recommend for advanced players looking for a challenge. Their style is unique, fun to play and emulating their aggressive hybrid-picking style has forced me to learn some new tricks (I can tap with my middle and ring fingers now).

The music books they sell themselves are about 99% accurate, but it can be pretty hard to find accurate tabs from non official sources. This is a quality tab and lesson for one of their tunes:

Last edited by Matata; 04-07-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #68
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do any of you guys play (or like) Djent style?

I bought one of those finger exercise thingies. I got blistas on my fingas!
Old 12-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #69
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the best place to buy acoustic guitars in Calgary/Central Alberta?

I'd like to avoid any malls.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #70
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guitarworks acoustic store on 16th and 4th nw Calgary has a good selection as does Long and McQuade on 58th ave south Calgary.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #71
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I rented a guitar from Long and McQuade - $17 /mth.

Grabbed the Fender app and have been slugging away about an hour a night for almost a week now. My fingertips are killing me but damn this is fun - wish I tried this years ago.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
What's the best place to buy acoustic guitars in Calgary/Central Alberta?

I'd like to avoid any malls.
The Long & McQuade in Royal Oak is almost always quiet and has lots of selection, but I like the service best at the one off of Macleod.

I've found that Guitarworks' brand selection isn't as strong.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 11:35 PM   #73
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Guitarworks acoustic store on 16th and 4th nw Calgary has a good selection as does Long and McQuade on 58th ave south Calgary.
Robbie, I suspect it’s been a little while since you had a chance to go there.

They went a few years ago from the acoustic model to adding in a lot of high end electrics (lots of really cool custom Gibsons), then recently sold, and it’s now A Pratte guitars.

Really depends what you are looking for but for me. I bought a Nashville Gretsch and a Gibson Blues King there when it was still Guitarworks, but they don’t carry those brands any more.

You can see their inventory here.
https://apratteguitars.com/collections/acoustic-all
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #74
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I rented a guitar from Long and McQuade - $17 /mth.

Grabbed the Fender app and have been slugging away about an hour a night for almost a week now. My fingertips are killing me but damn this is fun - wish I tried this years ago.
Right on! I am happy for you.

Don't stress about starting late, having a consistent practice routine ~50 minutes a day will make up for lost time in a hurry.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #75
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Robbie, I suspect it’s been a little while since you had a chance to go there.

They went a few years ago from the acoustic model to adding in a lot of high end electrics (lots of really cool custom Gibsons), then recently sold, and it’s now A Pratte guitars.

Really depends what you are looking for but for me. I bought a Nashville Gretsch and a Gibson Blues King there when it was still Guitarworks, but they don’t carry those brands any more.

You can see their inventory here.
https://apratteguitars.com/collections/acoustic-all
Oh thanks didn't know it had been sold, yes it's been about 5 years since I've been there.
The Following User Says Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #76
jayswin

Exp:

Is there any Schecter guitar dealers in Calgary?
Old 12-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #77
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is there any Schecter guitar dealers in Calgary?
Not sure but saw this tonight:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/calga...rge/1543039574
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #78
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So with the lack of sports I have amped up my guitar learning journey? I started 2 weeks ago and am using the Justin Guitar app (Tried Fender Play, didn't like it). Anyone want to share stories about when they first started and any tips for progression? What guitar do you have? I am starting on a Squier. Btw I am a lefty and found out fast LH guitars are more expensive. Yes, I was suggested by a friend to try and learn right but I don't want to, would rather play left.

I tried twice, unsuccessfully, to learn guitar. I'm a lefty as well. The first try was about 25 years ago and I tried to learn on a RH guitar that my father had. It just didn't feel right and I couldn't get used to it. Then I tried again about 4 years ago with a LH guitar. It was a bit better but I found it difficult because everything seemed to be geared towards RH players. I've been thinking about giving it another try though.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #79
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I tried twice, unsuccessfully, to learn guitar. I'm a lefty as well. The first try was about 25 years ago and I tried to learn on a RH guitar that my father had. It just didn't feel right and I couldn't get used to it. Then I tried again about 4 years ago with a LH guitar. It was a bit better but I found it difficult because everything seemed to be geared towards RH players. I've been thinking about giving it another try though.
Sometimes it's the guitar you're using. The easiest guitars to learn on are classical guitars, followed by electrics and then acoustics. It's because as a beginner you have no callouses and because of that your fretting fingers spread over more surface area and can cause muting and buzzing.

A classical guitar has 3 metal strings wrapped around a long strand of silk and 3 nylon strings and they are very easy on your fingers so you can practice longer. Classical guitars have a slightly wider neck which helps clean up your technique especially if you have thicker fingers. Acoustic guitars have the thickest gauge strings and are great to play once you have already gained your callouses.

The negative to being a lefty is guitar selection, as only about 1% of all guitars made are left handed. If you've got a good guitar you'll be fine.

Just make sure your guitar has no warping. Quickly play each fret up the neck on each string and make sure there is no buzzing. Also run a finger up the bottom and top edge of the frets and make sure you can't feel any sharp edges, as that usually indicates that the wood has shrunk (dried out) and it never shrinks evenly so if that happens you will have warping.

There are advantages to learning as a lefty. It's easier to mirror what your instructor is playing (if the instructor is right handed). As a teacher I find that lefty's learn a bit faster so keep at it. It will come. Also, I use mirroring technique when I'm learning from a golf instructor and always look for a teacher that is a lefty (as I'm a right handed golfer and it works great).

Hope this helps a bit. Keep at it and have fun.

Last edited by robbie111; 01-07-2021 at 03:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #80
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Sometimes it's the guitar you're using. The easiest guitars to learn on are classical guitars, followed by electrics and then acoustics. It's because as a beginner you have no callouses and because of that your fretting fingers spread over more surface area and can cause muting and buzzing.

A classical guitar has 3 metal strings wrapped around a long strand of silk and 3 nylon strings and they are very easy on your fingers so you can practice longer. Classical guitars have a slightly wider neck which helps clean up your technique especially if you have thicker fingers. Acoustic guitars have the thickest gauge strings and are great to play once you have already gained your callouses.

The negative to being a lefty is guitar selection, as only about 1% of all guitars made are left handed. If you've got a good guitar you'll be fine.

Just make sure your guitar has no warping. Quickly play each fret up the neck on each string and make sure there is no buzzing. Also run a finger up the bottom and top edge of the frets and make sure you can't feel any sharp edges, as that usually indicates that the wood has shrunk (dried out) and it never shrinks evenly so if that happens you will have warping.

There are advantages to learning as a lefty. It's easier to mirror what your instructor is playing (if the instructor is right handed). As a teacher I find that lefty's learn a bit faster so keep at it. It will come. Also, I use mirroring technique when I'm learning from a golf instructor and always look for a teacher that is a lefty (as I'm a right handed golfer and it works great).

Hope this helps a bit. Keep at it and have fun.
The first time I tried (RH) was an electric and the second time (LH) was an acoustic. I did find it difficult getting my thick fingers on the right strings. Maybe I'll look at a classical. Thanks!

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post: